joxey
Potential for big event looms large March 28-30

earthlight

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hr 126 mod snow for the area.....

hr 129 still mod snow......

hr 135 preciep out of the area....850's are below the zero the entire event and surface never goes above 32...

it comes in really fast as early at hr 111, nice hit but i'd like to see the shortwave dig more so we get a stronger low and more precip

I really like the pattern for the weekend storm, but we need the shortwave to dig more and create more ridging in front of it to get a big Nor'easter. We have a fairly west--->east zonal flow due to the fact that there isn't a classic +PNA over MT/ID, so we need the shortwave to dive down and allow heights to rise off the coast. The pattern is very classic in most aspects with a west-based NAO block, 50/50 LOW, and cold air entrenched in the Northeast due to a strong Canadian high.

awesome visual zucker and it is indeed classic. If we can get that ridge in the west with the axis over Wyoming to pump more, we may get the amplification we need to get a stronger coastal. Because this storm is definately not cutting to our west

I don't think anyone right now knows (exact dates) when these storms are. GFS has changed dates several times with respect to the 28-30th and now has storms the 26th-27th, the 29th-30th, and the 1st-2nd. GGEM absolutely crushes us the 27th-28th. The title of this thread could be misleading or confusing as the models wrestle with many possible events or one really big event and move the dates one day this way or that way. Not easy to keep up with but very interesting.

WX/PT

I don't think anyone right now knows (exact dates) when these storms are. GFS has changed dates several times with respect to the 28-30th and now has storms the 26th-27th, the 29th-30th, and the 1st-2nd. GGEM absolutely crushes us the 27th-28th. The title of this thread could be misleading or confusing as the models wrestle with many possible events or one really big event and move the dates one day this way or that way. Not easy to keep up with but very interesting.

WX/PT

I think there are basically two major storms in the long-range, meaning beyond the Wednesday/Thursday overrunning. There's an event Sunday, March 27th and then another one on Wednesday March 30th. Of course the models differ in their exact timing, but this is the gist.

We saw this in December, when models were overdoing the first couple waves before the real deal. Usually the NAO transition storms are the legit threats and the others are either squashed or non issues. Should the pattern continue and the 50-50 low remains an entity much longer, then the real deal is probably not the 27-28th wave.

We saw this in December, when models were overdoing the first couple waves before the real deal. Usually the NAO transition storms are the legit threats and the others are either squashed or non issues. Should the pattern continue and the 50-50 low remains an entity much longer, then the real deal is probably not the 27-28th wave.

makes sense..dec 19th the storm was squashed then came the monster..This is pretty much whats being advertised on the gfs and euro tonight. What a monster storm on the 192 hr euro right now. That is probably the big one to correspond with the NAO transition

makes sense..dec 19th the storm was squashed then came the monster..This is pretty much whats being advertised on the gfs and euro tonight. What a monster storm on the 192 hr euro right now. That is probably the big one to correspond with the NAO transition

Before I go to bed, more details on the hr. 192 storm on the Euro? Thanks.

Before I go to bed, more details on the hr. 192 storm on the Euro? Thanks.

its not a big hit verbatim but the 500mb setup is awesome, HM is right, the weekend storm is probably not going to be the big one out of this NAO pattern right now. The wave that enters the picture after will correspond with the NAO transition and possibly be our last noreaster

Take it however you want but either Weds. or the weekend NYC is GOING to see accumulating snow. Don't ask me "what causes you to think this?" It will happen both storms have potential for a decent hit especially given the intensity of precip which this late in the season is IMO more important than storm track, intensity of SFC low is also more important than track as well. But I'd love to have a MET chime in and give me their .02$

Archived