• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
April 1st-2nd Nor'Easter Potential

Snow_Miser

It's funny how everyone is obsessed with the 850mb 0C isotherm on the GFS surface charts.

The surface low track has barely changed over the past few days but the board consensus switched from blizzard in the City to all rain based on this one line moving 50 miles. I can only remember one or two GFS runs that would have actually brought plowable snow to the NYC terminals anyway. Almost everything else has indicated mostly rain. That being said, there's still a decent chance parts of the City receive some snow from this storm, with even a small chance they receive amounts that would be historic for this time of the year.

An interpolated line on a map, produced in 3 or 6 hour snapshots does not determine rain vs. snow. In reality, it can snow 100miles south of the continuous 850mb 0C line. Pockets of subfreezing air at this level can, and likely will form in areas of high UVVs and heavy precipitation.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the last 24hrs the GFS has cut our precip total in half up here.. But thats expected for the 2010-2011 season.. smh

In reality the gap between relative QPF maxima to our west and NE will likely fill in, producing a widespread 1-1.25"+ liquid.

I'm more concerned about temps than QPF. With a robust 300mb jet structure and a storm this size... mid-levels cutting off overhead, and the SLP slowing near the Cape, it's almost impossible to predict QPF. Could be .6" and it could be 2.5". It doesn't really matter what a global model prints out. We just have to get lucky with the development and evolution of precip and banding features. I just hope that whatever falls is mostly snow.

In reality the gap between relative QPF maxima to our west and NE will likely fill in, producing a widespread 1-1.25"+ liquid.

I'm more concerned about temps than QPF. With a robust 300mb jet structure and a storm this size... mid-levels cutting off overhead, and the SLP slowing near the Cape, it's almost impossible to predict QPF. Could be .6" and it could be 2.5". It doesn't really matter what a global model prints out. We just have to get lucky with the development and evolution of precip and banding features. I just hope that whatever falls is mostly snow.

Well I think we all agree that this most likely will be a elevation storm. What elevation do you feel substancial accumulating snow will take place? I would also think longitude plays a factor here as well. Do you agree?

Well I think we all agree that this most likely will be a elevation storm. What elevation do you feel substancial accumulating snow will take place? I would also think longitude plays a factor here as well. Do you agree?

Yeah, I do agree. Lat and lon will help, just to escape the 850mb (and nearby layer) warming. But I'd much rather be on the top of Schunemunk than in Saugerties or Port Jervis.

In my area of Putnam County, 500ft seems to be the magic number for serious accumulations during typical Spring snowstorms. But I think substantial accumulations will be above 1000ft (and most likely to our north). It's difficult to say because the model soundings suggest snow accumulations at even lower elevations, especially by Friday morning. But I think we will lose a lot of QPF to rain and poor ratios.

Yeah, I do agree. Lat and lon will help, just to escape the 850mb (and nearby layer) warming. But I'd much rather be on the top of Schunemunk than in Saugerties or Port Jervis.

In my area of Putnam County, 500ft seems to be the magic number for serious accumulations during typical Spring snowstorms. But I think substantial accumulations will be above 1000ft (and most likely to our north). It's difficult to say because the model soundings suggest snow accumulations at even lower elevations, especially by Friday morning. But I think we will lose a lot of QPF to rain and poor ratios.

Ughh Schunemunk :) .. I used to live on the east facing slope of that mountain.

I can see poor ratios but rain? I just dont see rain for this part of the HV. Maybe at the onset but once it gets going I think we are in the clear out here. Once again I think the further east you are the longer you stay liquid.

Ughh Schunemunk :) .. I used to live on the east facing slope of that mountain.

I can see poor ratios but rain? I just dont see rain for this part of the HV. Maybe at the onset but once it gets going I think we are in the clear out here. Once again I think the further east you are the longer you stay liquid.

At KSWF and KFWN on the GFS, everything below 850-800mb warms to near 0C by 06z tomorrow night into Friday morning. And the surface is just above freezing. If that's right, or worse, a little too cold, it could definitely rain at least for periods. With mid-level warming, it just cannot be ruled out, at least until you get well up into Ulster or Sullivan.

