• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Rank 'Em

TheTrials

Craig Allen was all over it as early as Wednesday before the storm. I remember him talking about it during one of his afternoon broadcasts.

Yeah and he's usually very conservative-- you know when him and Nick Gregory are honking we have something major in the making!

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah,they were talking about it days in advance.I think that they waited to pull the trigger for our area after the Saturday 12z guidance rolled in.

I know Friday night they were talking about Philly and Southern Jersey getting hammered.I was hoping that it would work out like some of our earlier

storms where the models crept north 24 hours before the beginning of the storm.Since I grew up with enough big snowfall forecast busts through

the 70's and 80's,I didn't want to gets my hopes up too soon.

92 started the turn around. 80's were brutal, just brutal. When Dec. 92 came roaring through it broke through the snow/noreaster shield. After that save 97, 98, 99 and 01-02, its been amazing!

I hear ya, nothing will ever come close. Duration, cold temps, wind, snow accumulations, beautiful snow growth, it had everything and it leads the pack by ten miles. Its a 100 year storm without a doubt.

LOL..

December 2010 is EASILY as good as JAN 1996. It all fell in 20 hours as around 25 inches of snow has fallen here.

If it just took a bit longer it duration, easily 32-34 inches of snow. Jersey Shore and Union County got 28-32 inches from it. It just needed a bit more duration, say, 6 more hours, and it would have easily beaten JAN 1996 for NYC Metro... I mean, Brooklyn got 25" from DEC 2010, and 27-30" in JAN 1996.

BUT for PHILLY: JAN 1996 is the KING enough said.

those are some hefty dbz's from just the overrunning that just crushed philly.. then you can see the transfer to the coastal low with the banding that develops. That storm had a ton of moisture to work with. the radar reminds me of the radar from feb 6 2010, which imo is the storm that is most comparable to 1996. It would have tied it if it didnt get **** blocked.

Oh, FEB 6 2010 = NESIS 5 Blizzard, PHL got 28.5" and we all know what DC-BWI got, 30-35 inches.

I personally have the JAN 1996 AFDs for PHL, dear Lord...

Yes, I should have clear it up, IF it came up the coast and slammed NYC and BOS, then it likely would have been NESIS 5.

Has anyone run the numbers for 12/10? 1/11? (12th or 26-27; take your pick.) Can Boxing Day '10 reach NESIS 4 without doing much PHL south? I see the Jan storms as 2 or maybe 3.

Has anyone run the numbers for 12/10? 1/11? (12th or 26-27; take your pick.) Can Boxing Day '10 reach NESIS 4 without doing much PHL south? I see the Jan storms as 2 or maybe 3.

They were all 3s I believe. Except 1/26 which was a 2 even though it hit a larger area.

LOL..

December 2010 is EASILY as good as JAN 1996. It all fell in 20 hours as around 25 inches of snow has fallen here.

If it just took a bit longer it duration, easily 32-34 inches of snow. Jersey Shore and Union County got 28-32 inches from it. It just needed a bit more duration, say, 6 more hours, and it would have easily beaten JAN 1996 for NYC Metro... I mean, Brooklyn got 25" from DEC 2010, and 27-30" in JAN 1996.

BUT for PHILLY: JAN 1996 is the KING enough said.

Very dissapointing....:(

Boxing day was a 3, Jan 11-12 was a 3, and Jan 26-27 was a 1.

Boxing day was a 3, Jan 11-12 was a 3, and Jan 26-27 was a 1.

Wow not even a 2? Even though it dumped a significant amount of snow throughout the megalopolis (6" plus from what I recall) and a historic 19-20" up this way?

The snowfall for Jan 26-27 was much more widespread and of a much longer duration than Jan 11, which basically side swiped us... I know Jan 11 was ranked higher because of the higher peak amount of 30" or so, but I didn't know it was a difference of 2 whole categoies lol.

Wow not even a 2? Even though it dumped a significant amount of snow throughout the megalopolis (6" plus from what I recall) and a historic 19-20" up this way?

It simply didn't cover enough area. Even though it went along I-95, you didn't have to go far west to get screwed in that system. The 18-20" amounts were pretty isolated.

It simply didn't cover enough area. Even though it went along I-95, you didn't have to go far west to get screwed in that system. The 18-20" amounts were pretty isolated.

Oh yes, I remember now-- that certainly was a weird system in how the snowfall was distributed-- was that a northern stream system too, Will? I know Dec 26-27 was a Miller A but the northern stream is what screwed areas south of Philly.

The snowfall for Jan 26-27 was much more widespread and of a much longer duration than Jan 11, which basically side swiped us... I know Jan 11 was ranked higher because of the higher peak amount of 30" or so, but I didn't know it was a difference of 2 whole categoies lol.

That storm was insane. I have never seen a storm to that loop da loop before. The best part was that it rained in Boston while it snowed in NYC. The storm started out as snow then turned to drizzle in the afternoon and then it turned to heavy snow at night. My area received 18 inches.

That storm was insane. I have never seen a storm to that loop da loop before. The best part was that it rained in Boston while it snowed in NYC. The storm started out as snow then turned to drizzle in the afternoon and then it turned to heavy snow at night. My area received 18 inches.

I think you're talking about the February 25, 2010 Snowicane which did a retrograde. This thread was discussing the 1/27 snowstorm from this year.

The 1st 4-6" of the storm occurred in morning and in only a small area...the actual storm hit later that night and dropped 12"-14" more. The 16"-20" amounts were only in the areas that got hit with the morning surprise snow, like NYC.

Maybe the split in snow is counted as separate?

The 1st 4-6" of the storm occurred in morning and in only a small area...the actual storm hit later that night and dropped 12"-14" more. The 16"-20" amounts were only in the areas that got hit with the morning surprise snow, like NYC.

Maybe the split in snow is counted as separate?

We all got between 3-6 inches that morning. Unless you live way south of the city.

I think you're talking about the February 25, 2010 Snowicane which did a retrograde. This thread was discussing the 1/27 snowstorm from this year.

Oops sorry. I got the dates wrong. The 27 storm was also a great storm . I received 4 inches in the morning and 14 inches at night. The snow rates at night were insane.

Oops sorry. I got the dates wrong. The 27 storm was also a great storm . I received 4 inches in the morning and 14 inches at night. The snow rates at night were insane.

Yes, Jan 26.... 3" at morning than 12.5" in 4 hours, 15.5" total.

Archived