• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Late season New England snow events

HoarfrostHubb

I have noticed that before just thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me but i do like doing that too.

The afternoon of December 11, 1992, up at the University of Mass at Lowell, that did that for hours. There were big drops of rain at 39F blowing at 45 degrees, but looking up you could see sheets undulating overhead. Worcester was already parachuting and seeing the column collapse. I once wrote a long homage to that fantastic event, way prior to American. It was Eastern then, and before they swapped out the database and lost all the original works ...circa 2006. Can't believe it has been that long.

That was the night of one of, if not the, most fantastic short duration sensible weather changes I have ever experienced. A flash of lighting and a tremendous roar of thunder preceded heavy rain transition to snow, which took about 30 seconds or less. No exaggeration. Some 2 or 3 miles in heavy rain was 1/4 mile visibility in snow within a couple of breaths. It swept across the campus like a actual wall. The temp went from from 37 at 8pm, to about 29F by 9, with 3" falling in the first hour alone. There was 15-18" by dawn, temperatures in the upper teens, blowing snow.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really, not here, of course there was still a little snow left and the snow hasn't stopped yet. Why is the day stolen? I've been working ouside and it's awesome. I guess some people stay inside curled up in the fetal position if it's not sunny and 70. Weird.

I rode through GC a week ago and again Thursday. Bare ground. Next.

I rode through GC a week ago and again Thursday. Bare ground. Next.

Well, either you weren't in GC or weren't looking very hard as there were patches of snow lingering before today's snow. Cold Miser posted some pics last week when he visited. Don't be so bitter you didn't get snow today.lol

Well, either you weren't in GC or weren't looking very hard as there were patches of snow lingering before today's snow. Cold Miser posted some pics last week when he visited. Don't be so bitter you didn't get snow today.lol

My neighbor's huge snowpile he made on his front lawn is gone. Don't know how long it survived, but it was 5 feet tall after all of my own snow had melted.

Only mangy looking parking lot piles in shaded areas are left here, and those are rare

"She was a bitter woman...." In any case, I was impressed with the beauty of the area again. And each sprawling mountain spread I saw from afar made me wonder....Mike or Pete?

Really, not here, of course there was still a little snow left and the snow hasn't stopped yet. Why is the day stolen? I've been working ouside and it's awesome. I guess some people stay inside curled up in the fetal position if it's not sunny and 70. Weird.

Tilled my first garden in Ft. Kent on 5/7/76 while 1.5" snow fell. Somewhere we have a snapshot showng the white-covered first-dug part, with color grading to brown at the final corner.

The 2002 May snows followed some hot wx. I think IZG had 2" snow a week after hitting 90+. For super-late, my first supervisor in forestry woke up to 3" snow on the US border near St.-Pamphile, PQ on 6/17/64. In 1980 1-2" fell in a couple hr on 6/9 during the middle of the day, in the woods west of Allagash, elev. 1,000-1,500'.

"She was a bitter woman...." In any case, I was impressed with the beauty of the area again. And each sprawling mountain spread I saw from afar made me wonder....Mike or Pete?

LOL. It is a beautiful area, the trick is finding a way to have an income in a remote spot. Remote is a relative term, this area is downright suburban compared to Alaska. Next time you are out this way let me know, I'll buy you a drink.

LOL. It is a beautiful area, the trick is finding a way to have an income in a remote spot. Remote is a relative term, this area is downright suburban compared to Alaska. Next time you are out this way let me know, I'll buy you a drink.

Believe it or not, I was on Amtrak. How far is your house from the tracks? Grueling trip though all the way to Chicago from Boston.

Believe it or not, I was on Amtrak. How far is your house from the tracks? Grueling trip though all the way to Chicago from Boston.

Geez, I don't know. There are no tracks anywhere near here that I know of. I thought the Amtrack routes were far south of here through CT. Why the train? You usually fly don't you?

Edit: Actually there are some tracks that go through Hinsdale, MA but I've only seen freight trains never a passenger train.

Geez, I don't know. There are no tracks anywhere near here that I know of. I thought the Amtrack routes were far south of here through CT. Why the train? You usually fly don't you?

Edit: Actually there are some tracks that go through Hinsdale, MA but I've only seen freight trains never a passenger train.

