Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2nd - April 5th Severe Weather

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

closing in on 500 severe reports today..and with warnings still active and old reports still trickling in..600 seems possible by 12z

keep in mind .75 and .88 hail reports don't count anymore so its even more impressive

some discrete stuff developing over S AL now

648 by 5z right now.

with a new tornado watch just issued.

Just thought I would throw this out there on why yesterday didn't happen in eastern IA. Here are two sfc maps to compare, one from yesterday at 6pm and one from 3/22 (the Creston, IA tornado day) at 6pm.

As you can see the 3-22 day looks much better in the low-level flow department as there was backed winds at 20kts south of the warm front...but yesterday we had weaker winds and not much backing at all at the sfc which prevented good low-level rotation in those storms. We had better instability yesterday as it was 77/62 just northeast of the sfc low. IMO the tornado threat would of been alot greater if we had strongly backed winds yesterday ahead of those storms.

But who are we kidding, two good days in IA in a row?

Those gusts just looking at the traffic lights/poles were easily over 75mph. I think we will see a lot more adjustments in reports as we go along, I can imagine with how busy the offices were today that there will be fine tuning.

I've determined the video is at the intersection of Union Street and 7th Ave North and they're facing east, towards the Cumberland. The Sheraton is to the right and across 7th, the cross street, the Tennessee Tower is directly to their left and behind them.

600+ wind reports? How many would justify it if this isn't enough. I think either way there will be more 75+ reports to come

Up to 808 wind reports, 908 total reports.(hail tornado and wind)20 tornados and 80 hail.

I don't know if anyone said it yet, but I think with the expanse and amount of reports for wind today a High Risk could have easily been justified.

I believe they base the risks upon the probablity of a severe weather event happening within a 25 mile radius of your location.

So in this case a HIGH risk would have seemed justified. But I wonder if they try to keep the the HIGH risk more for dangerous tornado outbreaks or extreme severe wind events associated with derechos. As to not over use them, which I can understand.

Here is what I found at the SPC site.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/#3.3

Over all I think SPC did a pretty good job on this one. The MDT risk could have been expanded larger, but it was clear from the PSWO that they were concerned about the expanse of the wind event.

PUBLIC SEVERE WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0405 AM CDT MON APR 04 2011

...WIDESPREAD SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS EXPECTED OVER PARTS OF THE LOWER

MISSISSIPPI VALLEY INTO TENNESSEE VALLEY TODAY INTO TONIGHT...

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER IN NORMAN OK IS FORECASTING THE

DEVELOPMENT OF WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS AND POSSIBLY A FEW

TORNADOES OVER PARTS OF THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY INTO TENNESSEE

VALLEY TODAY INTO TONIGHT.

Here is the verification:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/archive/2011/day1otlk_v_20110404_1200.gif

I believe they base the risks upon the probablity of a severe weather event happening within a 25 mile radius of your location.

So in this case a HIGH risk would have seemed justified. But I wonder if they try to keep the the HIGH risk more for dangerous tornado outbreaks or extreme severe wind events associated with derechos. As to not over use them, which I can understand.

Here is what I found at the SPC site.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/#3.3

Over all I think SPC did a pretty good job on this one. Maybe the MDT risk could have been expanded larger, but it was clear from the PSWO that they were concerned about the expanse of the wind event.

PUBLIC SEVERE WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0405 AM CDT MON APR 04 2011

...WIDESPREAD SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS EXPECTED OVER PARTS OF THE LOWER

MISSISSIPPI VALLEY INTO TENNESSEE VALLEY TODAY INTO TONIGHT...

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER IN NORMAN OK IS FORECASTING THE

DEVELOPMENT OF WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS AND POSSIBLY A FEW

TORNADOES OVER PARTS OF THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY INTO TENNESSEE

VALLEY TODAY INTO TONIGHT.

No I agree that normally the high risks are mainly used for tornadic outbreaks, however looking at the reports of structural damage over a wide spread area, this could have easily been justified.

Wow that is a lot of wind reports. I wonder if that is near a record of wind reports or near the overall severe reports in a day. I think a moderate risk with a 45% hatched area for damaging wind seemed justifiable but a high risk with a 60% hatched area for damaging should not have been of the question.

Nice! Looks like you ended up pretty close to where Thundersnow was.

Here's a few more pics from yesterday. The storms were only about a half hour old in the first few pics. These things exploded about as fast as you will ever see. Nothing on the radar to severe in 3-4 scans.

EDIT: I love how when you attach images they go in whatever order they want instead of the order you upload them in. These pics aren't in the order I wanted them, but oh well lol.

Yea, he actually drove past while I was sitting north of Tipton.

Nice pics.

By the way, when you have your pics attached there should be an "add to post" button for each attachment on the right hand side of your screen to place them in the post in the spot/order you want.

Archived