12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Japan Nuclear Crisis Part III

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, there was this post... ;)

Yes....you are correct. I meant millisieverts. I'm the dope that posted the 500 millisievert levels in the first place. My chemistry professor would be disappointed. lol

I'm running on 3 hours sleep every day and I don't proof read my posts once I get tired. :thumbsdown:

With that said...you guys are a tough group. Can't make an errors without getting called out. esshhh

Neutron beam observed 13 times at crippled Fukushima nuke plant

TOKYO, March 23, Kyodo

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Wednesday it has observed a neutron beam, a kind of radioactive ray, 13 times on the premises of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant after it was crippled by the massive March 11 quake-tsunami disaster.

TEPCO, the operator of the nuclear plant, said the neutron beam measured about 1.5 kilometers southwest of the plant's No. 1 and 2 reactors over three days from March 13 and is equivalent to 0.01 to 0.02 microsieverts per hour and that this is not a dangerous level.

The utility firm said it will measure uranium and plutonium, which could emit a neutron beam, as well.

In the 1999 criticality accident at a nuclear fuel processing plant run by JCO Co. in Tokaimura, Ibaraki Prefecture, uranium broke apart continually in nuclear fission, causing a massive amount of neutron beams.

In the latest case at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, such a criticality accident has yet to happen.

But the measured neutron beam may be evidence that uranium and plutonium leaked from the plant's nuclear reactors and spent nuclear fuels have discharged a small amount of neutron beams through nuclear fission.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/80539.html

It's disappointing that more forward progress can't be achieved, although they have had some successes. I know they are trying really hard, and as such, some of the folks will end up losing there life in the future due to poisoning. The greater risk now is the general interpretation of what's contaminated. To me, it does not matter as much to what the officials say as to what the public thinks. The longer this continues, the more trashing of the area and food sources which leads to more skepticism among the public.

This is tough to overcome, not impossible, but this will be a generational story for the ages. I hope they move forward this week.

The greater risk now is the general interpretation of what's contaminated. To me, it does not matter as much to what the officials say as to what the public thinks. The longer this continues, the more trashing of the area and food sources which leads to more skepticism among the public.

This is tough to overcome, not impossible, but this will be a generational story for the ages. I hope they move forward this week.

If I understand you right, you're saying the perception that there is radiation is worse than the radiation. Trouble is, the poison keeps accumulating. No end in sight. If I were in Tokyo, where they've already said infants shouldn't drink the tap water, I'd be looking to get out. If no commercial flights were available, I'd break out my MasterCard and charter a Lear Jet. That's my "general interpretation."

If I understand you right, you're saying the perception that there is radiation is worse than the radiation. Trouble is, the poison keeps accumulating. No end in sight. If I were in Tokyo, where they've already said infants shouldn't drink the tap water, I'd be looking to get out. If no commercial flights were available, I'd break out my MasterCard and charter a Lear Jet. That's my "general interpretation."

To a degree, yes. I think that if this was a 2-4 day event in which radiation was sent across the countryside (in low levels) then stopped, I believe the public preception would be quite different.

The longer this event lasts, the worse the interpretation is among the public regardless what the officials say.

According to Reuters, levels of 500 millisieverts were records at reactor 2. That IS a high level assuming they got their units right. Unclear as to the time of that reading though. One good this is a heard on NPR yesterday that most of the significant radiation is from isotopes with short half-lives, meaning once they are able to stop radiation emission into the environment the levels in the current exclusion zone should drop to safe levels within a few weeks.

To a degree, yes. I think that if this was a 2-4 day event in which radiation was sent across the countryside (in low levels) then stopped, I believe the public preception would be quite different.

The longer this event lasts, the worse the interpretation is among the public regardless what the officials say.

I disagree. Radiation levels are at their highest levels "right now".

Japanese authorities have detected a concentration of a radioactive substance 1,600 times higher than normal in soil at a village, 40 kilometers away from the troubled nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture.

