• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Upcoming Snow Threat for East TN, Southwest VA, and NC Mountains...

Blue Ridge

MRX is finally biting on this weekend's clipper. Rain to snow, with a prolonged upslope event beginning Sunday for most across the area...

LONG TERM...(FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY)...LARGE NE U.S./ATLC CN VORTEX CONTINUES THROUGH PERIOD. COLD SPELL SETTING UP WITH THIS LARGE LOW DROPPING ANCHOR. CANADIAN MAX TEMPS IN THE TEENS UPSTREAM POINT TO GOOD ONSET OF WINTRY CONDITIONS. NW FLOW WILL DOMINATE AND HAVE AGAIN TRENDING TOWARD A COLDER FORECAST. FRIDAY UPPER RIDGING HAS SUPPRESSED COMPARED TO PREVIOUS RUNS SO WARM UP NOT AS PRONOUNCED. SURFACE COLD FRONT WILL SLIDE INTO THE AREA FROM THE NW. STRENGTHENING SHORT WAVE PUNCHES INTO THE AREA LATE FRI/EARLY SAT.AVAILABLE MOISTURE NICELY UP TO .5 PWS AS THE SHORT WAVE MOVES THROUGH INTO SUNDAY. SUFFICIENT RH IN THE SNOW GROWTH REGION. TRENDED FORECAST FOR SNOW UPWARD FOR THE WEEKEND AND MAY BE UNDONE. TIMING AND DAYTIME WARM UP REMAIN IN QUESTION AND ODDS ARE SNOW POTENTIAL MAY INCREASE WITH FUTURE MODEL RUNS. WEAK SURFACE LOW TRAVELS ALONG FRONT AND MOVES THROUGH THE AREA ON SAT. LARGE HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM WITH REINFORCING COLD AIR ADVECTION BUILDS IN BEHIND LOW. SNOW SHOWERS AND FLURRIES WILL LINGER ACROSS NE TN/SW VA/SMOKIES INTO THE MID WEEK. HAVE DOWNPLAYED THIS ACTIVITY FOR NOW.

This, from Greer:

SHORT TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT/...AS OF 215 AM THURSDAY...WEST TO NORTHWEST FLOW THROUGH A DEEP LAYER TO PROVIDE FAIR WX FOR FRIDAY AND MAX TEMPS REMAIN PROGGED TO BE WITHIN A CATEGORY OF CLIMO. WITHIN THE FAST NW FLOW ALOFT...THICKENING MID-LVL CLOUDS LOOK TO STREAK SE AHEAD OF THE FAST MOVING SYSTEM TRANSLATING ACRS THE MIDWEST. WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE NC MTN FLURRIES OR LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS FALLING OUTOF VFR LVL CLOUD DESK BY EARLY SATURDAY MORNING. ALONG AND AHEAD OF AFOREMENTIONED SYSTEM...A FAIRLY STOUT SLUG OFFORCING IS SLATED TO ENCROACH SATURDAY AND HAVE RAISED PCPN CHANCES...ESPECIALLY ACRS WESTERN NC WHERE SHORT RANGE MODEL CONSENSUS YIELDS THE GREATEST RESPONSE. WITH MAIN S/WV PASSAGE EXPECTED SATURDAY NIGHT...FTHL/PIEDMONT POPS DROP OFF ACCORDINGLY BUT NC MTN SNOW SHOWER CHANCES WILL LINGER WITHIN THE UPSLOPE AND CAA LLVL FLOW. FCST THERMAL PROFILES WOULD SUGGEST ACCUMULATING SNOW SHOWER CHANCES WILL BE ELEVATION DEPENDENT AND WILL PLANON FCSTG AN INCH OR TWO AT THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE NC MTNS.&&.LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...AS OF 115 AM THURSDAY...THERE ARE MODEL DIFFERENCES IN THE MEDIUM RANGE FORECAST...BUT LEANING TOWARD THE ECMWF. BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF DO SEEM TO AGREE THAT TEMPERATURES WILL GET PROGRESSIVELY COLDER DURING THE FIRST HALF OF NEXT WEEK. THE MOST RECENT GFS TAKESMUCH OF THE NW FLOW SNOW OUT AND TRENDS IT CLOSER TO THE ECMWF. THE ECMWF HAS NW FLOW SNOW FOR THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS BUT THEN DRIES IT UP TUESDAY NIGHT. COLDEST THICKNESSES POINT TO TUESDAY AS THE MORE BRUTAL DAY. THE GFS CERTAINLY HAS THE DEEPER UPPER TROUGH OVER THE EAST COAST. AS THE LOW WILL BE NEAR MAINE AND THE SURFACE HIGH MOVING SLOWLY SOUTH ACROSS THE PLAINS...STRONG COLD AIR ADVECTION WILL BE PRESENT OVER ALL OUR REGION LATE WEEKEND AND THROUGH THE FIRST OF NEXT WEEK.

