Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Late season New England snow events

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for fun I will put in snowfall amounts for this area (as per the Gardner News, April 7, 2011)

May 9 1977 12"

April 1 1997 25"

April 28 1987 22"

April 6 1982 5.5"

March 29 1984 not sure

May 18 2002 5"

May 9 2010 did not snow here, basically in NNE

Other events May 7, 1967 2"

April 8, 1931 7"

April 12, 1933 23"

April 19, 1936 light accum

May 11, 1945 light accum

May 12, 1938 light accum

May 18, 1902 6"

June 24, 1944 hailstorm deep enough to shovel

1816 snow in June (not sure of date, ammounts)

June 11, 1839 snow fell all day in Hubbardston, did not accum.

May 2, 1841 snow lingered late and people had to attend town meeting by sleigh. 8 foot drifts in woods until last Weds of May that year

just random stuff

April 28, 2010

http://www.erh.noaa....ports/index.php

.CALEDONIA COUNTY... WALDEN 20.0 300 PM 4/28 SPOTTER WATERFORD 18.0 1033 AM 4/28 SPOTTER HARDWICK 0.1 ENE 16.0 700 AM 4/28 COCORAHS STANNARD 14.3 1059 AM 4/28 SPOTTER WALDEN 13.6 700 AM 4/28 COOP WATERFORD 13.0 1130 AM 4/28 PUBLIC LYNDONVILLE 11.5 930 AM 4/28 SPOTTER SUTTON 11.1 705 AM 4/28 COOP SHEFFIELD 2.8 NNW 11.0 700 AM 4/28 COCORAHS SAINT JOHNSBURY 10.2 400 PM 4/28 COOP PEACHAM 10.0 635 AM 4/28 SPOTTER LYNDONVILLE 1.1 W 8.5 700 AM 4/28 COCORAHS GROTON 4.4 WSW 4.5 700 AM 4/28 COCORAHS...CHITTENDEN COUNTY... NASHVILLE 1 E 23.5 200 PM 4/28 NWS EMPLOYEE NORTH UNDERHILL 23.5 317 PM 4/28 NWS EMPLOYEE JERICHO 17.0 805 AM 4/28 SPOTTER HUNTINGTON 1.1 E 14.8 700 AM 4/28 COCORAHS WESTFORD 14.7 626 AM 4/28 NWS EMPLOYEE HANKSVILLE 10.3 700 AM 4/28 COOP WILLISTON VILLAGE 10.0 726 AM 4/28 SPOTTER WILLISTON 8.5 821 AM 4/28 NWS EMPLOYEE ESSEX JUNCTION 1 N 7.5 800 PM 4/28 COOP ESSEX CENTER 7.0 940 AM 4/28 NWS EMPLOYEE ESSEX CENTER 6.8 720 AM 4/28 NWS EMPLOYEE SOUTH BURLINGTON 5.5 150 PM 4/28 NWS OFFICE CHARLOTTE 2.9 NNE 2.7 700 AM 4/28 COCORAHS...ESSEX COUNTY... ISLAND POND 4.0 850 AM 4/28 COOP...FRANKLIN COUNTY... SHELDON SPRINGS 16.5 730 AM 4/28 AMATEUR RADIO RICHFORD 14.5 730 AM 4/28 SPOTTER SAINT ALBANS 13.0 541 AM 4/28 NWS EMPLOYEE ENOSBURG FALLS 2 12.0 700 AM 4/28 COOP HIGHGATE 10.0 650 AM 4/28 SPOTTER SWANTON 6.1 700 AM 4/28 SPOTTER...GRAND ISLE COUNTY... ISLE LA MOTTE 3.5 625 PM 4/28 SPOTTER SOUTH HERO 2.0 624 PM 4/28 SPOTTER...LAMOILLE COUNTY... JEFFERSONVILLE 24.3 148 PM 4/28 SPOTTER EDEN 2 S 21.0 1240 PM 4/28 COOP MOUNT MANSFIELD 21.0 400 PM 4/28 COOP PLEASANT VALLEY 20.0 1135 AM 4/28 SPOTTER JEFFERSONVILLE 19.0 832 AM 4/28 COOP STOWE 0.2 SW 7.4 700 AM 4/28 COCORAHS STOWE 6.5 830 AM 4/28 SPOTTER

really? it's gone 20 minutes after it stops, and all you have to show for it is a day stolen from you??

weird.

