joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/23-3/24 threat OBS

LVblizzard

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checked 00Z NAM Bufkit for New Brunswick. 2m temperatures are in the low-to-mid-30s and 0.67" QPF falls as snow (a little IP mixed in) although it is forecastin to accumulate to a total of 5.0". Seems marginal but just barely doable.

The 0C isotherm hovers around 500 feet before crashing to entirely below freezing by 03Z Wednesday.

HPC

ALTHOUGH THE NAM HAS TRENDED SOUTHWARD/WEAKER ALOFT OVER ITS PASTDAY OF RUNS...ITS SURFACE LOW HAS TRENDED NORTHWARD/STRONGERACROSS THE MIDWEST YET RETAINS GOOD CONTINUITY FROM INDIANAEASTWARD. THE ECMWF HAS SHOWN REASONABLE CONTINUITY WITH THISSYSTEM OVER ITS PAST COUPLE DAYS OF RUNS. WHEN COMPARING THEGUIDANCE...BY LATE WEDNESDAY AND EARLY THURSDAY THE 18Z GFS ANDRELATED 18Z GEFS MEMBERS LIE ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE OVERALLDETERMINISTIC/ENSEMBLE DISTRIBUTION. SINCE THERE IS NO TREND INTHIS DIRECTION...WILL FAVOR A COMPROMISE OF THE NON-18ZGFS/NON-18Z GEFS MEAN GUIDANCE HERE WHICH IS IN VERY GOODAGREEMENT AND IS PART OF THE LARGER CONSENSUS.

GFS and EC surface temps are pretty warm (at least around TTN)... would be mostly rain with perhaps a period of mixing/wet snow which might accumulate a small amount. Not impressed by the NAM as its all by itself.

GFS by far has the most northern track, though - EC temps can be a bit warm. I think we can see a couple inches, but I'm most interested in down the road a bit.

FWIW, NWS is riding the NAM hardcore. Can't even say they're riding the Euro since the Euro is not as cold as the NAM and is (at least in terms of surface profile) closer to the GFS than the NAM.

For reference from our AFD...

FOR THE UPCOMING WINTER WEATHER EVENT...THE NAM/ECMWF MODEL SUITE

WAS CHOSEN FOR THE TEMPLATE. THE GFS HAS BEEN TOO WARM/TOO FAST FOR

A FEW DAYS NOW.

Both the NMM and ARW want to keep this an all-snow event through 48 hrs, with the NMM colder (as to be expected).

Notice on both of them, however, that between 30 and 33 the 850mb temps crash south. On the ARW, watch the sim radar dry up between 33 and 36. I think this really indicates the potential for dry air and evap cooling to screw things up in some way or another.

That said, 38.9°/38 here right now, lol.

The NMM prints out 0.75"-1.50" while the ARW is generally around 0.25" :axe:

Definetely an interesting 24-48 hours on tap. From what I gather, most models give eastern PA (north of the PA Turnpike) a few slushy inches overnight into tomorrow morning. If precip. and cold air lingers longer, especially farther north across eastern PA, higher totals could occur. The NAM is just crazy, if that ever ended being right, Wow!

Definetely an interesting 24-48 hours on tap. From what I gather, most models give eastern PA (north of the PA Turnpike) a few slushy inches overnight into tomorrow morning. If precip. and cold air lingers longer, especially farther north across eastern PA, higher totals could occur. The NAM is just crazy, if that ever ended being right, Wow!

That sounds about right. South of the turnpike could start as sleet tomorrow then quickly changeover to rain. It'll be interesting to see where the southern extent of the accumulating snow sets up. Looks something like a TTN-DYL-RDG line.

That sounds about right. South of the turnpike could start as sleet tomorrow then quickly changeover to rain. It'll be interesting to see where the southern extent of the accumulating snow sets up. Looks something like a TTN-DYL-RDG line.

I would think, for the snow lovers across southeastern PA, the arrival time of the precipitation lends additional hope to a period of snow (atleast a small amount) accumulating before the sun comes up through the clouds tomorrow. Maybe the colder air holds out just long enough near or just south of the Turnpike as well. As usual, it wlll be a close call.

For reference from our AFD...

FOR THE UPCOMING WINTER WEATHER EVENT...THE NAM/ECMWF MODEL SUITE

WAS CHOSEN FOR THE TEMPLATE. THE GFS HAS BEEN TOO WARM/TOO FAST FOR

A FEW DAYS NOW.

I don't mean to pick nits with the NWS but I guess I don't get where the Euro is in line with the NAM at the surface or at 850...it's certainly quite a bit warmer than the NAM at both the surface and aloft and at best a compromise at 850 between the GFS and NAM. Just my humble opinion. I don't necessarily agree that the Euro is completely in the colder camp based on what it's showing.

The NAM may very well be right in this but I don't think including the Euro is really that accurate since the Euro doesn't show, IMO, the same or similar solution.

FWIW, from the NWS (Tony)

JUST WANTED TO ADD A QUICK AND DIRTY VERIFICATION OF WHICH MODEL

IS HANDLING OUR UPCOMING SYSTEM THE BEST THROUGH ITS 12HR

FORECAST. OVERALL ITS THE ECMWF. THE NAM'S SFC LOW FCST POSN IS TOO

FAR SOUTH AND ITS TOO COLD, IT HAS INFERRED FREEZING RAIN AS A

PTYPE WHERE TEMPERATURES ARE IN THE MID 30S IN SOUTH DAKOTA.

CONVERSELY THE GFS HAD A DECENT PTYPE AND SFC LOW VERIFICATION,

BUT ITS QPF AXIS VERIFIED TOO FAR TO THE SW IN THE OH VALLEY. BOTH

CANADIAN MODELS PUT THE SFC LOW TOO DEEP INTO THE COLD AIR. WE'LL SEE

HOW THE MODELS INITIALIZE OFF THE 12Z SOUNDINGS.

It looks like the NAM is finally "warming up" to the idea of mainly rain in Philly

(Sorry I couldn't resist the pun)

Besides a little bit of sleet at the onset, this is over for people south of 202. Higher elevations will probably still cash in though. I could see parts of Chester County getting 4 or 5 inches of snow while Philly sees a Trace.

NAM still has a burst of snow at the end for all in PA (and yes Ray, TTN too)

Comapre 00z hr 54 to 12z hr 42, look at the northern expanse of precip just disappear. Cue wining from PSUHazleton

The 850mb frz line shifted a good deal north, however, which is probably an accurate trend since it's closer to what the globals have been shwoing for some time now.

Archived