• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 1-5th Severe Weather

Reports of significant wind damage continue to come in. I suspect LOT will be out surveying some of those areas tomorrow.

This area absolutely got blasted. And I wasn't here haha. I went with a friend to Goose Lake Prairie State Park in Morris. We were driving back along I-80 when we noticed it getting dark. We hit a construction zone west of Joliet and got off at Larkin Ave. (IL-7). We pulled north into Crest Hill to evaluate the situation. As we looked at radar and I talked to a met major friend of mine, we witnessed a wall cloud with a brief funnel pass to the north of us. We then went east to IL-53 when another cell blew up over us and started dropping pea-marble sized hail. We blasted south to get out of it as I didn't exactly know how big the hail was going to get and we didn't have the best radar source. Then I came home to this mess here. So many huge limbs/trees down. A neighbor behind us had their dining room window taken out by a trampoline. Fence damage, siding damage (there was siding, plywood, and large branches sitting in the middle of US 30 as we drove back), you name it.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first storm we were on today as they initially began and pulsed (before they lined out) must have produced a microburst or some pretty hefty straight line winds in Hartford City (Blackford County) as there were trees down everywhere, some minor roof damage, and windows in the downtown business district that had been blown out.

The line produced a rapidly rotating wall cloud with a nice funnel just West of Muncie - great pics & video to come.

Also fatality was reported in Madison County Indiana at mounds state park where a tree fell on an occupied vehicle - 3 other injuries there as well. Significant tree & power line damage in Elwood with multiple surrounding fire departments being called in to assist with calls.

I am located in Demotte IN. Crazy strong winds lasted a very long time it was like a hurricane. Damage looks to be from straight line winds as all the trees are laying the same direction. Easily the most wind damage over a very large area I have ever seen. Many Many trees down. Very few people have power.

I don't know where in Demotte but I heard there was an 84 mph gust there.

besides the cap...the 0z NAM makes southeast/eastern IA quite interesting tomorrow....and its June 5th cough cough

great directional shear(backed sfc winds to NW flow at H5) good moisture and juice and pretty good 0-3km SRH. something to watch.

There is a 40-50kt H5 wave riding through that area later tomorrow afternoon and evening. NAM does try to pop something in east Iowa around 03z as well.

This area absolutely got blasted. And I wasn't here haha. I went with a friend to Goose Lake Prairie State Park in Morris. We were driving back along I-80 when we noticed it getting dark. We hit a construction zone west of Joliet and got off at Larkin Ave. (IL-7). We pulled north into Crest Hill to evaluate the situation. As we looked at radar and I talked to a met major friend of mine, we witnessed a wall cloud with a brief funnel pass to the north of us. We then went east to IL-53 when another cell blew up over us and started dropping pea-marble sized hail. We blasted south to get out of it as I didn't exactly know how big the hail was going to get and we didn't have the best radar source. Then I came home to this mess here. So many huge limbs/trees down. A neighbor behind us had their dining room window taken out by a trampoline. Fence damage, siding damage (there was siding, plywood, and large branches sitting in the middle of US 30 as we drove back), you name it.

Not surprising. I reviewed LOT radar and there was an enhanced area of velocity in that corridor.

0450 PM TSTM WND DMG HEBRON 41.32N 87.20W

06/04/2011 PORTER IN EMERGENCY MNGR

HIGHWAY 2 FROM LAKE INTO PORTER COUNTY WAS IMPASSABLE DUE

TO MANY DOWNED TREES AND SNAPPED POWER POLES. 50-60 TREES

WERE DAMAGED OR DOWN IN HEBRON. TREES AND STRUCTURES WERE

DAMAGED ALONG 900S. DAMAGE CONTINUED TOWARD BOONE GROVE.

SOME DAMAGE WAS POSSIBLY TORNADIC.