I think Amtrack runs pretty far south of you, but I could be mistaken

Those are the tracks. Right through Chesterfield per my phone map. Decided to protest the airlines ridiculous fares so we trained it. Relaxed in many ways but not sure I'd do it again without buying the sleeper which is very expensive so probably not worth it. All kinds of characters on the train. I mean if you're going from Elkhart, IN to Pittsfield,MA, train's the way to go I suppose.

Here's a broad brush of the route...

Those are the tracks. Right through Chesterfield per my phone map. Decided to protest the airlines ridiculous fares so we trained it. Relaxed in many ways but not sure I'd do it again without buying the sleeper which is very expensive so probably not worth it. All kinds of characters on the train. I mean if you're going from Elkhart, IN to Pittsfield,MA, train's the way to go I suppose.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/BlobServer?blobcol=urldata&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobkey=id&blobwhere=1249200498056&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobheadername1=Content-disposition&blobheadervalue1=attachment;filename=Amtrak_LakeShoreLtd_2009.pdf

I used to take Amtrak back to Kalamazoo Michigan back in the day ... visit fam and friends left behind after the migration east decades ago. Awful experience pretty much every time. I vowed never to subject my self to it again. Every trip I took was cramped, back ceasing inability to stretch out. Noisy, and not just from errant brats running around, but the edifice of the train its self rocked and rumbled - not like the smooth as glass vibe you get from watching the History Channel when they are covering some touristy deal in Europe or Asia. Sometimes with enough gigga motions as to actually draw up real concern, too. And, insultingly, it was like 100 bucks - where did they get off?

Then, on 2 different occasions, the train actually broke down out in the middle of no-where. I've seen movies where that was written into the plot line - make no bones about it, Amtrak back in the 1980's was notorious for that crap. We were hauled amid a cornfield some 50 miles E of Toledo Ohio in northern Ohio once; from the looks of your map, probably that same line just before or after it splits and goes up into southern lower Michigan. And, the conductors notified each car that we would be sticking put for a few hours while a replacement part and a contingent of mechanics were in route - I guess he thought we'd think it was funny when he commiserated parts falling off the train. We all glanced around at each other with wtf's on our faces.

Another time, I got on the train in Kalamazoo heading east. We got about 20 miles east of Battle Creek when the train just started slowing down. It didn't even feel like they were applying the breaks. Just a gradual deceleration over some 5 or so mile, until the train came to a complete stop. No one said much or reacted. People kept peering down upon their reading material, while occasional baby chirps and giggling 4-year olds played along side some douche bags rap music. Eventually, glances at watches commenced. Although, I would be remiss if I did not mention that there was always the occasional whiff of diesel exhaust on the best of trips... Some 45 minutes to an hour later we were kindly, finally, informed of the dilemma. Fatal break down. Another hour later and pretty much everyone was ad nauseam through with trains for ever in the moment, when an armada of taxi cabs arrived along side the two-lane road that paralleled the tracks. I wonder what they would have done if that added little bonus of actually having a road happen to be there, were not that case? Wow. They stuck people in pairs and threes in cabs destined to their specific stops. Mine was Toledo, where a train switch was scheduled. It was 3 hours in a disgusting sticky filthy cab that smelled like b.o., old cigarettes and that unmistakable yet distant aroma of an ancient vomiting episode. So my cab arrives at Toledo at 11pm. The switch was supposed to happen by 7:30, but those in route to Toledo were so delayed by Amtrak's complete incompetence, that trained bailed and the rescheduled our switch for 1am. 2 hour layover - have you ever been in Toledo's station? It may have changed in the last 25 years, but back then, the place was about as creepy as a scene out of that insane asylum movie with Holle Barry. I asked the lady behind the counter for the bathroom and she sent me down 3 flight of stairs, down some hollowed hall with a flickering light, and through 100pb door that was graffitied with "f ck"+Men at 3pm on Thursdays.

I can't believe that outfit still runs and hasn't been disbanded as a company.

No train tracks I know of here. Closest is through Hinsdale on the West side of the Spine. That looks like exactly where it goes as per the Map you posted. Funny, I've traveled along those tracks twice a day for years and I can't recall ever seeing an Amtrack train. I'll pay closer attention now.

