Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
April 2nd - April 5th Severe Weather

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, just playing around with some numbers from the RUC forecast for this afternoon before the forecast crunch time hits up here in Maine. With the expected wind fields, and afternoon temps of 75/60 near Galesburg I come up with wind gusts around 50 knots and the potential for tornadic winds well into EF3 range (thanks in large part to large values of 0-1km shear).

Hmm. We were thinking about the Galesburg/Monmouth areas too, but the more I look at the RUC I think we're gonna go into southeast Iowa. The RUC is considerably more bullish with low-level shear there compared to the NAM. That area also has much better instability than further east.

Maybe Burlington IA?

I'm pretty sure last year around this time was when SEMI got its first severe storm...I pretty good hailer that moved through Oakland county. Actually a pretty simmilar situation...snowstorm here in Colorado where I'm at on vacation, and severe storms in MI...

I'll wait till something actually fires up over my house before I get too upset though :rolleyes:

NAM playing catch up on moisture return over the deep south into TN..12z much more moist then 00z and it still looks behind some as of 14z

You can really see the deeper moisture return on IR, over central Arkansas especially. Since the moist airmass will be cooler (remember evaporation is a cooling process) it will show up "brigther" on the IR images. So you can see the brighter airmass quickly surging towards Missouri. A quick distance/time on that leading edge would have it over central Illinois in about 10 hours (or 00z).

Edit: That and now that we have visible you can see it with the stratocu along the Gulf Coast.

My fav set of data - did well last year in my area (did well in the winter, as well)

http://www.emc.ncep....nt4km/conus/00/

New run comes out in a few hours

Glad SPC moved the highest probs to the east and south for tomorrow - looks better now on their outlook. Figure we end up with a moderate somewhere from south central KY down into MS/AL. See how it goes.

WINDY here today - gusts already over 40 mph. I am expecting gusts over 50 here at my place.

This one combines both the NMM and ARW on the same page. I'm going thru withdraw now that Ryan's simulated NMM/ARW radar page was taken down from FSU's website.

Archived