• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Upcoming Snow Threat for East TN, Southwest VA, and NC Mountains...

Blue Ridge

Anyone with upslope knowledge care to venture a guess for what final snow totals on LeConte will be? Only 2 inches as of this morning... TIA

Per the high on leconte website they had three inches way before daylight this morning, they will probably end up with around 7-8 inches IMO.

On a side note had about 2 inches on the ground here on the NC/TN border in Cocke county. Still snowing

Per the high on leconte website they had three inches way before daylight this morning, they will probably end up with around 7-8 inches IMO.

On a side note had about 2 inches on the ground here on the NC/TN border in Cocke county. Still snowing

Thanks. I was going off of the NWS totals for LeConte that says it's updated at 7:30 am...

Just flurries in the Knoxville area.

Talk to a buddy of mine a little while ago that lives near Buladean in Mitchell Co. at about 4400ft and he has almost 9 inches. That's the highest I've seen so far.

Ah....Buladean, the home of best Lunchmeat and Cheese sandwiches on the earth. I assume that ol' general store is still open at the bottom of Iron Mountain?

Ah....Buladean, the home of best Lunchmeat and Cheese sandwiches on the earth. I assume that ol' general store is still open at the bottom of Iron Mountain?

Sure is. I was in there a couple of weeks ago and the same old woman was makin' sammiches for some folks.

9 inches and counting. Rates the past couple of hours have been huge. It's 15.2 degrees and the wind's really howling now. Will make for some nice drifts in the morning.

Here are some more...

post-769-0-07220800-1291595088.jpg post-769-0-80378500-1291595088.jpg

post-769-0-35441900-1291595089.jpg post-769-0-50993500-1291595482.jpg

Nice pic, Cyclonic, BTW...

Thanks for the pictures! I've got a question. Are there good sledding hills in the state park? I'm always looking for good places to take my kids. I like to cross country ski and I've been up to Carver's Gap and up Roan Mountain but never in the state park near the park HQ. What about cross country skiing in the park? Any good trails or roads that are closed in the winter?

BTW, nw flow snow lovers. SInce I've lived in Asheville, I've been trying to scout the closest area to Asheville that gets good NW flow snows and where sledding/and or cross country skiing would be possible. Heck, I'd just like a good park/national forest area to play with my kids. It also needs to have decent access via road. Does anyone have any ideas? Driving to Roan is a long trip when I can see peaks covered with snow from NW flow events from not far from my house.

Finally,FWIW, I think that NWS GSP, who always does an excellent job with forecasting snow events in WNC in my opinion, made a mistake not issuing a Winter Weather Advisory for northern Buncombe County. I checked my phone at about 7:00PM tonight after dinner in South Asheville and saw that no advisory had been issued for any of buncombe county, so I decided to drive to Weaverville for a shopping trip. A mile outside Weaverville, I-26 was slowed to a crawl, the exit roads and HWY 25 was snow-covered, and I saw someone in a parking lot that had just had a wreck. It was still coming down hard at the time too. It was defintely worth an advisory. Did the advisory guidelines change too? I saw a headline about some changes on the NWS site. Anyway, they usually include N. Buncombe county when they issue advisoriers/warnings during the usual NW flow events but this time they did not. It may just be a busted forecast - some snow totals that I'm seeing from up in Yancy county certainly seemed worthy of a warning, not an advisory.

Yeah.... I think most folks did not expect this much on the ridge lines. I know you were ready.

For us with brown ground, Pics would be Killer. Enjoy!!!

About 3.5 overnight and yesterday evening bringing my total to 13 inches. Some areas have had almost 20 inches from what I've heard. Nice event to be so early in the season.:snowman:

Archived