• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April 25-28 rolling warmth/severe weather/convection thread

earthlight

The best idea is likely to start with today's discussion..and in that case we have a later in the day/warm front type convective setup. The highest probabilities for convection on most short range guidance are after 2100z as the front lifts north and a weak shortwave traverses northeast through the great lakes. The convection is likely to be elevated above the boundary layer--the SREF has an area of 1000+j/kg of MUCAPE over the entire area at 06z Tuesday. The severe threat with this convection seems rather low, but is definitely non-zero..and is highest over Eastern PA and far Western NJ, away from the easterly marine flow, where convection may become slightly more boundary layer rooted.

Regarding temperatures and conditions throughout the day...the stationary front (eventually to become a warm front backing north again later today) is harboring low clouds and west to east training moisture...but will lift north over the next few hours. Watching this occur should be interesting as the temperature gradient develops.

vis0.gif

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SPC Day 3 outlook...

ALONG WITH FAIRLY SUBSTANTIAL SEVERE POTENTIAL EXTENDING FARTHER

NNEWD INTO PA/NY -- INCLUDING THREATS FOR DAMAGING WINDS AND

ISOLATED TORNADOES...SEVERE STORMS WILL LIKELY ALSO EXTEND E OF THE

APPALACHIANS INTO THE ATLANTIC COAST STATES. ALONG WITH THE

LIKELIHOOD FOR AFTERNOON SEVERE CONVECTION...SEVERE CONVECTION MAY

CONTINUE INTO THE OVERNIGHT HOURS AS THE SURFACE FRONT CRESTS THE

APPALACHIANS.

day3prob_0730.gif

Really don't see any triggers today. Once again we have a far less than ideal setup for anything severe and even strong. MUCAPE is good but that alone can't cut it.

Agreed...my above post delineates Eastern PA and Western NJ as the areas most likely to experience thunderstorms...they could be strong to severe. I think we will get convection into NE NJ..but it's going to be hard, as I said above, to get it to the city and east with the onshore flow that develops this afternoon.

I think SPC's slight risk zone clearly agrees with the idea of this being a non-event for the eastern burbs and into Long Island. It's also a day 3 outlook, plenty of time to fine tune the details.

The main triggers should be west of us into PA where convection will initiate and as the storms move eastward they should be able to sustain themselves thanks to decent instabilty over NJ until they reach the stable marine layer.

You don't even know when you're being made fun of. It's uncomfortable for all involved. :lol:

I do, I just choose to ignore it, its more fun for me to make a serious reply when someone makes a sarcastic remark.

Maybe we can get a major hurricane to make landfall in NYC this year and you guys can see first hand what flooding really is.

Archived