Really, not here, of course there was still a little snow left and the snow hasn't stopped yet. Why is the day stolen? I've been working ouside and it's awesome. I guess some people stay inside curled up in the fetal position if it's not sunny and 70. Weird.

Really, not here, of course there was still a little snow left and the snow hasn't stopped yet. Why is the day stolen? I've been working ouside and it's awesome. I guess some people stay inside curled up in the fetal position if it's not sunny and 70. Weird.

Eh, too each is own... but I don't even think it is really all that subjective. 99.9999999999999991 percent of all people in world (which leaves pretty much only you - haha) thinks that a Saturday in the mid 30s in the end of April with wet snow and rain ruining any ability to enjoy the outdoors has any value. And trying to espouse 1/4 to one inch of snow as argumentative is more like irrationalization.

By the way, the "torch" this week is in jeopardy until later Wednesday it would appear. The models keep pinning the warm boundary S. 12z NAM has the ENE drizzlies all the way S of NYC beginning tomorrow evening and until further notice.

Not really that late or extraordinary. I've seen snow in May quite a few times and once on June 1st.

Keep in mind, there is an elevation disparity between you and that person. For 150' elevations, it is quite late - but I also don't think those lower els had much more than noodles. I had that for 3 or 4 hours but just light rain now ...I believe my el is 190' here in Ayer. Pretty much a valley. My buddy in FIT lives around 900' N of rt 2 and had parachutes this morning.

Eh, too each is own... but I don't even think it is really all that subjective. 99.9999999999999991 percent of all people in world (which leaves pretty much only you - haha) thinks that Saturday in the mid 30s in the end of April with wet snow and rain ruining any ability to enjoy the outdoors has any value. And trying to espouse 1/4 to one inch of snow as argumentative is more like irrationalization.

By the way, the "torch" this week is in jeopardy until later Wednesday it would appear. The models keep pinning the warm boundary S. 12z NAM has the ENE drizzlies all the way S of NYC beginning tomorrow evening and until further notice.

Eh, 99% of people see no value of extreme cold, snow storms, extreme heat, etc. Most people would prefer it be mild and sunny most of the time. It has meteorological value to see snow in late April. I sure as hell would have rather had an inch of snow then the RA+ at 40F I'm seeing right now.

In regards to the second part, thumbsupsmileyanim.gif, 60s is fine, but save the torch for June/July. I guess I'm part of that .0000000000009%.

Eh, too each is own... but I don't even think it is really all that subjective. 99.9999999999999991 percent of all people in world (which leaves pretty much only you - haha) thinks that Saturday in the mid 30s in the end of April with wet snow and rain ruining any ability to enjoy the outdoors has any value. And trying to espouse 1/4 to one inch of snow as argumentative is more like irrationalization.

I actually smiled this morning when I awoke to flakes which quickly became rain, but hey it's been an awesome spring for one town in SWCT.

Eh, too each is own... but I don't even think it is really all that subjective. 99.9999999999999991 percent of all people in world (which leaves pretty much only you - haha) thinks that a Saturday in the mid 30s in the end of April with wet snow and rain ruining any ability to enjoy the outdoors has any value. And trying to espouse 1/4 to one inch of snow as argumentative is more like irrationalization.

Well I'll take my 1/2"+ of snow today over 35F and rain. It's been quite a snowy day here for late April so as a weather lover it's an interesting event. I wouldn't have minded 70F+ and sun either though.

As for the NAM, it brings the boundary to CNE by Tue afternoon like the EC, but it definitely looks dreary for points N and E of ORH. Wed through Fri look brilliant though.

