Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 1-5th Severe Weather

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that haven't seen it, here is a radar screen capture from just after the tornado went through Springfield, MA.

Debris ball, 150 knots gate to gate, classic hook echo, video evidence of a wedge (just as it was entering Monson, MA). All evidence I've seen points to at least an EF3.

And I think this officially makes 2011 the year of the debris ball. I can never remember seeing so many. My parents don't know the difference between a watch and warning but they can identify a debris ball on GR2Analyst when I stop by on the weekend.

What an incredible shot.

For those that haven't seen it, here is a radar screen capture from just after the tornado went through Springfield, MA.

Debris ball, 150 knots gate to gate, classic hook echo, video evidence of a wedge (just as it was entering Monson, MA). All evidence I've seen points to at least an EF3.

And I think this officially makes 2011 the year of the debris ball. I can never remember seeing so many. My parents don't know the difference between a watch and warning but they can identify a debris ball on GR2Analyst when I stop by on the weekend.

second that, I have never seen so many debris balls like I have over the last few months, just incredible.

textbook supercell.

AN UPPER-LEVEL RIDGE WILL MOVE SEWD ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES REGION

SATURDAY AS A COLD FRONT ADVANCES SWD INTO THE OH VALLEY. THE MODELS

FORECAST THE DEVELOPMENT OF NUMEROUS THUNDERSTORMS ALONG THE FRONT

SATURDAY AFTERNOON FROM SRN LAKE MI WWD ACROSS NRN IL INTO SRN IA.

FORECAST SOUNDINGS NEAR THE BOUNDARY SHOW STRONG INSTABILITY IN

PLACE BY MID-AFTERNOON WITH MLCAPE VALUES IN THE 2500 TO 3500 J/KG

RANGE. IN ADDITION...STRONG DIRECTIONAL SHEAR WILL LIKELY EXIST WITH

0-6 KM SHEAR VALUES IN THE 40 TO 55 KT RANGE. THIS ENVIRONMENT

SHOULD SUPPORT SEVERE THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT WITH SUPERCELLS

POSSIBLE. HOWEVER...STRONG FRONTAL FORCING...VEERED LOW-LEVEL FLOW

AND STEEP LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES SHOULD FAVOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF A

LINEAR MCS WITH AN ENHANCED WIND DAMAGE THREAT. WILL LEAVE THE 30

PERCENT PROBABILITY ACROSS THE NRN OH VALLEY AND NARROW THE THREAT

AREA TO COINCIDE WITH AN ENSEMBLED CONVECTIVE PRECIPITATION FORECAST

FROM THE NAM...GFS...NAMKF AND SREF. HAIL MAY ALSO OCCUR WITH THE

STRONGER CELLS WITHIN THE LINE ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE WRN PART OF THE

SLIGHT RISK AREA IN NRN MO AND SRN IA WHERE MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES

ARE FORECAST TO BE STEEPER.

AN UPPER-LEVEL RIDGE WILL MOVE SEWD ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES REGION

SATURDAY AS A COLD FRONT ADVANCES SWD INTO THE OH VALLEY. THE MODELS

FORECAST THE DEVELOPMENT OF NUMEROUS THUNDERSTORMS ALONG THE FRONT

SATURDAY AFTERNOON FROM SRN LAKE MI WWD ACROSS NRN IL INTO SRN IA.

FORECAST SOUNDINGS NEAR THE BOUNDARY SHOW STRONG INSTABILITY IN

PLACE BY MID-AFTERNOON WITH MLCAPE VALUES IN THE 2500 TO 3500 J/KG

RANGE. IN ADDITION...STRONG DIRECTIONAL SHEAR WILL LIKELY EXIST WITH

0-6 KM SHEAR VALUES IN THE 40 TO 55 KT RANGE. THIS ENVIRONMENT

SHOULD SUPPORT SEVERE THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT WITH SUPERCELLS

POSSIBLE. HOWEVER...STRONG FRONTAL FORCING...VEERED LOW-LEVEL FLOW

AND STEEP LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES SHOULD FAVOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF A

LINEAR MCS WITH AN ENHANCED WIND DAMAGE THREAT. WILL LEAVE THE 30

PERCENT PROBABILITY ACROSS THE NRN OH VALLEY AND NARROW THE THREAT

AREA TO COINCIDE WITH AN ENSEMBLED CONVECTIVE PRECIPITATION FORECAST

FROM THE NAM...GFS...NAMKF AND SREF. HAIL MAY ALSO OCCUR WITH THE

STRONGER CELLS WITHIN THE LINE ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE WRN PART OF THE

SLIGHT RISK AREA IN NRN MO AND SRN IA WHERE MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES

ARE FORECAST TO BE STEEPER.

I wonder if they meant strong unidirectional shear. I'm not seeing strong directional shear.

Edit: well I guess it's not terrible from the surface to about 600 mb, but the flow backs above that.

Oh im sure we'll see those amounts if not higher.

I'm liking the prospects more and more for a good round of severe weather here tomorrow or close by.

I'll be helping someone move tomorrow, so you may have to shoot me an update or two if you can. :thumbsup:

Tomorrow needs to be watched extremely closely for northern IL. I have not taken a real hard look at a ton of guidance, but I did look at the 12z SPC WRF. It has what would appear to be an intense supercell riding NW-SE from RFD to JOT along an apparent boundary, where winds to the west are from the west and winds to the east are from the east. That could spell some major trouble if we realize the major CAPE that the models are forecasting.

Tomorrow needs to be watched extremely closely for northern IL. I have not taken a real hard look at a ton of guidance, but I did look at the 12z SPC WRF. It has what would appear to be an intense supercell riding NW-SE from RFD to JOT along an apparent boundary, where winds to the west are from the west and winds to the east are from the east. That could spell some major trouble if we realize the major CAPE that the models are forecasting.

You mean that cell at the very end of the run?

I'll be helping someone move tomorrow, so you may have to shoot me an update or two if you can. :thumbsup:

That's what I gotta do Sunday lol.

That WRF image is sort of spooky. Sort of reminds me of the Plainfield F5 supercell that formed near Rockford. I'm sure nothing like that will happen, but it's the first thing that popped into my mind when I first saw the image.

Agree with all you guys that northern Illinois points east/east-southeast look primed for a widespread severe event tomorrow.

It looks like the 0z NAM holds off an convection till after 18z allowing for alot of instability to building up (around 3000 j/kg) in a narrow corridor from around DSM to south of DBQ to to MKX to IKK then back west along and north of I-80. After that it lights up a cluster of thunderstorms from IOW to DBQ into northwest IL by 21z as instability continues to build northern IL. The storm complex then heads ESE across northern IL by 0z.

It looks like the 0z NAM holds off an convection till after 18z allowing for alot of instability to building up (around 3000 j/kg) in a narrow corridor from around DSM to south of DBQ to to MKX to IKK then back west along and north of I-80. After that it lights up a cluster of thunderstorms from IOW to DBQ into northwest IL by 21z as instability continues to build northern IL. The storm complex then heads ESE across northern IL by 0z.

Might we see something as far north as Milwaukee or Madison?

Archived