If the low-mid levels turn out favorable, then it's just a matter of precip intensity and how easily we cool the surface to 33 or 34F. Like you, I expect mostly frozen ptypes beginning tomorrow late evening for your area.

So that backend of 1-2 inches might verify on the coastal plain.

Can't be ruled out with deepening upper level low moving right overhead Friday morning. By the time it reaches Boston, they could see sub 520dm, which are heights otherwise confined to northern Canada. We'd need to get lucky with some heavier snowbands lingering on the backside of the 700mb low.

Can't be ruled out with deepening upper level low moving right overhead Friday morning. By the time it reaches Boston, they could see sub 520dm, which are heights otherwise confined to northern Canada. We'd need to get lucky with some heavier snowbands lingering on the backside of the 700mb low.

How much are you thinking for Boston? Im thinking 3-6 inches up that way.

Euro still looking way colder than the gfs with 0c 850s east of the big cities by hr 36, and then 0.25 -0.50 more thru hr 42.. So there is definately some snow involved here.

By the time this storm actually comes to fruition, the trauma of all these disparate model runs will fragment Zucker's mind into about 10 different personalities (two of which John has illustrated above).... there will be a different personality for each model and each ensemble mean also ;)

Euro is a hair colder again...looks like 0.25-0.50" at least QPF as snow west of NYC after the initial WAA push...if this solution verified there would be a few inches west of the city.

John, in terms of track, is it identical to the 12z run or a few miles (10 maybe?) east?

Euro is a hair colder again...looks like 0.25-0.50" at least QPF as snow west of NYC after the initial WAA push...if this solution verified there would be a few inches west of the city.

you think its a red flag that its colder than the gfs at this range? like the last storm... or should we just give up any hope for accumulating snow in NE jersey?

MGJ

In order: Day/time/date/2mtemp/850temp/pressure/rh/700rh/6hrqpf/500height/1000-500thk

FRI 06Z 01-APR 1.5 -0.4 1003 98 91 0.18 542 539

FRI 12Z 01-APR 1.0 -1.5 997 96 97 0.39 535 538

FRI 18Z 01-APR 1.6 -4.2 994 89 94 0.46 529 534

SAT 00Z 02-APR 2.2 -3.2 995 89 93 0.16 528 532

SAT 06Z 02-APR 0.5 -3.2 996 83 73 0.01 527 531

Would you mind doing KAVP? My 8 year old's birthday party is Saturday morning and I need to pick her up Friday night.

Looks snowy to me

THU 18Z 31-MAR 3.1 -3.4 1010 81 57 0.03 545 537

FRI 00Z 01-APR 1.4 -2.1 1008 96 77 0.03 543 536

FRI 06Z 01-APR 0.6 -0.9 1003 98 94 0.13 540 537

FRI 12Z 01-APR 0.5 -2.3 998 98 86 0.16 534 535

FRI 18Z 01-APR 2.1 -3.8 996 87 93 0.16 530 533

How much are you thinking for Boston? Im thinking 3-6 inches up that way.

I'd lean toward the low end of that range, and conservative in general. It's even possible the east end gets very little.

The track looks to go right over or near Boston. I don't like frontside snows in Spring, and it's even worse with that track. So they'll be battling the mid-levels and the surface temps. By the time they're into the wraparound it's Friday afternoon. But I haven't looked at New England much.

I'd lean toward the low end of that range, and conservative in general. It's even possible the east end gets very little.

The track looks to go right over or near Boston. I don't like frontside snows in Spring, and it's even worse with that track. So they'll be battling the mid-levels and the surface temps. By the time they're into the wraparound it's Friday afternoon. But I haven't looked at New England much.

Interior/Elevation event.... might be a foot plus from the Poconos through Worcester. My sister lives in Carbon County, which is NW of Allentown and about 2000 ft elevation.

Archived