The disaster task force in Fukushima composed of the central and local governments surveyed radioactive substances in soil about 5 centimeters below the surface at 6 locations around the plant from last Friday through Tuesday.

The results announced on Wednesday show that 163,000 becquerels of radioactive cesium-137 per kilogram of soil has been detected in Iitate Village, about 40 kilometers northwest of the plant.

Gakushuin University Professor Yasuyuki Muramatsu, an expert on radiation in the environment, says that normal levels of radioactive cesium-137 in soil are around 100 becquerels at most. The professor says he was surprised at the extremely high reading, which is 1,630 times higher than normal levels.

He warns that since radioactive cesium remains in the environment for about 30 years it could affect agricultural products for a long time. He is calling on the government to collect detailed data and come up with ways to deal with the situation.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 19:02 +0900 (JST)

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/23_28.html

Corrected: Radiation at 500 microsieverts/hr at Japan

(Agency corrects radiation level to 500 microsieverts per hour, not millisieverts. Corrects to show level was recorded on March 18, not Wednesday; and removes reference to highest level of radiation since crisis began.) TOKYO (Reuters) - Radiation at the crippled Fukushima No.2 nuclear reactor was recorded at 500 microsieverts per hour on March 18, Japan's nuclear safety agency said on Wednesday.

Engineers have been trying to fix the plant's cooling system after restoring lighting on Tuesday.

(Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka)

Yeah....time to go if I heard this living in Japan

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano says computer forecasts show that radiation leaking from a nuclear plant could pose a hazard to people outside its 30-kilometer zone.

Edano said at a news conference on Wednesday that a computer forecast system has shown that radiation levels in some areas outside the 30-kilometer zone would exceed 100 millisieverts, which is the level that could affect the human thyroid if a person is exposed to it outdoors for 24 hours.

Edano cited a lack of data and the need for more precise calculations, and said there is no need for immediate evacuation or to seek shelter indoors.

http://filamimage.com/blog/2011/03/23/nhk-japan-radiation-could-affect-people-outside-30km-zone/

Yes, the one that is partially uranium and plutonium. Someone suggested it was from an oil fire. I have my doubts.

But the spike was from reactor 2 if I understand correctly. The report about the Cesium-137 is discouraging, suggests at a minimum some land will be unusable for agriculture for a significant period of time.

EDIT: I see that the units were corrected.

Corrected: Radiation at 500 microsieverts/hr at Japan

(Agency corrects radiation level to 500 microsieverts per hour, not millisieverts. Corrects to show level was recorded on March 18, not Wednesday; and removes reference to highest level of radiation since crisis began.) TOKYO (Reuters) - Radiation at the crippled Fukushima No.2 nuclear reactor was recorded at 500 microsieverts per hour on March 18, Japan's nuclear safety agency said on Wednesday.

Engineers have been trying to fix the plant's cooling system after restoring lighting on Tuesday.

(Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka)

That makes no sense. Edano said some places outside 30km can go above 100 millisieverts. That doesn't mesh with what you found. grrrrrrr

Yeah....time to go if I heard this living in Japan

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano says computer forecasts show that radiation leaking from a nuclear plant could pose a hazard to people outside its 30-kilometer zone.

Edano said at a news conference on Wednesday that a computer forecast system has shown that radiation levels in some areas outside the 30-kilometer zone would exceed 100 millisieverts, which is the level that could affect the human thyroid if a person is exposed to it outdoors for 24 hours.

Edano cited a lack of data and the need for more precise calculations, and said there is no need for immediate evacuation or to seek shelter indoors.

http://filamimage.co...side-30km-zone/

alarming....

Now I thought american resources were in the region and in particular assisting with fallout mapping. If true....they know what is happening.....they know what is in the air....where to sample on the ground based on wx forecasting....you simply just do not go to some small town 30km from the reactors and day lets test the soil.

Archived