• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
April 1st-2nd Nor'Easter Potential

Snow_Miser

That third piece of energy dropping in is really screwing us..........something in which I don't understand is why its not completely phasing in. It looks like it wants too but it just never does.

Edit: It does, just way way too late which causes the low to bomb over northern New England

the chances for snow have been at about 3% for nearly 48 hrs now, its over, and so is winter

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we get .25 instead of 1 inch..It's rain..tomorrow will be a gloomy damp April day, no surprise.ummm lets move on to spring!

at this point im rooting for no precip at all...Luckily we have the RUC :thumbsup:

http://ruc.noaa.gov/rucnew/jsloop.cgi?dsKeys=ruc7t:&runTime=2011033114&plotName=3hap_sfc&fcstInc=60&numFcsts=25&model=ruc&ptitle=RUCModelFields&maxFcstLen=24&resizePlot=1&domain=full&wjet=1

however i doubt it goes that far east

The 12z GFS really weakens the leading vort and splits it into two...before it was the amplification and closing off of that vort over land that was bringing the rainy solution.

Now the GFS is opting for more a NAM like solution, with a weaker, more divergent vort that does not close off till NNE. Precip is obviously reduced, but thats what we want in this situation

Either the models are very wrong, or there are going to be some major busts....At least it hurts less in April than it would in January or February

I would have cried if this happened in December or January. Lets see what happens with this storm. I remember the models cut back the precip for the Jan event. The area ended up with close to 20 inches. Who knows, maybe the models will be wrong this time.

This winter the models have been Putrid. There is something with the 12Z models and 72 -78 hrs out where it seemed like whatever they show was completely opposite of what happened. They also held onto a similar solution for several days only to completely go in a different direction within 66 hrs or so. Luckily we had it go in our favor mostly this year.

HPC thinks the new guidance with the weaker and easterly solution is correct:

...CYCLONE LIFTING UP THE EASTERN SEABOARD DAY 1...

PRELIMINARY PREFERENCE: BLEND OF NAM AND GFS

THE NAM...GFS...AND GEM REGIONAL HAVE ALL TRENDED SLIGHTLY

OFFSHORE WITH THE TRACK OF THIS WAVE...AND LESS INTENSE WITH THE

ULTIMATE DEPTH OF THE CYCLONE OVER THE GULF OF MAINE. THE

NAM...GFS...GEM REGIONAL...AND UKMET ARE SLOWER THAN THE 00Z/31

ECMWF TO PHASE THE ENERGY ALONG THE SOUTH CAROLINA COAST INTO THE

INITIAL WAVE OFF THE MID ATLANTIC COAST...WHICH DELAYS THE RAPID

DEEPENING PHASE AND THE CHANCE FOR A MID LEVEL CIRCULATION TO

CLOSE OFF AND HOVER NEAR LONG ISLAND. THE 00Z/31 ECENS MEAN WAS

ALSO SKEWED IN THE DIRECTION OF THE MORE SHEARED SOLUTIONS...AND

PERHAPS MOST SIGNIFICANTLY...THE 00Z/31 UKMET BROKE DRAMATICALLY

WITH THE SLOWER...INTENSE SOLUTION IT HAD LOCKED ONTO FOR MANY

DAYS. AS A RESULT...WILL RECOMMEND A SOLUTION ALONG THE LINES OF

NEW NAM AND GFS. THE DETAILS OF THOSE MODELS ARE DIFFERENT...SO

HOPEFULLY ONE OF THE OTHER NEW RUNS WILL OFFER A MORE SOLID

FORECAST.

This winter the models have been Putrid. There is something with the 12Z models and 72 -78 hrs out where it seemed like whatever they show was completely opposite of what happened. They also held onto a similar solution for several days only to completely go in a different direction within 66 hrs or so. Luckily we had it go in our favor mostly this year.

Most of the storms this past winter busted in our favor( boxing day storm , end of January storm . I don't know what the hell is up with the models. All of them have sucked. I think they need to upgrade all of them lol

The NWS has the LV under 5-10, just like they did for the storm last week that netted about an inch. I don't undertstand their call last time, and don't understand this one either. 5-10 was a long shot from the beginning.

Last time (the 23rd) ABE had 2.6 inches ..3 inches here in center city and then Northampton area (granted thats not lehigh county) had 5.5 inches so it was very well warranted..

Guidance was suggesting that everything was coming together good for a late season spring snow nor easter ..but now guidance is falling apart instead of keeping with what they were suggesting. Its weather & its always changing and evolving so it does indeed happen!

Archived