Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
April 25-28 rolling warmth/severe weather/convection thread

earthlight

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love comments like these, maybe they should fire the guys at SPC with advanced degrees and hire you and TheTrials

absolutely not, they do the best job anyone can do and i know a fraction of what they know. But i didnt understand the watch for eastern PA and NJ, and its busting but who cares, there are towns being destroyed by tornadoes down south, this is the least of my concern

absolutely not, they do the best job anyone can do and i know a fraction of what they know. But i didnt understand the watch for eastern PA and NJ, and its busting but who cares, there are towns being destroyed by tornadoes down south, this is the least of my concern

I know got a friend down in bama right now getting it bad. Power is out, lightning is bad and tornado sirens are going off.

Not to knock the SPC, but just from my obervations, the best T-storms I've experienced in CNJ occurred with no watch in place. Usually our best events are total surprises.

yeah, buddies in the Ohio Valley say this alot..They get the most beast storms when there is no watch/risk. It's not the spc, its just the craziness of meteorology.

This..

Yeah, after seeing all the destruction that goes on with severe weather, in no way, shape or form do I want that here. Our severe weather season starts in June and continues through the first part of Fall, and I'd rather see scorching heat like last summer instead.

Last year's tornado did a lot of damage (for NYC standards) around here. I don't need or want that again. Though I just absolutely love huge boomers and vivid lightning. And torrential rainfall lol. I can do without the wind though. I'd take a summer like 2004, thanks! :)

Winds have been shifting around quite a bit. Temps were in the 70s with a southerly wind, then they turned easterly and temps dropped to 63, now its back up to 70 and the breeze is gone.

As far as watches/warnings, one of my favorite storms was out in Morris County at the end of the April 2002 heatwave. As I recall there was only a 20-30% chance of storms that day but a cell popped up in Hunterdon county and another in Sussex and basically the 2 merged into one severe cell moving along route 10. I never saw the sky so black. It didn't last that long but there was a swath of wind damage through to the Montclair area before they moved into NYC. By that point they lost there severity but still gave some heavy rain and thunder and lightning. With temps in the mid 90s some 30 degrees above normal and a potent cold front it made sense that we'd get a decent amount of activity but no watches or anything were up for the area.

It's interesting how TEB and NYC are maintaining SE winds while Newark and points south are staying due south. THere was nearly a 10 degree temp drop on my car therm from just south of EWR tothe Secaucus station area on the turnpike. Cool little sea breeze feature tonight.

DAY 1 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1259 AM CDT THU APR 28 2011

VALID 281200Z - 291200Z

..THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ALONG THE ATLANTIC SEABOARD

..SYNOPSIS

AS A PARENT UPPER LOW ELONGATES OVER THE MIDWEST-CNTRL GREAT LAKES

TODAY...STRONG IMPULSE CURRENTLY OVER THE TN VLY WILL EJECT NE TO

NEW ENGLAND. A COLD FRONT WILL SURGE EWD ACROSS THE NERN STATES AS

A DEEP SFC CYCLONE TRAVELS FROM IND TO QUEBEC. TRAILING FRONT WILL

BE SLOWER TO MOVE ACROSS THE MID-SRN ATLANTIC COASTAL AREAS.

..ATLANTIC SEABOARD

STRONG SLY LOW-LEVEL FLOW WILL MAINTAIN A VERY MOIST AIR MASS

ALONG/AHEAD OF AN APPROACHING BAND OF STRONG-SEVERE TSTMS TODAY.

ALTHOUGH MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES WILL DECREASE WITH NRN

EXTENT...MLCAPES WILL STILL LIKELY REACH 1000 J/KG GIVEN INFLUX OF

RICH LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE. FARTHER S...STEEPER LAPSE RATES AND

EXPECTED WARMER TEMPERATURES WILL RESULT IN A COMPARATIVELY MORE

UNSTABLE AIR MASS FROM PARTS OF SERN PA SWD INTO NRN FL.

DEEP-LAYER FLOW BEGINS TO BECOME MORE ALIGNED WITH TIME AS THE

MID-LEVEL WAVE EJECTS ENE AND WITH INCREASING ASCENT...ACTIVITY FROM

THE NRN MID-ATLANTIC NWD INTO NY SHOULD BECOME MORE QUASI-LINEAR

WITH EMBEDDED ROTATING STRUCTURES. DMGG WINDS AND ISOLATED

TORNADOES WILL BE POSSIBLE THERE. ACTIVITY WILL WEAKEN WITH EWD

EXTENT AS IT ENCOUNTERS THE MARINE LAYER FLOWING OFF THE NEW ENGLAND

COASTAL ATLANTIC.

FARTHER S...CORE OF THE STRONGEST LOW-LEVEL JET IS EXPECTED TO

TRANSLATE NWD EARLY IN THE DAY...BUT FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUGGEST THAT

AMPLE DEEP/LOW-LEVEL SHEAR WILL LINGER THROUGH EARLY AFTERNOON FROM

CNTRL MID-ATLANTIC STATES SWD INTO THE CAROLINAS. HERE...DISCRETE

SUPERCELLS WITH A FEW TORNADOES AND DMGG WINDS WILL EXIST. THESE

THREATS WILL MOVE BEYOND THE COAST BY MID-LATE AFTERNOON.

TAIL-END OF THE COLD FRONT WILL BECOME INCREASINGLY REMOVED FROM

STRONGER DEEP LAYER SHEAR WITH TIME ACROSS THE SERN ATLANTIC

SEABOARD. BUT...REMNANT PRE-FRONTAL OUTFLOW

BOUNDARY MAY ENHANCE LOW-LEVEL CONVERGENCE ALONG THE ATLANTIC COAST

SEA BREEZE...IN THE PRESENCE OF LARGE CAPE DURING THE PEAK AFTERNOON

HEATING. DMGG WINDS/HAIL WILL BE THE PRIMARY SVR RISKS.

Looks like most of what the area sees today will be elevated convection and thus won't get to severe. Even western areas may not see enough surface destabalization to get severe weather. It looks like it is all out of here before 18z. If we had sunshine and the front came in later, would have been a different story.

Archived