0450 PM TSTM WND DMG HEBRON 41.32N 87.20W

06/04/2011 PORTER IN EMERGENCY MNGR

HIGHWAY 2 FROM LAKE INTO PORTER COUNTY WAS IMPASSABLE DUE

TO MANY DOWNED TREES AND SNAPPED POWER POLES. 50-60 TREES

WERE DAMAGED OR DOWN IN HEBRON. TREES AND STRUCTURES WERE

DAMAGED ALONG 900S. DAMAGE CONTINUED TOWARD BOONE GROVE.

SOME DAMAGE WAS POSSIBLY TORNADIC.

Not a surprise looking at the radar images from around that time in NWIN.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON TX

438 PM CDT SUN JUN 5 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LEAGUE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHWESTERN AUSTIN COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST TEXAS...

WASHINGTON COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST TEXAS...

* UNTIL 500 PM CDT

* AT 433 PM CDT...WASHINGTON COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE REPORTED A

TORNADO IN CHAPPEL HILL. THE SHERIFFS OFFICE REPORTED ROOF DAMAGE

AND DAMAGE TO A TV TOWER. THE STORM WAS MOVING SOUTHWEST AT 15

MPH.

* LOCATIONS IN THE TORNADO WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

SHELBY...INDUSTRY...CAT SPRING AND BELLVILLE.

I went out to southern White county today after hearing reports of numerous power poles down from yesterday's storms. I found a mile long swath of what had to be at least 2 dozen poles pushed over or snapped off...one after the other. The main area of damage is along CR 700S just west of SR 43 with damage lessening to the east of 43, although I did encounter one severely leaning pole there which forced the road to be closed.

All of the poles were laying in a north-south direction so I believe this was due to straight line winds. There was one home which had a tree uprooted in the backyard and another in the front with large branches snapped off, but I didn't get pics since there were people outside and that's always a little awkward. As you can tell from the pics below, the area is pretty rural so it was difficult to find much else in the way of damage.

I estimate winds between 90-110 mph. The apparent lack of structural damage to that house makes me apprehensive about going higher. Would be nice if Tony or someone else could chime in on that.

post-14-0-40319300-1307323209.jpg

post-14-0-03019400-1307323269.jpg

post-14-0-54026600-1307323331.jpg

post-14-0-31630700-1307323537.jpg

post-14-0-62186000-1307323755.jpg

I went out to southern White county today after hearing reports of numerous power poles down from yesterday's storms. I found a mile long swath of what had to be at least 2 dozen poles pushed over or snapped off...one after the other. The main area of damage is along CR 700S just west of SR 43 with damage lessening to the east of 43, although I did encounter one severely leaning pole there which forced the road to be closed.

All of the poles were laying in a north-south direction so I believe this was due to straight line winds. There was one home which had a tree uprooted in the backyard and another in the front with large branches snapped off, but I didn't get pics since there were people outside and that's always a little awkward. As you can tell from the pics below, the area is pretty rural so it was difficult to find much else in the way of damage.

I estimate winds between 90-110 mph. The apparent lack of structural damage to that house makes me apprehensive about going higher. Would be nice if Tony or someone else could chime in on that.

It depends (and I can't really tell from your pictures) if all the poles were similarly damaged, or if it looked like a few were more severely damaged (snapped nearer the base) and perhaps the tension brought down the other poles. If the latter is the case and the house wasn't in the path of the more severely damaged poles, I probably would go ahead personally and estimate that at 115-120 MPH...

It depends (and I can't really tell from your pictures) if all the poles were similarly damaged, or if it looked like a few were more severely damaged (snapped nearer the base) and perhaps the tension brought down the other poles. If the latter is the case and the house wasn't in the path of the more severely damaged poles, I probably would go ahead personally and estimate that at 115-120 MPH...

A majority of them were snapped and some were very close to the ground. The house is maybe a quarter mile west of where the most severe pole damage occurred. There's a crop fertilizer building at the intersection of SR 43/700S which didn't appear to have any damage, and that is another reason why I was leaning lower. It was impressive though...I've never seen so many poles snapped like that.

Nice pictures, I would concur this is around 110mph maybe a touch over, really impressive to see power poles snapped like that and then thrown into the field too.

Yep that's the one.

The NSSL WRF I sometimes post and reference is here.

