The Hudson Valley Thread

IrishRob17

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check that, I guess I needed more coffee this morning, I see that my low was 17 or 16.8 for those who go to the tenth. :arrowhead:

Oh, I don't know if I'm smart enough to explain it much more but I've wondered if I fall in the warmer porion of that image too.

Where I am, the hills are just to the west of me. The downslope levels out a bit on my property and then continues to lose elevation to the east of me. So I'm not truly in the hills valley, just a somewhat level point on its way down. The hills do play havoc with the winds, sometimes shelter me from westerly winds and other times change their direction so a westerly or NW winds becomes from the east or NE or SE.

Where I am, the hills are just to the west of me. The downslope levels out a bit on my property and then continues to lose elevation to the east of me. So I'm not truly in the hills valley, just a somewhat level point on its way down. The hills do play havoc with the winds, sometimes shelter me from westerly winds and other times change their direction so a westerly or NW winds becomes from the east or NE or SE.

While I don't know much about them I find micro climates very interesting so I'm always looking for more information on them.

Light snow showers/flurries in and around Goshen in the past hour.

Didn't make a coating over here but did manage a dusting. This combined with the falling snow made for a nice evening walking and looking at Christmas lights here in the park.

Coming home from work last night I went to Middletown to shop, getting off Rt 17 at Rt 211 I was surprised to see a flizard occuring. Everything was covered with a bit of snow. Coming back home I noticed as soon as I was out of Walkill, nothing was on the ground. Friday morning low was 9F, this morning low was 20F.

Currently at 27.0. Clear skies and calm winds have had it drop off nice. Forcast low IMBY is for 29. Also, the ground surface is frozen, going to have some ZR a quick runoff tomorrow.

Uptons short term.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

752 PM EST SAT DEC 11 2010

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM SUNDAY MORNING/...

-- Changed Discussion --TEMPS THIS EVENING HAVE COOLED DOWN QUICKER THAN FORECAST. UPDATED

DATABASE BASED ON LATEST TRENDS AND OBSERVATIONS. DEPENDING ON

HOW QUICKLY TEMPS WARM...AND HOW FAST PRECIP MOVES IN FROM THE

SOUTH WILL DETERMINE EXACTLY WHERE FZRA OCCURS. IT DOES APPEAR

THAT ADVISORIES ARE FINE WHERE THEY ARE...EVEN NORTHERN MIDDLESEX

AND NORTHERN NEW LONDON COUNTIES. THIS WILL OF COURSE NEED TO BE

MONITORED...BUT I DO BELIEVE THAT ANY FROZEN PRECIP OUTSIDE OF THE

ADVISORY AREA WOULD BE VERY SHORT LIVED.

MODELS IN REASONABLE AGREEMENT THROUGH SUN MORNING. STRONG LOW

PRES CONTINUES TO DIG THROUGH THE GREAT LAKES AND WILL APPROACH

THE OH VALLEY BY DAYBREAK. AHEAD OF THIS LOW...A WARM FRONT

ASSOCIATED WITH WEAK LOW PRES WILL LIFT ALONG THE COAST AND

TOWARDS THE NORTHEAST.

AS THE WARM FRONT APPROACHES FROM THE SOUTH...SOME LIGHT RAIN

WILL DEVELOP ACROSS THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE CWA. FOR THE

INTERIOR...DESPITE AN INCREASE IN CLOUDS...SFC TEMPS LOOK TO STAY

AT OR BELOW FREEZING FOR A GOOD PART OF THE NIGHT. WITH AN

INCREASING EASTERLY FLOW...TEMPS IN THE MIDDLE LAYERS OF THE

ATMOSPHERE LOOK TO WARM TO 2-4C WHILE SFC TEMPS SLOWLY WARM ABOVE

FREEZING. AS SUCH...ANY PRECIP THAT FALLS WILL FALL AS A PERIOD OF

FREEZING RAIN...WITH PRECIP MIXING WITH AND CHANGING TO RAIN BY

DAYBREAK SUN.

FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IN EFFECT FOR INTERIOR LOCALES FROM AROUND

MIDNIGHT TONIGHT THROUGH SUN MORNING. TOTAL ICE ACCRETION LOOKS TO

BE LESS THAN 0.10 INCH.

FOR SOUTHERN ZONES...LESS THAN 1/4 INCH QPF EXPECTED.

LOWS OCCUR THIS EVENING...THEN RISE OVERNIGHT.-- End Changed Discussion --

I was walking the dogs at around 12:45am, clear sky at that time. Did anyone get any freezig rain or sleet overnight? I don't think I had any. Had some rain this morning, nothing to speak of this afternoon.

last night around 2am was a nightmare to drive on Rt. 6 & 17... I was all over the place and every other car was either in a ditch or on the side waiting for the salters.. primarily around Harriman is where i noticed the most ice. Once I got up to Middletown ice was spotty..

I have a heavy coating too. :weight_lift: The difference here is there's almost no wind at all. Most of the main roads had dried off after the rain but most of the side roads were still wet and have to be kinda sketchy right now.

Have a coating down as of 9:00. streets are snow covered. Still light snow falling and radar filling in slightly. 25.8.

I'll up my estimate and say we are approaching 1 inch here now..where it doesn't blow away.... In my open areas it is just unreal with the intense wind and horizontal light to moderate snowfall. This is hard core winter at its best despite only minor snowfall. 14.5F.

I just walked 400 feet back to the horses and they are tough...nosing around through the powder snow looking for hay or whatever..oblivious to the conditions, but they do have thick winter coats now.

Hope the winds take it your way. Snow machine effect snows.:thumbsup:

I'll up my estimate and say we are approaching 1 inch here now..where it doesn't blow away.... In my open areas it is just unreal with the intense wind and horizontal light to moderate snowfall. This is hard core winter at its best despite only minor snowfall. 14.5F.

I just walked 400 feet back to the horses and they are tough...nosing around through the powder snow looking for hay or whatever..oblivious to the conditions, but they do have thick winter coats now.

I was just out walking the dogs, nice & nasty 19F very windy with snow. The wind is howling overhead.

Archived