gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Rank 'Em

TheTrials

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about the longest snowstorm (in hours) that I've experienced...Most of these storms were over 24 hrs long...

March 1960...Started around 7am on the 3rd and ended early the next morning with very light snow flurries lingering into the next morning with a dusting on top...

February 1961...Started as very light snow in the afternoon of the 3rd and ended late afternoon on the 4th...

January 1964...Started around 9pm on the 11th and ended around 2am on the 13th...

February 1969...Started around 4am on the 9th and ended around 4am on the 10th...

February 1978...Started around midnight on the 5th and ended on the 7th in the early afternoon...

December 1995...Started the morning of the 19th and ended on the 20th in the evening...

January 1996...Started around 7am on the 7th and ended around 1pm on the 8th...

February 2003...Started in the afternoon on the 16th and ended in the afternoon on the 17th...

December 2003...Started the morning of the 5th and ended the next evening on the 6th...

The all time longest winter event happened between the evening of February 4th and the early morning of February 8th, 1920...4.20" of water equivalent and 17.5" of snow and sleet fell...Three different waves on a stalled front over lapping each other...December 2003 had two waves with a period of very light snow between them...

Guest Pamela

I was thinking about the longest snowstorm (in hours) that I've experienced...Most of these storms were over 24 hrs long...

March 1960...Started around 7am on the 3rd and ended early the next morning with very light snow flurries lingering into the next morning with a dusting on top...

February 1961...Started as very light snow in the afternoon of the 3rd and ended late afternoon on the 4th...

January 1964...Started around 9pm on the 11th and ended around 2am on the 13th...

February 1969...Started around 4am on the 9th and ended around 4am on the 10th...

February 1978...Started around midnight on the 5th and ended on the 7th in the early afternoon...

December 1995...Started the morning of the 19th and ended on the 20th in the evening...

February 2003...Started in the afternoon on the 16th and ended in the afternoon on the 17th...

December 2003...Started the morning of the 5th and ended the next evening on the 6th...

The all time longest winter event happened between the evening of February 4th and the early morning of February 8th, 1920...4.20" of water equivalent and 17.5" of snow and sleet fell...Three different waves on a stalled front over lapping each other...December 2003 had two waves with a period of very light snow between them...

The March 3rd - 5th, 2001 event (putting down just under 14" out here)...is right up there with the longest duration ones...I think close to 40 hours straight of light to moderate snow.....though it pales in comparison to the 100 hours storm that hit E. Massachusetts in late February, 1969...

Guest Pamela

Now this is a real winter thread, William has spoken.

Thnxs...winter talk always revives me from my summertime slumber...

Unc was the storm in 2/1920 the 17" sleet storm Chris always talks about?

The March 3rd - 5th, 2001 event (putting down just under 14" out here)...is right up there with the longest duration ones...I think close to 40 hours straight of light to moderate snow.....

For us and most people, the "snowstorm that never happened".

Dec 92 was a 50 hour event with a few breaks in between the heavier batches ...too bad it was mostly rain :-(

I saw that one in the hudson valley, and its duration was outstanding, but sadly after the first part of the event thursday night into friday morning, a lot of what fell friday into friday night didn't stick when temps got up to 34 or so. However, about 6pm that night into the next morning the temps fell and it stuck again. I would say I saw 11-12 inches into Friday and then another 6 inches or so friday night through saturday. That storm is probably #6 for me on my top 10. Wish it was colder.

Oh yeah.

they are so much fun to track, like an addiction

Lets pray for a BECS :popcorn:

biblical? 30" from Roanoke - Boston :o

think about it, 1996 is the trademark, the big daddy of all winter storms. But there is always something bigger and better out there.

they are so much fun to track, like an addiction

biblical? 30" from Roanoke - Boston :o

think about it, 1996 is the trademark, the big daddy of all winter storms. But there is always something bigger and better out there.

If we get a weak La Nina, we will be in business :)

Lets pray for a BECS :popcorn:

Let's see what would be the criteria for it:

1) Thirty inch snowfall accumulations at one of the following reporting stations: KEWR, KNYC, KLGA, KJFK.

2) Widespread wind gusts of at least fifty miles an hour for at least three hours.

3) At least moderate beach erosion on either the Long Island or New Jersey coastlines.

Let's see what would be the criteria for it:

1) Thirty inch snowfall accumulations at one of the following reporting stations: KEWR, KNYC, KLGA, KJFK.

2) Widespread wind gusts of at least fifty miles an hour for at least three hours.

3) At least moderate beach erosion on either the Long Island or New Jersey coastlines.

That would be my criteria also. I believe March 1888 would have met that-- there were reports of over 30" near the present day site of LGA. Feb 1899 about 100 miles farther north would have done so also-- looking at the 35" at Cape May.

its from 1/96

He knows, he was trying to turn it around, lol, but look at that radar, it absolutely crushes boxing day in duration and coverage. Even some of the banding down towards philly looks as impressive as boxing day. It truly had it all.