This deserves it's own thread imo, first sig upslope event of the year, and should be a good one, especially for early December. Hope most of it stays on the ground till after X-mas, as we would like to take a trip to the mountains last week of the month. :snowman: What is considered a "major" upslope event for the most favored areas, both in amount and duration? Just wondering if these are chase worthy for 1' foot plus over a couple day period. :bike:

This deserves it's own thread imo, first sig upslope event of the year, and should be a good one, especially for early December. Hope most of it stays on the ground till after X-mas, as we would like to take a trip to the mountains last week of the month. :snowman: What is considered a "major" upslope event for the most favored areas, both in amount and duration? Just wondering if these are chase worthy for 1' foot plus over a couple day period. :bike:

Widespread 6-12 inch totals with more than a few 12-18 inch totals across the highest, most favorable spots would be considered major. Usually that is spread out across two days or more, but the bulk of that snow can drop at the onset, as the first and second shortwaves tend to be the strongest and hit when the most moisture is available. I recall last winter (and possible '08-'09 as well) having an event so dynamic that the border counties were under blizzard warnings. As far as pure "flow snow" is concerned, my highest total last season was eight inches - not bad given that I am around 2100' in elevation (living at the base of a west-facing slope certainly helps).

I don't see this event dropping that much, but it certainly could last well over forty-eight hours.

Widespread 6-12 inch totals with more than a few 12-18 inch totals across the highest, most favorable spots would be considered major. Usually that is spread out across two days or more, but the bulk of that snow can drop at the onset, as the first and second shortwaves tend to be the strongest and hit when the most moisture is available. I recall last winter (and possible '08-'09 as well) having an event so dynamic that the border counties were under blizzard warnings. As far as pure "flow snow" is concerned, my highest total last season was eight inches - not bad given that I am around 2100' in elevation (living at the base of a west-facing slope certainly helps).

I don't see this event dropping that much, but it certainly could last well over forty-eight hours.

Yes, I remember the Blizzard warnings very well. Last year was a awesome winter, especially for NW flow/Upslope snow. It seemed to last all winter :thumbsup:

Going to be interesting to see how MRX handles this event :popcorn:

That was one of my favorite upslope events of all time. I had over 12 inches with a 36 hour period of blizzard conditions. Ended up with about 15 inches the best I could measure. At the top of my property at about 4300' there were 6 to 8 foot drifts. That was a great 4 days!

It has to be awesome knowing all you need is a NW trajectory off the lakes to see snow/ compared to threading of the needle needed on this side of the apps. We left south GA when I was young in the 70's and lived in northern Buncombe county for 5 years before trucking off down east. Those 5 winters as a kid are what developed my fascination&love with weather, espeacilly snow. Never take that 4300 feet for granted

MRX still being conservative IMO

.LONG TERM...(SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY)...MODELS RELATIVELY

CLOSE IN DEPICTION OF THIS PERIOD OF THE FORECAST. THE SOUTHERN

APPALACHIAN REGION HAS ENJOYED ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES DEEP INTO

LATE FALL. THIS PERIOD WILL BE CHARACTERIZED BY WELL BELOW NORMAL

TEMPERATURES AS MEAN UPPER LEVEL TROUGHING FORMS OVER THE EASTERN

U.S. THE FIRST SHORTWAVE WILL BE EXITING SATURDAY NIGHT TAKING

DEEPER MOISTURE EAST OF THE REGION BY SUNDAY MORNING. CHILLY AIR

WILL STREAM INTO THE REGION ON STRENGTHENING NORTHWEST FLOW

RESULTING IN LIGHT RAIN CHANGING TO VERY LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS

THE LOWER ELEVATIONS OF NORTHEAST TENNESSEE. THIS WILL BE THE

BEGINNING OF A LENGTHY PERIOD OF COLD AIR ADVECTION OROGRAPHICALLY

INDUCED SNOW SHOWERS. AS IS USUALLY THE CASE IN THIS TYPE OF PATTERN

EFFECTIVE SNOWFALL WILL BE MAINLY LIMITED TO THE HIGHER TERRAIN

ACROSS SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA...NORTHEAST TENNESSEE AND THE SMOKY

MOUNTAINS. SOME UNCERTAINTY IN COLD AIR ARRIVAL AND DEEPER MOISTURE

DEPARTURE SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY BUT THE HIGHER TERRAIN COULD

