EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
12z Euro

earthlight

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have a analog storm that gave DC and Boson mecs and not as extream in nyc and phl?

With a -NAO where you are lacking either a true 50/50 low or one placed too far north or east along with a posititively titled trough its a plausible scenario...and in this case we have exactly....wow....look at that LOL

With a -NAO where you are lacking either a true 50/50 low or one placed too far north or east along with a posititively titled trough its a plausible scenario...and in this case we have exactly....wow....look at that LOL

Yeah DC get most of there snow from the clipper and Boston gets in from the costal......screw zone between to the two, good thing we are 144 hrs out....not 48

over the past year of model watching, it seems as if most storms trend west inside 5 days on the models. What do you mean by north trend?

Last year was an El Nino with strong blocking. In a La Nina period, the SE ridge is usually stronger and storms tend to trend north as most models usually over do the block and cold. But that rule can be broken at any time, of course. Especially right now with how strong the Blocking is being forecasted.

Last year was an El Nino with strong blocking. In a La Nina period, the SE ridge is usually stronger and storms tend to trend north as most models usually over do the block and cold. But that rule can be broken at any time, of course. Especially right now with how strong the Blocking is being forecasted.

okay thanks, i dont know if he was referring to the euro run or in general, but the euro took the storm up to Maine and then retrogrades and stalls. my question was what did he mean when he said it could trend more north?

How many times have we seen Miller B's trend north?

Don't be fooled...this has NE and Mid Atl screwjob written all over it.

I doubt that. A lot of cold air is coming in after the midweek system. The cold air will be in place for this storm. We also have a block in Canada, so this storm can't go too far north and west.

How many times have we seen Miller B's trend north?

Don't be fooled...this has NE and Mid Atl screwjob written all over it.

This won't be the case where the storm will trend way too far north or west because the blocking and 50/50 will make sure that doesn't happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up like our December 19th storm of last year but a bit further north. The biggest concern for me with the storm is not the lack of cold or the possibility that it will trend too far north and west, but rather that it could be suppressed or more offshore. I think the system being more offshore is the biggest worry but I do like that the models don't have us in the bulls eye this far out. If they did, then I'd be worried.

I don't mean rain for the Mid Atl...the cold is there....but wouldn't a N trend keep this storm from developing in time at least for MD and DEL?

Absolutely...Miller B + La nina=North trend...however in this case we cannot ignore the strength of the block so it is definitely possible that this doesn't trend as much north as it does west and ends up being an I-95 special AT least PHL to BOS maybe DC and Balt also but climo favors areas NE of there.

Vet Day storm 1987 comes to mind.

Absolutely...Miller B + La nina=North trend...however in this case we cannot ignore the strength of the block so it is definitely possible that this doesn't trend as much north as it does west and ends up being an I-95 special AT least PHL to BOS maybe DC and Balt also but climo favors areas NE of there.

I meant to suggest that maybe the block won't be as epic as currently model. They do have a tendency to appear stronger a week out....at least in my (limited) experience.

Yeah that track is tough to get...we saw something semi-similar on Dec 26-27, 2004 but not in that setup. That was more of a miller A that hit far SE VA and then hooked up and hit E NE. I think in this setup, we'll probably see a more straight forward Miller B development...though a retrograde solution cannot be discounted given the train wreck in the N ATL.

So Nov 1987 and Dec 2004 are the only two times you can recall that this happened, Will?  Were they both in el ninos?

So Nov 1987 and Dec 2004 are the only two times you can recall that this happened, Will? Were they both in el ninos?

Albeit similar, the track and storm type for Dec 2004 does not fit the type we may see this wknd...and apparently Nov 87 happened to produce those snow totals not due to track but banding? (I forgot who mentioned it earlier) So in reality this type of setup is most likely extremely rare and I bet it doesn't end up happening as modeled by the euro this aftn...

Archived