• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post mortem severe talk

ORH_wxman

I didn't post about it in that thread yesterday, but even though the parameters were becoming amazingly favorable over SNE...I was become increasingly concerned about the convection having a difficult time maintaining itself in southern NY and northern PA. Obviously that was no longer an issue once those storms and new storms moved into Massachusetts.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you that this was the worst other than 1953...

Not disputing anything you posted. You were pretty close to getting a tornado, correct?

I think the tornado lifted about 25 miles upstream of us

the supercell pretty rapidly weakened...2" hail in Millbury...then only pea maybe dimes in milford. We might have missed the hail core slightly.

2nd worst outbreak in Massachusetts history?

If you mean modern history, yeah it looks to be #2.

Extremely impressive, maybe the worst we will see for Massachusetts in our lifetimes! (Jerry and a few older people, aside)

That question cannot be answered fairly, can it? There were strong tornados reported and documented in Colonial times...

If you mean modern history, yeah it looks to be #2, but I'm no historian. Extremely impressive, maybe the worst we will see for Massachusetts in our lifetimes!

yeah I was more talking about modern history.

Looking at the 500mb evolution, it's really amazing how we got that sequence to happen like that....almost bulletproof solution from last Friday simply because the 850-200mb pattern was obnoxiously good. Just like in the winter, it isn't the surface results that matter when it comes to the modeling the med range, it's all about keeping a relatively consistent ua. the details will fall into place

Multiple news reports I'm watching are now starting to toss around "unconfirmed/unverified" by NWS but aerial survey of damage looks consistent with strong F-2 or F-3.

:o

Yeah that's impressive... the last official F-3 in this general geographic area would be from May 1998 in eastern NY when an F3 destroyed some Albany, NY suburbs. I remember from that one there were carried and flipped pick-up trucks and that was one of the criteria they used to rate F3.

Man my family's house on the MA/CT line in North Woodstock (just south of Sturbridge) just missed this one... in high school I worked at the Sturbridge Host Hotel right there by I-84/I-90 interchange. Know the area well and can't believe it got hit...spent many days in Sturbridge.

Can anyone tell me what streets exactly got hit in Sturbridge? I can't seem to find that information.

The length of damage with F2/F3 damage... possibly 30 miles or so long is incredible and probably a first in New England since 1953.

Damage path (West Springfield-Southbridge) looks about 40 miles or so long to me. That'd make it the longest tornado in MA history ('53 were both around 35 miles long).

Damage path (West Springfield-Southbridge) looks about 40 miles or so long to me. That'd make it the longest tornado in MA history ('53 were both around 35 miles long).

Started west of west Springfield. A large chunk of Westfield has serious damage. I wonder if it could have even started before that in the more rural locales up the mounatin.

Started west of west Springfield. A large chunk of Westfield has serious damage. I wonder if it could have even started before that in the more rural locales up the mounatin.

In that case even longer path, if it remained on the ground the entire length. I recall some question last night whether it cycled before Sturbridge and perhaps lifted? Guess we'll see.

As of right now it also stands tied as the second deadliest tornado in MA history with the EF4 in '73(?) out in Berkshire county.

The main ORH tor path was longer than 35 miles. The smaller one was less than 35. (Sutton to Mansfield)

In that case even longer path, if it remained on the ground the entire length. I recall some question last night whether it cycled before Sturbridge and perhaps lifted? Guess we'll see.

As of right now it also stands tied as the second deadliest tornado in MA history with the EF4 in '73(?) out in Berkshire county.

Yeah and it may have cycled just east of Springfield before Monson/Brimfield too. Not sure. We'll have to wait and see.

Archived