• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
4/10-4/11 Potential torch

earthlight

Beautiful day..it's been warm all day. Light breeze..love it.

High of 58.1F here after a low of 35.3F, pretty much an average spring day after the cold temperatures yesterday. Currently 46.8/26...

I've noticed the NWS has been lowering temperatures for later next week in response to models, especially the ECM, showing a cut-off meandering off the Eastern Seaboard. That will lock in NE winds with some cloud cover, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see Wednesday-Friday trend cooler with highs in the mid 50s compared to the mid 60s that were expected, especially for those who live north and east of NYC.

I really hope it stays sunny next week as I'm wanting to get my garden started in full by late April; so far, I've planted only cauliflower, carrots, peas, arugula, and Brussels sprouts outside. The cauliflower were small plants from Home Depot, the rest I sowed by seed which are just starting to germinate. I'm on spring break from teaching from April 16-24, want to get the green beans planted at this time as well as the squash and zucchini. Tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers will wait until the soil warms in early May....but we need some sun to increase the soil temperatures.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For gods sake, don't forget the radishes....they love this weather.

LOL radishes, I have grown them before but don't usually bother...I have a small backyard so am really limited in terms of vegetable gardening. In terms of quantities, I'm probably looking at two hills of zucchini, two hills of winter squash, four tomato plants (two hybrid beefsteaks, two heirloom), four eggplants, four peppers (two hot, two sweet), three containers of peas, one container cherry tomatoes, a small patch of beans, a couple 8-foot rows of carrots, a couple Brussels sprouts, two 6-foot rows arugula. And even this will be REALLY pushing it.

I hear ya buddy....but radishes are ready in 22 days...then harvest and plant the warm season crops :)

Yeah true....I am going to plant some fast-growing, cool-weather crop in the area where I eventually plan to sow the heirloom tomatoes and eggplants, those aren't going to be in the ground until mid-May, especially with the way we're going this spring. I've been favoring arugula/lettuce so far in these parts of the garden but maybe some radishes would complement that salad after all?

Wed-Fri will be fine...the cutoff keeps getting delayed. The DGEX has the cutoff still back to our west on Friday with temperatures in the 60's.

Rite. You know man, cut off trofs are NOT s/w trofs. They usually trend slower with the guidance (which have a hard time timing them).

anyone notice the 00z mos back off the temps for MON a bit tnt?

Yup..i've been watching...models have been slightly lowering heights a bit as well as 850 warming. I'm still confident everybody gets into the mid to upper 70's though..this isn't a surface problem like it was last week. It sucks to live on the immediate shore this time of year...but what can you do. For you and me and everybody else slightly inland..Monday will be beautiful.

Yup..i've been watching...models have been slightly lowering heights a bit as well as 850 warming. I'm still confident everybody gets into the mid to upper 70's though..this isn't a surface problem like it was last week. It sucks to live on the immediate shore this time of year...but what can you do. For you and me and everybody else slightly inland..Monday will be beautiful.

at this time of year, any day that is sunny and > 65 is a win.. :thumbsup: it was the clouds that killed me last time

it looked like the nam has a sneaky warm day on tuesday too..Maybe back to back 70's?

Yup. Not everyone, trust me. :(

The difference will be like night and day commuting from Manhattan to back home.

Monday still looks like at least 70s across NYC and west, with a SSW flow. Tuesday could be warmer, if they aren't too many clouds and showers. But more models are developing a wave and coastal low along the cold front, that could keeps many of us in the 50s with an onshore flow and some showers on Wednesday.

The 00z euro looks to have two warm days mon and tuesday....cooler the closer to the coast you are(but still warm). Then from wed-friday its def cooler with the cutoff of the coast.....also has alot of rain for us next weekend from the midwest storm....prob sneak in a warm day before the midwest storm......but might be tainted with clouds.

Edit: fwiw the 06z gfs now shows this cooler wed-friday temps with the cut off for mid-week.....might be score one for the euro.

The 00z euro looks to have two warm days mon and tuesday....cooler the closer to the coast you are(but still warm). Then from wed-friday its def cooler with the cutoff of the coast.....also has alot of rain for us next weekend from the midwest storm....prob sneak in a warm day before the midwest storm......but might be tainted with clouds.

Edit: fwiw the 06z gfs now shows this cooler wed-friday temps with the cut off for mid-week.....might be score one for the euro.

Yeah Tim the 12z GFS shows this as well now. Keeps temps in the upper 40s to low 50s during the afternoon Tuesday and Wednesday with NELY flow / showers.

Very cloudy pattern we've been in the past month. Of this week, today, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday are likely to have more clouds than sun. Even tomorrow could be cloudy until the afternoon.

Longer term through late April looks to feature more N-S gradient pattern w/ warmth across the South and cooler temps from the nern plains to northeast. Definitely not seeing any prolonged stretches of warmth in the forseeable future, but we'll continue to get 1 or 2 days here and there.

Agreed. In the Wed-Sun period, I think Thu is the only day NYC will likely get into the 60s, and the only day where there will be more sun than clouds. If the cutoff moves far enough east, even coastal areas could approach 60.

By the way, I'm not convinced anyone east of a Dobbs Ferry-Teterboro-Staten Island line will get into the 70s tomorrow. NAM RH profiles show low clouds hanging on a good portion of the day with winds backing from SW to S through the day.

Nice day Thursday in advance of the next storm:

day2probotlk_1730_any.gif

I think Upton has an anti-thunderstorm bias I believe there is small shot for anywhere except eastern half of LI and coastal CT of seeing an few non-severe general isolated thundershowers tomorrow night where I checked the total totals will go above 50 and there will meager instability around 300 from tomorrow night through Tuesday. All the other NWS station has thunderstorms in forecast including Tauton and Albany and there are both northeast of the area. Severe weather for area will not happen until probably at least May.

Archived