PICK UP AROUND AN INCH OF SNOW BY 12Z SUN WITH AN ADDITIONAL HALF

INCH BY 00Z MON WITH A DUSTING IN THE LOWEST ELEVATIONS ACROSS

SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA. HELD ONTO SOME SLIGHT CHANCE POPS SUNDAY NIGHT

INTO MONDAY AS THE NORTHWEST FLOW CONTINUES WITH MOIST FETCH OFF THE

GREAT LAKES. MODELS PICK UP ON ANOTHER SHORTWAVE FEATURE FOR LATER

TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING. THEREFORE APPLIED SLIGHT CHANCE POPS

FOR SNOW SHOWERS MAINLY ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN FEATURES INCLUDING

THE NORTHERN CUMBERLAND PLATEAU...MOUNTAINS OF SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA

AND HIGHER TERRAIN IN NORTHEAST TENNESSEE AND ALONG THE NORTH

CAROLINA BORDER. OROGRAPHICS COULD ALLOW FOR SNOW ACCUMULATION IN

THESE AREAS. THE NORTHWEST FLOW FINALLY WEAKENS AND DRIES OUT BY

WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY AS HIGH TEMPERATURES ONLY SLOWLY

MODERATE.

I had some hope last night for this one for my area but much less now. The axis of moisture is mainly East of me and WAA will likely allow it to fall as rain here when the bulk of the precip arrives. I am hoping it can start snowing early and not allow as much warming but I am not holding out hope. The GFS is painting me with .5-1 inch of snow by Sunday. I was showing 1-2 earlier but backed off that.

The 0z NAM is very moist with this and paints alot of 6-10 inch amounts in the Eastern Mtn counties of Tennessee and extreme Western NC and some 3-6 inch amounts in SE Kentucky/SW Virginia.

The path of heavier snow shifted a little bit south on there, hope it keeps it up enough to get me into the 1 inch range at least.

To get those types of totals with a NWFS event you need a good Lake Michigan and Lake Superior connection to the flow. It looks like that type of trajectory sets up pretty well on Monday on the back side of the clipper. The amounts should be around 4-6" with the system snows. then 12" + with the NWFS Sunday-Tuesday. Great paper on the this types of set=up can be found here. http://www.erh.noaa....oster_final.pdf

Things are starting to look significantly more interesting for at least the WNC and Piedmont. 06z Nam is on board to a rain/snow event from the clipper in the NC mountains, quickly going over to snow as Saturday evening progresses. Depending on the timing, there could be spots in the foothills and points north of I-40 that might be able to get in on the action too. The gfs is warmer and not as bullish on precipitation amounts, but it also suggests a borderline rain/snow event for most of the NC mountains. Of course the upslope machine gets cranking shortly afterwards, and the Nam is suggesting some lake enhancement by Sunday afternoon. Looks like a nice wintry weekend!

MRX being tight lipped about the event as JKL already has a SPS out.:whistle:

A DYNAMIC CLIPPER SYSTEM WILL CUT THROUGH EAST KENTUCKY OVER THE

WEEKEND BRINGING THE FIRST ACCUMULATING SNOW OF THE SEASON TO MANY

LOCATIONS. THE SNOW IS ANTICIPATED TO MOVE INTO THE AREA LATE TONIGHT

AND SPREAD QUICKLY FROM NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST BY DAWN SATURDAY. THE

SNOW WILL THEN PICK UP IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY DURING THE DAY

SATURDAY. HOWEVER...WARMER AIR LOOKS TO PUSH INTO THE CUMBERLAND

VALLEY AND SEEP NORTHEAST BY AFTERNOON AND WILL LIKELY ALLOW RAIN TO

MIX WITH THE SNOW AS FAR NORTH AS THE MOUNTAIN PARKWAY. PLACES THAT

SEE RAIN WILL HAVE THEIR SNOW TOTALS CUT DOWN AS MUCH OF IT WILL MELT

AND WASH AWAY.

COLDER AIR WILL CHANGE ALL REMAINING PRECIPITATION TO SNOW LATER

SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGHOUT THE REGION YIELDING ADDITIONAL LIGHT

ACCUMULATIONS TO MOST LOCATIONS. THE HIGHER TERRAIN NEAR THE VIRGINIA

BORDER WILL HAVE THE BEST CHANCE TO SEE MULTIPLE INCHES OF SNOW FROM

THIS WEATHER MAKER AS THEY WILL LIKELY STAY COLD ENOUGH FOR THE

PRECIPITATION TO REMAIN AS ALL SNOW THROUGH THE DAY SATURDAY AND THE

SNOW SHOWERS THERE WILL LINGER LONGER INTO THE DAY ON SUNDAY.