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/wrf/

As far as I can figure, the 4 km WRF only goes to 36 hours, and it is run at 00z, meaning that it only goes to 12z the day after you are looking at it. That isn't a very good way to find out what happens in the daytime of the day after you are looking at it. I guess I am being a bit nitpicky.

Microbursts confirmed northwest of here, no tornadoes confirmed as of yet.

WEATHER SUMMARY FOR ALL OF SOUTHERN ONTARIO AND THE NATIONAL
CAPITAL REGION ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA AT 8:36 PM EDT MONDAY 6
JUNE 2011.

-------------------------------------------------------------
==WEATHER EVENT DISCUSSION==

AN ENVIRONMENT CANADA STORM DAMAGE SURVEY TEAM HAS COMPLETED AN
INVESTIGATION OF THE DAMAGE FROM A SERIES OF STORMS WHICH AFFECTED
AREAS TO THE EAST OF LAKE HURON ON THE MORNING OF SATURDAY JUNE 4.
THE STORMS WERE PARTICULARLY SEVERE AROUND MID MORNING AS THEY
TRACKED SOUTHEAST FROM PORT ELGIN. THE SURVEY TEAM FOUND ISOLATED
DOWNED TREES IN A BROAD SWATH ROUGHLY 35 KM LONG AND LOCALLY 5 KM
WIDE FROM NORTH BRUCE (SOUTH OF PORT ELGIN) TO NEAR SCONE (JUST
SOUTHEAST OF CHESLEY). LOCALES AROUND THE TOWN OF CHESLEY (ABOUT 30
KM SOUTHEAST OF PORT ELGIN) SUSTAINED THE MOST DAMAGE WHERE A FEW
BARNS (JUST NORTH OF CHESLEY) WERE SEVERELY DAMAGED. THE DAMAGE
CONSISTED OF PARTIAL ROOFS LIFTED OFF AND SOME COLLAPSED WALLS. THE
WORST DAMAGE WAS A BARN A FEW KILOMETRES NORTH OF CHESLEY WHERE ONE
WALL WAS LEFT STANDING WHILE MOST OF THE STRUCTURE WAS BLOWN DOWN
WITH DEBRIS SCATTERED TO THE SOUTH ACROSS THE PROPERTY AND BEYOND.

ALL THE DAMAGE (TREES, BARN AND DEBRIS) WAS BLOWN TO THE SOUTH OR
SOUTHEAST INDICATIVE OF STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS FROM A DOWNBURST. A
DOWNBURST IS OFTEN ASSOCIATED WITH SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WHEN COOL AIR
DESCENDS FROM HIGH UP IN THE STORM TO THE GROUND AND SPREADS OUT
CAUSING DAMAGING WIND GUSTS. DAMAGE FROM THE BARNS INDICATE THE
WINDS BRIEFLY REACHED THE LOWER END OF AN F1 RATING ON THE FUJITA
DAMAGE SCALE, BETWEEN 118 KM/H AND 180 KM/H.

THERE MAY BE A FEW FOLLOW-UP PHONE CALLS TO FINALIZE THE CONLUSIONS
OF THIS INVESTIGATION.

THIS WEATHER SUMMARY CONTAINS PRELIMINARY INFORMATION AND MAY NOT
CONSTITUTE AN OFFICIAL OR FINAL REPORT.

END/OSPC

Day 4 and a good chunk of people are still without power. I still cannot comprehend the strength of the storm. I finally took a detailed look at all the damage. It was nearly impossible earlier because some roads are still closed. Most neighborhoods around here are wooded, so a few neighborhoods had significant tree loss. Amazingly, it seems like structure damage was kept at a minimum. A few grain bins are destroyed, but most of the damage to houses are missing shingles.

But, with all the damage, the community really stepped up. Instead of swallowing $10,000-$20,000 bills for tree removal, most people got help from neighbors, etc.

This kind of storm is probably a once in a lifetime event. Although the winds were not stronger than EF1 (90-110mph), they came from straight line wind damage, which is pretty rare outside of tornadoes/hurricanes.

Definitely one I won't forget.

Archived