• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
HEAT WAVE 6 now underway....probably will last 5 days

Deck Pic

To the general American Wx forums posters - If you happen to live near a body of water that modifies your extreme summer/winter temp readings.......................................

Don't get mad - get GLAD -- MOVE far away from the water. Try the northern or central plains

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to respectfully submit that Dale City does not have to deal with a nearby RIVER that modifies temps - while DCA DOES have to contend with the POTOMAC

It was hot as hell out there this afternoon - at least 100 degrees with dews easily in the 77 to 79 degree range

at least 99 degrees for a high with 77 dews

Even the NWS is calling for high 90s with an EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING and HI's near 114

Who said I was comparing it directly to DCAin this instance? No crap the river's going to do something to it with that S wind.

101 degrees with a 79 degree dewpoint which translates to 121 degree heat index

man that's real hot - this is NO time for a jebwalk

high earlier was 103, HI was 127

While not completely trustworthy of the 101/79, I did say it was plausible. Not just for the temp, but for the dewpoint as well. Like I said, it should at least be scrutinized, i.e. checked for validity. As for the high of 103... No official reporting stations hit 103 in the DC/MD/VA region (highest was 100 at multiple stations). Reading, PA and Raleigh, NC hit 102 and Fayetteville, NC hit 103, but we aren't near those. This is why I'm doubtful that it occurred, though it is within my subjective range of validity.

Why?

HI is fun but not the same as getting 3 in a row 100+. missing by one is lame... Tho that assumes we get there Sat I guess. This has been super hyped so I want some prize coming out of it.

I wouldnt go as far as the drudge people with heat index but if that's top billing you gotta feel something is lacking. Tomorrow should be big tho.

Although, just 100 is not that special. To me, the cutoff is 102-- above 102 is an amazing number to look at no matter what the humidity is, because that's top 5 territory for our area.

99/77 is a bigger deal and ought to be a bigger news story (impact on people, etc.) than 100/61.

Although, just 100 is not that special. To me, the cutoff is 102-- above 102 is an amazing number to look at no matter what the humidity is, because that's top 5 territory for our area.

99/77 is a bigger deal and ought to be a bigger news story (impact on people, etc.) than 100/61.

Yeah, I think that's all true. But personally I could barely tell a difference between today and when we hit 102 in June, or other similarly high-level heat days. I think I just grew up in a way where I spent most of my summer life in A/C and/or near a pool. Once you cross a certain threshold for the body it all feels kinda terrible and can make you sick if you're not careful. Sure it happens a bit quicker with dews in the upper 70s and temps around 100, but weather is so sensational these days...

All time high at Elmira NY of 104.. nice.

As the heat has shifted east every day the past week, I think it's a safe bet DCA/IAD hit 102+ tomorrow, potentially 104-105 as the GFS has been consistently indicating for IAD.

Who wants to guess the overnight minimums? I'd say 79-82 for IAD and 81-84 for DCA tonight... tomorrow's could be even higher.

As the heat has shifted east every day the past week, I think it's a safe bet DCA/IAD hit 102+ tomorrow, potentially 104-105 as the GFS has been consistently indicating for IAD.

Who wants to guess the overnight minimums? I'd say 79-82 for IAD and 81-84 for DCA tonight... tomorrow's could be even higher.

Tomorrow will require even more thermometer gazing than today... could be a fun one. GFS mos is probably close, but it could be a bit cool at DCA/BWI with moderate to good downslope flow.

IAD has a legit shot to have this be the longest stretch of 100+ there, tho the records of course are much smaller than the other two. Still, both BWI/DCA have done 3-days a few times since IAD has been there when it was unable to get there.

Overall it's a pretty big start.. this is clearly one of the upper-end heat waves you see at least intensity wise if not longevity. The river sucks.. 45 minutes off wind off the hellzone to the w/sw of the airport would have given them 100+.

I'll root for all time record low minimums too if I have to.

Tomorrow will require even more thermometer gazing than today... could be a fun one. GFS mos is probably close, but it could be a bit cool at DCA/BWI with moderate to good downslope flow.

IAD has a legit shot to have this be the longest stretch of 100+ there, tho the records of course are much smaller than the other two. Still, both BWI/DCA have done 3-days a few times since IAD has been there when it was unable to get there.

Overall it's a pretty big start.. this is clearly one of the upper-end heat waves you see at least intensity wise if not longevity. The river sucks.. 45 minutes off wind off the hellzone to the w/sw of the airport would have given them 100+.

I'll root for all time record low minimums too if I have to.

The IAD record minimum is a no brainer at this point, IMO. The level of development around IAD has just increased so much recently it doesn't radiate like it used to, and it has become obvious both in summer and winter.

DCA is less likely but still possible.

The IAD record minimum is a no brainer at this point, IMO. The level of development around IAD has just increased so much recently it doesn't radiate like it used to, and it has become obvious both in summer and winter.

DCA is less likely but still possible.

May have a shot at the all time high too. Tie at least. I Elmira can hit 104 why can't Dulles?

May have a shot at the all time high too. Tie at least. I Elmira can hit 104 why can't Dulles?

Yup.

This is going a teensy bit OT but it really sucks that IAD's records are basically a useless comparison at this point as the norms are changing so rapidly. As the Silver Line corridor becomes much denser over the next decade + (Tysons, Reston, eventually Leesburg) IAD is basically going to become an urban reporting station. I'd expect a continued rapid rise in IAD's minimums until the 2030s at the earliest, and while it will never be quite as hot as DCA, it will be much more representative of a built-up and urban environment.

Archived