TRAVELERS OVER THE WEEKEND WILL NEED TO BE PREPARED FOR SLICK SPOTS

ON AREA ROADS DURING THE SNOW. THEY ALSO NEED TO BE AWARE OF THE

POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED VISIBILITY WHERE THE SNOW COMES

DOWN THE HEAVIEST. REMEMBER THAT BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES TYPICALLY

FREEZE AND BECOME SLICK BEFORE OTHER ROAD SURFACES.

STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE MEDIA OUTLET FOR

FURTHER UPDATES AND POSSIBLE ADVISORIES OR WARNINGS FOR THIS ADVERSE

WEATHER SITUATION.

$

GREIF

MRX finally

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN

258 PM EST FRI DEC 3 2010

TNZ012>018-035>047-067>074-VAZ001-002-005-006-008-040830-

SCOTT TN-CAMPBELL-CLAIBORNE-HANCOCK-HAWKINS-SULLIVAN-JOHNSON-

MORGAN-ANDERSON-UNION-GRAINGER-HAMBLEN-NORTHWEST COCKE-

COCKE SMOKY MOUNTAINS-NORTHWEST GREENE-SOUTHEAST GREENE-

WASHINGTON TN-UNICOI-NORTHWEST CARTER-SOUTHEAST CARTER-ROANE-

LOUDON-KNOX-JEFFERSON-NW BLOUNT-BLOUNT SMOKY MOUNTAINS-

NORTH SEVIER-SEVIER SMOKY MOUNTAINS-LEE-WISE-SCOTT-RUSSELL-

WASHINGTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ONEIDA...LA FOLLETTE...TAZEWELL...

SNEEDVILLE...ROGERSVILLE...KINGSPORT...BRISTOL...MOUNTAIN CITY...

WARTBURG...CLINTON...OAK RIDGE...MAYNARDVILLE...RUTLEDGE...

MORRISTOWN...NEWPORT...COSBY...GREENEVILLE...CEDAR CREEK...

JOHNSON CITY...ERWIN...ELIZABETHTON...ROAN MOUNTAIN...KINGSTON...

LENOIR CITY...KNOXVILLE...DANDRIDGE...MARYVILLE...CADES COVE...

SEVIERVILLE...GATLINBURG...JONESVILLE...WISE...NORTON...

GATE CITY...LEBANON...ABINGDON

258 PM EST FRI DEC 3 2010

...ACCUMULATING SNOW EXPECTED ACROSS SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA AND PARTS

OF NORTHEAST TENNESSEE LATE SATURDAY INTO SUNDAY MORNING...

AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL STRENGTHEN OVER THE MID MISSISSIPPI

VALLEY REGION TONIGHT...THEN MOVE EAST ACROSS THE TENNESSEE VALLEY

AND SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS SATURDAY NIGHT.

A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW WILL SPREAD INTO THE REGION ON SATURDAY...

THEN CHANGE TO MOSTLY SNOW SHOWERS BY SATURDAY NIGHT...AS COLDER

AIR IN THE LOWER LEVELS SPREADS SOUTH BEHIND THE LOW PRESSURE

SYSTEM.

AT THIS TIME...SOME SNOW ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED ACROSS MOST OF

SOUTHWESTERN VIRGINIA AND IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF NORTHEAST

TENNESSEE. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS MAY AVERAGE AROUND 1 TO 4 INCHES BY

SUNDAY MORNING IN THESE AREAS...WITH ISOLATED SPOTS UP TO AROUND 5

INCHES POSSIBLE ABOVE 3500 FEET. ALSO...A DUSTING UP TO ONE INCH OF

SNOW COULD OCCUR OVER HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE NORTHERN CUMBERLAND

PLATEAU...AND UP TO TWO INCHES IN THE SMOKY MOUNTAINS.

THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL VALLEY COUNTIES OF EAST TENNESSEE ARE NOT

LIKELY TO MEASURE MUCH MORE THAN TRACE AMOUNTS TO LESS THAN ONE

INCH OF SNOW FROM THIS FAST MOVING SYSTEM.

HOWEVER...THE COLDER AIR WILL MOVE INTO THE REGION FOR THE REST OF

THE WEEKEND INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK. THIS WILL CAUSE HIGH TEMPERATURES

TO STAY ABOUT 15 TO 20 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL.

STAY TUNED FOR LATER FORECASTS...STATEMENTS AND WINTER WEATHER

ADVISORIES IF NEEDED.

$$

TG

JKL dramatically lowered their high temp expectations for tomorrow. Now showing highs only in the mid 30s for their TN border counties. Last night they were predicted mid to upper 40s for the same areas.