He knows, he was trying to turn it around, lol, but look at that radar, it absolutely crushes boxing day in duration and coverage. Even some of the banding down towards philly looks as impressive as boxing day. It truly had it all.

those are some hefty dbz's from just the overrunning that just crushed philly.. then you can see the transfer to the coastal low with the banding that develops. That storm had a ton of moisture to work with. the radar reminds me of the radar from feb 6 2010, which imo is the storm that is most comparable to 1996. It would have tied it if it didnt get **** blocked.

those are some hefty dbz's from just the overrunning that just crushed philly.. then you can see the transfer to the coastal low with the banding that develops. That storm had a ton of moisture to work with. the radar reminds me of the radar from feb 6 2010, which imo is the storm that is most comparable to 1996. It would have tied it if it didnt get **** blocked.

The overrunning really got everyone and there was thunder in it before the banding. The temps were so cold, you are looking at 20-1 almost 25-1 ratios there. Its a thing of beauty a 100 year storm.

Here's a classic HPC discussion from January 3,1996:

"THERE ARE SOME SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES WITH THE MODELS RESOLUTION OF THE SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE TROUGH THAT MOVES THROUGH THE ROCKIES BY SATURDAY JANUARY 6 (DAY 3) AND INTO THE PLAINS ON SUN JANUARY 7 (DAY 4). THE ECMWF IS SHOWING THE MOST DEFINITION TO THIS SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE TROUGH AND SUBSEQUENTLY HAS A 1010 MB LOW MOVING FROM THE NORTHERN GA/AL BORDER ON SUN JANUARY 7 (DAY 4) AND BOMBING OFF THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST (984 MB) BY MON JANUARY 8 (DAY 5). THE MRF IS MUCH MORE FRAGMENTED AND POSITIVELY TILTED WITH THIS TROUGH AND SUBSEQUENTLY HAS ONLY A WEAK 1014 MB WAVE SHEARING OFF THE SOUTHEASTERN COAST ON SUN JANUARY 7 (DAY 4). THE RESOLUTION OF SHORT WAVES IN THE BASE OF TROUGHS IS AN AREA THE MRF OFTEN DOES A POOR JOB WITH....WE ARE TRENDING MORE TOWARD THE ECMWF

"THERE ARE SOME SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES WITH THE MODELS RESOLUTION OF THE SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE TROUGH THAT MOVES THROUGH THE ROCKIES BY SATURDAY JANUARY 6 (DAY 3) AND INTO THE PLAINS ON SUN JANUARY 7 (DAY 4). THE ECMWF IS SHOWING THE MOST DEFINITION TO THIS SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE TROUGH AND SUBSEQUENTLY HAS A 1010 MB LOW MOVING FROM THE NORTHERN GA/AL BORDER ON SUN JANUARY 7 (DAY 4) AND BOMBING OFF THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST (984 MB) BY MON JANUARY 8 (DAY 5). THE MRF IS MUCH MORE FRAGMENTED AND POSITIVELY TILTED WITH THIS TROUGH AND SUBSEQUENTLY HAS ONLY A WEAK 1014 MB WAVE SHEARING OFF THE SOUTHEASTERN COAST ON SUN JANUARY 7 (DAY 4). THE RESOLUTION OF SHORT WAVES IN THE BASE OF TROUGHS IS AN AREA THE MRF OFTEN DOES A POOR JOB WITH....WE ARE TRENDING MORE TOWARD THE ECMWF

That's a awesome find. Do you have anymore

The GFS sucked then too (it was the MRF then). Here is a great PDF with a huge write up after the storm. They didn't do this for boxing day if that says something.

http://www.nws.noaa....pdfs/bz-mrg.pdf

That's a awesome find. Do you have anymore

That's the PDF it's from.

The GFS sucked then too (it was the MRF then). Here is a great PDF with a huge write up after the storm. They didn't do once for boxing day if that says something.

http://www.nws.noaa....pdfs/bz-mrg.pdf

I can remember listening to 1010 WINS later Saturday morning after the 12z model runs were in.

I knew that it was going to be a great storm when they talked about the models upping the snowfall

amounts for our area.

That's the PDF it's from.

I can remember listening to 1010 WINS later Saturday morning when the 12z model runs were in.

I knew that it was going to be a great storm when they said that the models were bringing the

heavy snow north of Philly to our area.

Craig Allen was all over it as early as Wednesday before the storm. I remember him talking about it during one of his afternoon broadcasts.

Craig Allen was all over it as early as Wednesday before the storm. I remember him talking about it during one of his afternoon broadcasts.

Yeah,they were talking about it days in advance.I think that they waited to pull the trigger for our area after the Saturday 12z guidance rolled in.

I know Friday night they were talking about Philly and Southern Jersey getting hammered.I was hoping that it would work out like some of our earlier

storms where the models crept north 24 hours before the beginning of the storm.Since I grew up with enough big snowfall forecast busts through

the 70's and 80's,I didn't want to gets my hopes up too soon.

Archived