• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
4/10-4/11 Potential torch

earthlight

Today was nice. I was far enough from the ocean to warm up and in winter I'm close enough to the ocean to get less snowfall, it's like the best of both worlds.

Summer 2010 spoiled me so if I had to sit through a June 2009-esque event then...I don't even know lol. Summer isn't supposed to be cool imo.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temp went from 61 to 72 in the past hour here as the wind shifted to the sw

HPN just spiked to 70 as the wind turned West from South...the warmth is really noticeable here in Westchester as it's extremely muggy and uncomfortable outside. The house is definitely too hot right now.

70.3/56 here, just ridiculous for midnight in mid-April.

70 still? This is so awesome...

I'm in Raleigh, NC right now where it is the same temp (74) as it is in Central Park. Of course in summer, usually Central Park is warmer then practically every other station at night on the east coast north of Miami except for DCA and occasionally RIC.

I'm in Raleigh, NC right now where it is the same temp (74) as it is in Central Park. Of course in summer, usually Central Park is warmer then practically every other station at night on the east coast north of Miami except for DCA and occasionally RIC.

LGA is usually warmer than Central Park though.

LGA is usually warmer than Central Park though.

Yea, I was looking, and LGA had a day in late july of 98/84. That is ****ing ridiculous. The highest low at central park last summer was 81 in early july (day it got to 103). I think where I live in the city is probably warmer than both though. At the PWS closest to me, last July had 6 days where the low was 80+, with a max of 86 (higher than MIA recorded all summer). Sounds about right, I remember rolling out around 2am some nights for a snack or whatever and it was definitely still 90+. Not even the warmest PWS in DC had a low that high. Newark had a 99/82 day last year.

RIC actually radiates pretty well so they usually cool down quite a bit more than Central Park, I find. Heck, Atlanta usually gets its first freeze in winter sooner than Central Park. RIC is at 70F right now while Central Park is at 71F, so not much difference tonight.

I hate this summer like weather in April, its still in the 70s with dews near 60, yuck. :thumbsdown:

This is absolutely disgusting, my house feels like a steamroom. I don't understand how anyone can like hot, muggy nights; it's terrible sleeping weather and makes your whole body feel so sticky and gross. This is one thing I loved about living in Montana: even during mid-July with highs getting into the low 80s, the dry airmass cools quickly at night out West with the valley locations getting into the lower 50s and the mountains where I was getting into the 40s every night. That's what I call summer, warm days with no humidity and then a refreshingly cool night that occasionally requires a sweatshirt. I don't understand why people on this forum are celebrating this stifling heat, it makes me feel putrid.

Dewpoints have started to drop a little....68.6/58 here, horrible for 2:30am in mid-April. Had a few hundredths of rain from a light shower passing through earlier...it only wet the ground but made the air feel even muggier. I assume we'll start to cool off tomorrow with winds shifting to the NE as the cut-off develops.

Yea, I was looking, and LGA had a day in late july of 98/84. That is ****ing ridiculous. The highest low at central park last summer was 81 in early july (day it got to 103). I think where I live in the city is probably warmer than both though. At the PWS closest to me, last July had 6 days where the low was 80+, with a max of 86 (higher than MIA recorded all summer). Sounds about right, I remember rolling out around 2am some nights for a snack or whatever and it was definitely still 90+. Not even the warmest PWS in DC had a low that high. Newark had a 99/82 day last year.

Im trying to remember when it was.... I think 1993.... the low at LGA was 87 and a high the next day of 103. It felt like being in a sauna. JFK only got down to 80 that night and got up to 102 that day.

I checked forecasts for here and for Mt Sinai.... they have the north shore of Long Island even colder with temps in the mid 30s with light rain.

forecast for here:

Sunday Night

Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain in the evening... then partly cloudy after midnight. Lows in the upper 30s. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Mt. Sinai:

Sunday Night

Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain in the evening... then partly cloudy after midnight. Lows in the mid 30s. Chance of rain 30 percent.

You can see on the 0z ECM that there is a low tracking through the Midwest at Day 5, with NYC around 0C 850s due to the powerful -EPO/Alaska block displacing some of the cold air from the PV further south:

Yep and it looks like parts of the midwest could get a really heavy late season wet snow storm.

Would upper 30s really be a record for JFK in mid-April? There are no colder nights with clear skies?

NWS has a dismal weekend here, 56/44 with rain Saturday and 53/34 with rain Sunday. If it tapers off Sunday afternoon and we start to clear out, we should have at least a frost, and potentially a freeze, in the northern suburbs. Won't put in the rest of the vegetable garden until this cold shot is over; it will be time to plan the beans/squash in two weekends when the chance of any freeze by germination time, April 27th, is less than 30% here.

Would upper 30s really be a record for JFK in mid-April? There are no colder nights with clear skies?

NWS has a dismal weekend here, 56/44 with rain Saturday and 53/34 with rain Sunday. If it tapers off Sunday afternoon and we start to clear out, we should have at least a frost, and potentially a freeze, in the northern suburbs. Won't put in the rest of the vegetable garden until this cold shot is over; it will be time to plan the beans/squash in two weekends when the chance of any freeze by germination time, April 27th, is less than 30% here.

It might be for Sunday night and it would be the morning of the 18th, so more towards the latter part of April. I don't think there were any record lows at JFK lower than 40 after the 19th as far as I can recall. Their records only go back to 1960 though.

Hmmm weird, I don't remember this but April 10, 1997 (10 days after the Fools Day storm), JFK had a low of 28? That was colder than the morning after the April 1996 snowstorm a year earlier when they got 5"!

The record for 4/18 is 35 from 2003.... that occurred 11 days after the snowstorm that dumped 7" here.... I don't remember that cold snap either lol. I thought it just warmed up a few days after the snowstorm and didn't get cold again.

Record lows at JFK in the 30s as late as May 14, 1987.... looks like there were some as low as 34 all the way up through the first week of May.... many of these were in 1966 and 1967. I remember the 37 low on May 6, 1992, that was a really cool summer in the wake of Pinatubo and the high that day was in the upper 40s, with snow being reported as close as Morristown, NJ that day.

That 39 degree low on May 14, 1987 is impressive but even more impressive is the 34 degree low on May 10, 1966-- OUCH!

Archived