joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tulip Trouncer Threat - End of March/ Early April

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite the difference between the 18z GFS op and 18z GFS ensembles. The op have a lousy SWFE, while the ensembles show no sign of a parent low into the lakes and have a cstl moving se of the BM.

They have the 2nd larger system too. Looks like the mean track is over the Cape or somewhere just SE.

Quite the difference between the 18z GFS op and 18z GFS ensembles. The op have a lousy SWFE, while the ensembles show no sign of a parent low into the lakes and have a cstl moving se of the BM.

Btw, as you said the quiet pattern for AK would last for a while but it looks to come to an end shortly.

.LONG TERM FORECAST...

THE WEATHER AND WEATHER PATTERN IS NOT EXPECTED TO CHANGE MUCH OVER

THE WEEKEND. SOUTHERN ALASKA WILL REMAIN IN WEAK CYCLONIC FLOW

THROUGH THE WEEKEND INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK. THE MODELS INDICATE THE

STORM TRACK WILL MOVE FROM THE CONUS WEST COAST TO THE GULF OF ALASKA

BY MID WEEK. IF THIS WORKS OUT IT WILL MEAN AN INCREASED CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION OVER SOUTH CENTRAL AND STRONGER WINDS OVER THE EASTERN

BERING AND GULF OF ALASKA.

Even in a quiet pattern the mountains wring out the snow. 7" worth of snow showers today. My friends were disappointed it was so light,

Btw, as you said the quiet pattern for AK would last for a while but it looks to come to an end shortly.

.LONG TERM FORECAST...

THE WEATHER AND WEATHER PATTERN IS NOT EXPECTED TO CHANGE MUCH OVER

THE WEEKEND. SOUTHERN ALASKA WILL REMAIN IN WEAK CYCLONIC FLOW

THROUGH THE WEEKEND INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK. THE MODELS INDICATE THE

STORM TRACK WILL MOVE FROM THE CONUS WEST COAST TO THE GULF OF ALASKA

BY MID WEEK. IF THIS WORKS OUT IT WILL MEAN AN INCREASED CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION OVER SOUTH CENTRAL AND STRONGER WINDS OVER THE EASTERN

BERING AND GULF OF ALASKA.

Even in a quiet pattern the mountains wring out the snow. 7" worth of snow showers today. My friends were disappointed it was so light,

Yeah I think I mentioned possibly the end of this weekend or early next week. It's not a super active pattern, but as long as you have troughing and instability there..you'll squeeze out some snow.

They have the 2nd larger system too. Looks like the mean track is over the Cape or somewhere just SE.

Well there a two storms possibly on the horizon regardless. They could turn out lousy, but it would be nice if we got a juicy version of the 18z GFS ensemble day 6 storm next week.

Yeah I think I mentioned possibly the end of this weekend or early next week. It's not a super active pattern, but as long as you have troughing and instability there..you'll squeeze out some snow.

You did indeed say that. It strikes me that the Anchorage NWS office would be a cool CWA to forecast for. Such a huge area with different major mountain ranges.

Well there a two storms possibly on the horizon regardless. They could turn out lousy, but it would be nice if we got a juicy version of the 18z GFS ensemble day 6 storm next week.

I think the first storm is more likely to get crushed than the 2nd one...that first one is trying to find some room to amplify in between the two more potent waves...so I'm leaning toward it deamplifying.

The April 1-2 storm seems to have the best synoptic support to it. But given the time range we are working with, I won't be surprised at any outcome.

I didn't get a chance to take much a look at models today, but just from the discussion, it sounds like they're still flattening the 29-30 shortwave, and then the next in line gets a shot as the PV pulls further north / -NAO relaxes. So as with any pattern change, mostly a timing issue

The sun still did a number to the snow pack even though we were in the 30's most of the day. It actually looked quite inviting outside with sunny skies and just some afternoon cumulus

LOL. Did you not go outside today? Or are you just waiting for the air temp to get into the safe 70's before risking an outdoor adventure?

LOL Usually from chimneys, you dolt.

ya, love that smell in advance of a good snowstorm when you have that thickening cirrus overhead along with the fading sun. winds are near calm due to low level inversion from the arctic high in place which helps to enhance that smokey goodness.

LOL. Did you not go outside today? Or are you just waiting for the air temp to get into the safe 70's before risking an outdoor adventure?

:lol: Yeah actually I need dps up in the 60's before heading out now

Nah, I got outside for a bit. Just saying it looked more inviting than it felt once I stepped outside. I can safely lose the jacket, but it's still long sleeves weather.

ya, love that smell in advance of a good snowstorm when you have that thickening cirrus overhead along with the fading sun. winds are near calm due to low level inversion from the arctic high in place which helps to enhance that smokey goodness.

:thumbsup:

Can't get enough of that...makes me feel like a kid, again.

LOL, that's an ideal description preceding a snowstorm. All us sickos thought the same thing.

Christmas Eve 1978...fit that description for us. Mid 30s high, smelled like it was gonna snow as I accompanied my Mom anfd sister on one last shopping foray to the plaza. Forecast was for turning to rain though..but it never did.

Now we have that damp mildewish early spring smell, hot sun angle etc...but you know it can turn on a dime and snow like hell yet because the upper level airmasses are still vodka sometimes in April.

Aside from the smell...the sudden quiet JUST before flakes reach the ground. It's magical and each time like Ray I am brought back to childhood.....holding my grandmother's hand walking as snow begins circa early 1950s.

Archived