If that comes to pass I can't see there being much of a change over to rain.

Looks like nearly 10 degrees of difference on the border near Middlesboro. Somebodys definately way off. Probably MRX.:whistle:

MRX:

Short term...(tonight through sunday)...comms problems with AWIPS sbn limited model and MOS data for this forecast package. However there was some continuity and help from National guidance...plus previous grids were on track and good coordination with adjacent National Weather Service offices. NAM 12z model data was available and seems that latest NAM run was warmer than the previously colder 00z and 06z...which suggested heavier snows for SW Virginia and extreme NE Tennessee (in line with HPC westward graphics). HPC prefered a blend of NAM with GFS and especially European model (ecmwf)...which led ME to question those heavier NAM snow amounts. GFS model was trickling in at issuance time...but no MOS data was in from either NAM or GFS...which caused ME to be cautious and not issue a Winter Weather Advisory just yet. Did mention snow amounts in favored areas of SW Virginia and NE Tennessee and covered this event for now in a Special Weather Statement (sps). Track affects 850 mb temperatures and low level thicknesses...as well as timing...so midnight shift should get a better feel for issuing winter weather products. Did not play up snow potential beyond Sunday morning...as NAM model showed Arctic airmass with very shallow moist layer...and not much instability at all for daytime Sunday (20 j/kg or less). Northwest upslope flow and strong cold air advection should continue to squeeze out flurries. Otherwise...no MOS guidance to Ponder...so stayed close to previous min/maximum temperature grids and neighbors grids.

Tonight...Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of snow after midnight. Lows in the 20s. Northwest winds 5 to 15 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.

Saturday...A chance of snow showers in the morning...then snow showers or rain showers in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 2 inches. Highs in the mid 30s to mid 40s. Light winds. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

Saturday Night...Brisk. Snow or rain showers in the evening... Then occasional snow showers. Snow accumulation 2 to 4 inches. Total snow accumulation 2 to 5 inches. Lows 18 to 27. West winds 10 mph or less increasing to northwest 10 to 20 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

Sunday...Mostly cloudy. Scattered snow showers in the morning... Then a slight chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Brisk. Highs in the mid 20s to mid 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 40 percent.

Sunday Night...Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow showers. Brisk. Lows 9 to 19. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Wind chill readings 5 below to 5 above zero.

Monday...Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow showers. Brisk. Highs in the 20s to lower 30s.

Monday Night...Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow showers. Brisk. Lows 8 to 17.

Unless I read the 18zNAM wrong, it looks like less snow for the valley regions due to warmer temps. It also looks drier. May be a mountain event. I will say these things are a bear to predict. Just looked at the 18zGFS. It looks cooler w/ more snow in the valley IMO. It looks to have more QPF this time as well. Nice flip flop by the two models. I have no confidence at this point on what happens. On my side of the Tri-Cities, we rarely hit big on these events. East Johnson City towards the mountains should score. I'll go 1" in Kingsport, 2" in Johnson City, and 4-6" in areas like Roan Mountain. May be time to take a trip.

The event started very strong. If this had been at night, we would probably have been in business. As it is, early December snow is a bonus. Status for now: Bit of a fizzle at this point...unless something else rotates in. Talked to someone at Roan Mountain State Park. They have 1-2 inches on the ground, but it has started raining there as well. Noticed that Lee in another thread mentioned the warm nose. That pretty much explains it.

Looks like an upslope event might be getting ready to rotate through...Mountains may do pretty well.

I would expect things to start picking up for you upslope guys tonight. Not sure what exact heading the wind needs to be at, but none the less cold air should really start funneling down across the lakes. Gonna be great December sking. I would bet well see 70+ inch bases a week from now up at Beech/Sugar.

Total and complete failure.

Hate to hear that Slopey. Must be an elly thing because here it's been great here. Pick up 2 inches from the clipper and then, about 10 last night, the flow started in ernest and has not let up. Just measured 5 and half and it's still pouring. Nice low ratios with this stuff too, not typical flow snow.

And it's cold!! 17.5 with a stiff breeze.

Hate to hear that Slopey. Must be an elly thing because here it's been great. Pick up 2 inches from the clipper and then, about 10 last night, the flow started in ernest and has not let up. Just measured 5 and half and it's still pouring. Nice low ratios with this stuff too, not typical flow snow.

And it's cold!! 17.5 with a stiff breeze.

I swear, you're going to have to build me a room.Of course, 2 pure obs guys in one location could get confrontational.

Archived