No, No, There are many that are similarly afflicted. If you live in New England you need to be adaptive. As you know, we have a limited period of time with mild, benign weather. If it were sunny and warm today I'd play golf. Since it's not I'm burning the last of the trees that came down this Winter. Better now than when red flag weather is here. I'll go fishing for an hour or two this afternoon even if it's a driving 33 degree rain. I can understand that after a long Winter those that have been couped up month after month would be getting stir crazy. Fortunately, for me I love inclement weather and like being out in it. It's great to be battered by the elements and then, at the end of a long day, retreat into a cozy warm home. I think the torch calls will fall flat this week. After an anomolous Spring last year I think people forget that April and May can be nasty months with only the occasional tease of warmth and sun. I expect this go 'round we'll have more misery than warm and sunny naked frolicking.

Eh, 99% of people see no value of extreme cold, snow storms, extreme heat, etc. Most people would prefer it be mild and sunny most of the time. It has meteorological value to see snow in late April. I sure as hell would have rather had an inch of snow then the RA+ at 40F I'm seeing right now.

In regards to the second part, thumbsupsmileyanim.gif, 60s is fine, but save the torch for June/July. I guess I'm part of that .0000000000009%.

So what? Whether people appreciate the extremes or not bares no relevance to the fact that today is objectively a very crappy weather day.

Ha ha - I'm only f ck n with him, though. It's all good.

Honestly, it was kind of interesting to be running errands this morning with those big noodles crackling across the windshield. I like looking up when it's on the edge of the mix zone because you can barely make out the snow field aloft...Melt line has to be around 700' for that.

Well I'll take my 1/2"+ of snow today over 35F and rain. It's been quite a snowy day here for late April so as a weather lover it's an interesting event. I wouldn't have minded 70F+ and sun either though.

As for the NAM, it brings the boundary to CNE by Tue afternoon like the EC, but it definitely looks dreary for points N and E of ORH. Wed through Fri look brilliant though.

Yeah I noticed on Intellicast's p-type channel that CNE got pretty pelted this morning. Could be 70 in pockets at lower els tomorrow - interesting.

So what? Whether people appreciate the extremes or not bares no relevance to the fact that today is objectively a very crappy weather day.

Honestly, it was kind of interesting to be running errands this morning with those big noodles crackling across the windshield. I like looking up when it's on the edge of the mix zone because you can barely make out the snow field aloft...Melt line has to be around 700' for that.

I don't think we mixed at all here, but I was sleeping until almost 10am so I don't know for sure. smile.gif

No, No, There are many that are similarly afflicted. If you live in New England you need to be adaptive. As you know, we have a limited period of time with mild, benign weather. If it were sunny and warm today I'd play golf. Since it's not I'm burning the last of the trees that came down this Winter. Better now than when red flag weather is here. I'll go fishing for an hour or two this afternoon even if it's a driving 33 degree rain. I can understand that after a long Winter those that have been couped up month after month would be getting stir crazy. Fortunately, for me I love inclement weather and like being out in it. It's great to be battered by the elements and then, at the end of a long day, retreat into a cozy warm home. I think the torch calls will fall flat this week. After an anomolous Spring last year I think people forget that April and May can be nasty months with only the occasional tease of warmth and sun. I expect this go 'round we'll have more misery than warm and sunny naked frolicking.

It is highly subjected what is and is not considered a torch. There's no definition for that in Meteorology. Frankly I rarely use the term in my own writings because I think it's silly without some definition that is empirically derived.

That said, the original outlooks were a kind of Monday - Wed... Now it appears that the warm boundary will labor through until later Wed at the earliest, and then we'll be pretty toasty from then through at least next Saturday here in SNE.

Trust me, the boundary will get through though eventually and we'll be unilaterally above normal, perhaps substantially so. I do, however, see this as a dirty warm sector deal, ranging from morning strata streets giving way the season's first afternoon 60dps type airmass once in.

I have noticed that before just thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me but i do like doing that too.

Archived