amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
4/10-4/11 Potential torch

earthlight

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the clearing line has pushed eastward, the cooling effect of southerly winds is starting to be felt well into the southern half of Brooklyn, Queens and Nassau counties.

WeatherBug and Weather Underground stations indicate the cooling has advanced as far north as around Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn and the Grand Central Parkway in Queens.

Several locations have seen a drop of 2-5F in an hour. There appears to be a sea breeze front pushing northward, despite the existing SW gradient winds. Note the winds shifting from SW to SSE/SE in these locations. The sea breeze is advancing fairly rapidly northward, and it looks like it will reach the North Shore in the next few hours.

http://classic.wunde...sp?ID=KNYVALLE1

http://classic.wunde...sp?ID=KNYFREEP2

http://classic.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNYCARLE1

http://classic.wunde...p?ID=KNYBROOK41

http://classic.wunde...p?ID=KNYMIDDL23

Here's a graph from Middle Village, Queens showing these changes:

post-88-0-18301800-1302546329.gif

I'm almost positive they will get it..it's still climbing here and the skies are clear.

yea, I agree. 850 mb mesoanalysis shows 850 mb temps near 16 degrees Celcius. We have decent mixing probably even above 850 mb. That should easily yield temps in the mid 80's. I believe Newark can get to 85 or maybe even a bit beyond that.

this rules...time to go grab an iced coffee and drive down the shore with some ladies. i suggest everybody else in college do the same. im looking at you zucker.

I'm not in college, dude, I graduated already...working a couple part-time jobs, but am off today. Feels too hot outside, ugh, get the cold front in here. Staying in the cool basement and pretending it's not a massacre out there...

speaking of zucker.. I wonder what the temps could be there on top of mt. Zucker. :whistle:

76.3/61...we've started to fall off as the wind has shifted more to the south, so we're probably done for the day with a high of 77F. At least it's nothing like April 2010. HPN is at 68F with a strong south wind so the sea breeze has definitely gotten in there.

does hpn have the same elevation as him? serious question

HPN is at 400'...my house is at 341' although the woods behind it top out around 425'. HPN is usually a bit cooler as they're farther from the heat island and to my north.

I'm not in college, dude, I graduated already...working a couple part-time jobs, but am off today. Feels too hot outside, ugh, get the cold front in here. Staying in the cool basement and pretending it's not a massacre out there...

76.3/61...we've started to fall off as the wind has shifted more to the south, so we're probably done for the day with a high of 77F. At least it's nothing like April 2010. HPN is at 68F with a strong south wind so the sea breeze has definitely gotten in there.

HPN is at 400'...my house is at 341' although the woods behind it top out around 425'. HPN is usually a bit cooler as they're farther from the heat island and to my north.

You really hate the warmth don't ya? You should take off from the board all summer :lol:

You really hate the warmth don't ya? You should take off from the board all summer :lol:

I don't particularly admire the humid NYC summer, that's for sure. I will enjoy the nice crisp spring days later in the week when it's 60F with stiff NW winds lowering the dewpoints, should have some more stuff in bloom by then too although it's been a slow spring thus far...this humidity and haze can be sort of sickening after a while; you just long for a refreshing airmass by the time it gets to early August here.

I don't post nearly as much in summer...I like to see what severe weather threatens my vegetable garden, but honestly talking about how much CAPE and bulk instability you have in NYC metro seems like a waste since we rarely get any true severe weather here compared to other parts of the country. 2008 was a pretty active season but otherwise it's been hit-or-miss. I generally find mesoscale forecasting less interesting than the synoptics of large winter storms, so I don't discuss it as much.

We've ticked up to 77.0/61, maybe we will make 80F today although HPN won't...

Highs through 2PM on this warmest day of the year thus far:

TTN 80

DYL 78

PNE 78

WRI 82

VAY 82

LOM 79

NEL 83

UKT 81

PHL 79

MJX 82

BLM 81