Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Japan Nuclear Crisis Part III

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that we can keep our numbers straight between micro and milli I suggest using the ALT230 on the numberpad in Num Lock to get the µ for micro and the standard m for milli. After all we're only talking about 3 orders of magnitude here between the two (and a possible difference between life and death).

Steve

Yeah, people need to understand micro. In my work, we deal with microns, a thousandth of a millimeter.

Yeah that's not good...

BREAKING NEWS: Radiation 1,600 times normal level 20 km from Fukushima nuke plant: IAEAico_note.gif

Some more info on what's going on right now:

NEWS ADVISORY: What seems to be white hazy smoke rising from No. 3 reactor at Fukushima Daiichi plant

NEWS ADVISORY: White steam-like vapor rising from No. 2 reactor at Fukushima Daiichi plant

NEWS ADVISORY: Works to restore electricity, spray water at Fukushima nuke plant stalled.

CNN: The U.S. military is considering the mandatory evacuation of thousands of American troops and their families in Japan out of concern over rising radiation levels, a senior defense official said, according to CNN's Chris Lawrence.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/21/japan-quake-live-blog-u-s-military-families-in-japan-to-get-iodide-pills-monday/?hpt=T2

More on the troops

The official, who did not want to be on the record talking about ongoing deliberations, says there are no discussions to evacuate all U.S. troops across the country. The talks have focused exclusively on U.S. troops in Yokosuka, just south of Tokyo, the official said. Yokosuka is home to America's largest naval base in Japan.

More on the troops

The official, who did not want to be on the record talking about ongoing deliberations, says there are no discussions to evacuate all U.S. troops across the country. The talks have focused exclusively on U.S. troops in Yokosuka, just south of Tokyo, the official said. Yokosuka is home to America's largest naval base in Japan.

My cousin is in the U.S. Navy and has been stationed in Japan for 2 years.I wish I could think what city he was in,but he was taken out of Japan on Friday with others and taken to Hawaii.Why I don't know.He told my aunt that since the earthquake where he was it was pure chaos and he hadn't slept in days.I'm going to try and find out what city he was in...now I'm curious.

Yokosuka and Kanagawa..I want to say Kanagawa is were he has been for awhile.

Wouldnt that only be about 360msv? The 1600 times normal? IE still not "that" bad.

20km away from the plant according to an earlier post...that seems pretty significant to me. Take a look at the chart posted earlier - if that does in fact translate to 360msv that is getting close to "radiation poisoning if received in a short period of time"

20km away from the plant according to an earlier post...that seems pretty significant to me. Take a look at the chart posted earlier - if that does in fact translate to 360msv that is getting close to "radiation poisoning if received in a short period of time"

it's 161 micro, which is still not an issue...and ."msv" is milli

it's 161 micro, which is still not an issue...and ."msv" is milli

Right sorry had the wrong one...micro...IE not that big a deal.

So messenger had the terminology wrong? Yeah...that seems to be stumping most people a lot. We need to make it so that micro is clearly shown by the use of µ and milli can still be m

Yes and no. It's not that big of a deal...I meant micro not milli used the wrong one. Everyone today has been thinking milli when it's micro...the charts posted are all milli not micro

150-350 micro isn't a big deal at all. Not a good thing obviously....

I think it might be best suited for the folks in this thread to spell out the "micro-", and "milli-", cuz this is getting confused way too often in a topic dicussion like this. As said in a recent page we're talking three orders of magnitude between these two terms.

But for everyone again..

1 micro-sievert = 0.000001 Sievert

1 milli-sievert = 0.001 Sievert OR 1000 micro-sievert

I think it might be best suited for the folks in this thread to spell out the "micro-", and "milli-", cuz this is getting confused way too often in a topic dicussion like this. As said in a recent page we're talking three orders of magnitude between these two terms.

But for everyone again..

1 micro-sievert = 0.000001 Sievert

1 milli-sievert = 0.001 Sievert OR 1000 micro-sievert

Where is the micro symbol on the keyboard?

--

Odd....so it's steam and burning debris yet radiation levels are pretty high.

Where is the micro symbol on the keyboard?

--

Odd....so it's steam and burning debris yet radiation levels are pretty high.

Hmm, well I use a mac laptop and its option+m on this. Not quite sure bout windows laptops and keyboards, but a quick google search showed Right-Alt + m.

Actually, according to the chart posted in the previous page, 1,600 times the normal 10 µSv background dose received by a person during a normal day would equate to 16,000 µSv or 16 mSv.

And it only takes a yearly dose of 100 mSv to see an increased risk of cancer. Extrapolating this down to the day, this would yield 0.28 mSv (100 mSv / 360), or 280 µSv.

So, the radiation levels 20 km away from the plants is 57 times higher than the limit of an increased cancer risk. (16 mSv / 0.28 mSv)

Some updates on the smoke:

NEWS ADVISORY: Smoke from Fukushima plant's No. 3 reactor likely from burning debris: defense chief

NEWS ADVISORY: Smoke from Fukushima plant's No. 2 reactor is steam: defense chief

If debris is burning doesn't that mean a fire is going on somewhere in reactor 3?? That doesn't seem like very good news to me..

If debris is burning doesn't that mean a fire is going on somewhere in reactor 3?? That doesn't seem like very good news to me..

No they are definitely having a bad day. At least the winds should be moving offshore sometime today or tonight and are forecast to stay that way throughout the week.

A bit old but one of the better sites when it comes to updating the current progress at the nuclear plant. Haven't seen anything recently that confirms the workers are back on site. Latest image still show plenty of steam/smoke coming from the plant.

http://nei.org/newsa...in-that-region/

Japan’s NHK broadcasting network reported that Tokyo Electric Power Co. confirmed that the March 11 earthquake and tsunami were beyond the Fukushima Daiichi plant’s design standards.

TEPCO believes the tsunami that inundated the Fukushima Daiichi site was 14 meters high, the network said. The design basis tsunami for the site was 5.7 meters, and the reactors and backup power sources were located 10 to 13 meters above sea level. The company reported that the maximum earthquake for which the Fukushima Daiichi plants were designed was magnitude 8. The quake that struck March 11 was magnitude 9.

Smoke seen from Fukushima Daiichi reactor 3 on Monday subsided after about two hours. Water pressure and levels at the reactor were unchanged through the episode, as were radiation levels, the company said.

The site was temporarily cleared of workers after smoke rose from at the secondary containment buildings that house reactors 2 and 3. The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said the smoke from reactor 2 caused radiation levels downwind to rise for about three and a half hours.

TEPCO continues work to reconnect external power to all six reactors. Connections were made to the distribution line at reactor 1 and 2, and components and circuits at those reactors are being checked. Similar power connections have been made to reactors 5 and 6 and a diesel generator is providing power to a cooling pump for the used fuel pools. Power cable is being laid to reactor 4, and power is expected to be restored to reactors 3 and 4 by Tuesday.

Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano announced that Prime Minister Kan has ordered the governors of four prefectures near Fukushima to restrict the shipment of spinach and “kakina,” another leafy vegetable. The shipment of milk from Fukushima prefectures was also restricted. Edano said the order was a precautionary emergency measure.

Archived