No train tracks I know of here. Closest is through Hinsdale on the West side of the Spine. That looks like exactly where it goes as per the Map you posted. Funny, I've traveled along those tracks twice a day for years and I can't recall ever seeing an Amtrack train. I'll pay closer attention now.

Only twice a day. Once around 4:30 PM and again within an hour of that in the other direction. By that time, you're thinking of dinner and 18Z model review...lol...

Only twice a day. Once around 4:30 PM and again within an hour of that in the other direction. By that time, you're thinking of dinner and 18Z model review...lol...

Those tracks go nowhere near where Pete is. They do go through Chester, MA, a distinct town that has nothing to do with Chesterfield, MA. A quick look at Google Maps makes it all quite evident.

Those tracks go nowhere near where Pete is. They do go through Chester, MA, a distinct town that has nothing to do with Chesterfield, MA. A quick look at Google Maps makes it all quite evident.

Your right Lars, those tracks run parallel to rt 20 in Chester. Forgive Jerry though, if you' re from the city it all looks and sounds the same.lol

That's even more astonishing as I'm often on that stretch of road at that time. Maybe I've seen a passenger train there but it just never registered. I'll be keeping an eye out. Nice protest on the airline price gouging. I flew Delta to and from Alaska and it was sickening how they just nickle and dime you. The checked bag fee is the most irratating of all. Still, they got me there and back on time and in one piece so....

I realize there is a contingent of individuals on this forum who's posting content make it fairly obvious they are dancing around a private inability to accept the ensuing warm season ... but just the same, the NAO is falling among all the GFS members as we close out this month and head on into the first week of May. The PNA is also rising. This is true at both the CPC and CDC.

Having said that, don't get one's hopes up. These teleconnectors are really losing their correlation with the pattern on a steep divergent curve as we head into May. In fact, by month's end, the PNA has almost no correlation on the pattern. A +PNA one year will find a 95+ heat wave on the EC, and the next, a weakness in the geopotential medium over the OV and daily cool pool aloft attributed thunder. The wave lengths overall are shrinking like an Irish guy in North Atlantic waters, too - which means a -NAO has to be evaluated differently.

Snow from mid April until mid May is ludicrous when one considers the actual summer solstice is so near on the calendar. But it does happen every so many decades - not talking noodles like the other day, but your 1977's and 1987's and so forth. 1977 did have a fairly remarkable "apparent" correlation with a short duration +NAO --> -NAO snap, which is complicated but already discussed in the past. There are those systems where more local synoptic-scaled anomalies snuck in between the general canvas of the pattern, too.

I realize there is a contingent of individuals on this forum who's posting content make it fairly obvious they are dancing around a private inability to accept the ensuing warm season ... but just the same, the NAO is falling among all the GFS members as we close out this month and head on into the first week of May. The PNA is also rising. This is true at both the CPC and CDC.

Having said that, don't get one's hopes up. These teleconnectors are really losing their correlation with the pattern on a steep divergent curve as we head into May. In fact, by month's end, the PNA has almost no correlation on the pattern. A +PNA one year will find a 95+ heat wave on the EC, and the next, a weakness in the geopotential medium over the OV and daily cool pool aloft attributed thunder. The wave lengths overall are shrinking like an Irish guy in North Atlantic waters, too - which means a -NAO has to be evaluated differently.

Snow from mid April until mid May is ludicrous when one considers the actual summer solstice is so near on the calendar. But it does happen every so many decades - not talking noodles like the other day, but your 1977's and 1987's and so forth. 1977 did have a fairly remarkable "apparent" correlation with a short duration +NAO --> -NAO snap, which is complicated but already discussed in the past. There are those systems where more local synoptic-scaled anomalies snuck in between the general canvas of the pattern, too.

The whole point of the thread was to discuss the rare late April/mid May events of the past, and what we can learn from them I guess.

I am making no predicitions or forecast.

Anomolous events are what it is all about.

The whole point of the thread was to discuss the rare late April/mid May events of the past, and what we can learn from them I guess.

I am making no predicitions or forecast.

Anomolous events are what it is all about.

Well then you'll like the 12z Euro :thumbsup: hahhaa

Archived