• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/23-3/24 threat OBS

LVblizzard

If this was November, going into December the buzz would be bigger. Most of us in eastern PA are sick of winter weather, and would rather it not happen at all. Also the best potential snows are aimed north of the PA Turnpike, out of many posters backyards in this region.

If, I lived in NE PA though, it would definetely have my attention more (whether I was pro-snow or no-snow), but where I'm at, after the warmth of last week.....I'd rather fast-forward through these next 2 weeks and hope for ridging over the Southeast to reestablish itself in early April.

I think those of you in NE PA and north Jersey could have quite a snowy mess to deal with Wed-Thur.

NAM looks like a few inches of snow for us, while the GFS just has it start as a little snow. There may be a compromise between the two? I think we get one more, possibly better chance, next week - and then it will finally be warmer to stay. I admit I liked the 80-degree day. I'm just never one to pass up snow, especially since Feb. was pretty snowless. I had a good break.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

1229 PM EDT MON MAR 21 2011

VALID MAR 21/1200 UTC THRU MAR 25/0000 UTC

...SEE NOUS42 KWNO ADMNFD FOR THE STATUS OF THE UPPER AIR

INGEST...

12Z NAM AND GFS EVALUATION...

INITIALIZATION ERRORS...THE 12Z NAM IS SIGNIFICANTLY

UNDERFORECASTING WIND SPEEDS AT THE 500 MB LEVEL OVER THE CENTRAL

ROCKIES. THERE ARE NO SIGNIFICANT ERRORS IN THE 12Z GFS.

SYSTEM PUSHING THROUGH THE NORTHEAST MONDAY NIGHT...

PREFERENCE: 12Z GFS/00Z ECMWF COMPROMISE

THE 12Z NAM AND 00Z ECMWF ARE SLIGHTLY SLOWER THAN MOST OTHER

GUIDANCE THROUGH DAY 1 OVER THE NORTHEASTERN FORECAST AREA. AT THE

SURFACE THE 12Z NAM MAIN SURFACE LOW IS SITUATED SOUTHEAST OF THE

LOW DEPICTED BY MOST OTHER OPERATIONAL GUIDANCE. THE 06Z GFS HAS A

DEEPER LOW THAN MOST OTHER GUIDANCE...BUT THE 00Z UKMET AND CMC

AGREE WITH ITS POSITION. THE ENSEMBLE MEANS TAKE UP MIDDLE GROUND

BETWEEN THE TWO LOW TRACKS. THE 12Z GFS HAS TRENDED TOWARDS THE

SLOWER LESS AMPLIFIED UPPER-LEVEL SOLUTIONS. AT THE SURFACE THE

12Z GFS LOW POSITION HAS SHIFTED FURTHER SOUTH TOWARDS MODEL

CONSENSUS.

SYSTEM MOVING THROUGH THE WEST/PLAINS/NORTHEAST MID-WEEK...

PREFERENCE: 12Z GFS/00Z ECMWF COMPROMISE

THE 00Z UKMET AND CMC ARE BOTH NORTHERN SOLUTIONS WITH THE

HANDLING OF THIS SYSTEM AT THE SURFACE. THE ECMWF AND 12Z NAM ARE

SIMILAR THROUGH F24 TUESDAY MORNING. AFTER THIS POINT THE ECMWF

SURFACE LOW POSITION OVER THE CENTRAL PLAINS SHIFTS NORTH EAST OF

THE NAM...BECOMING ONE OF THE MORE PROGRESSIVE SOLUTIONS. THE 06Z

GFS LANDS BETWEEN THESE TWO OPERATIONAL CAMPS. AT THE UPPER LEVELS

THE ENSEMBLE MEANS SUGGEST A SLOWER EASTWARD PROGRESSION THAN THAT

EXHIBITED BY THE OPERATIONAL MODELS. THE 12Z GFS HAS RETAINED

CONTINUITY FROM ITS PREVIOUS RUN WITH THE HANDLING OF THIS SYSTEM

AT BOTH THE SURFACE AND ALOFT. A COMPROMISE BETWEEN THE GFS AND

ECMWF SHOULD RESULT IN REASONABLE LOW PLACEMENT AND DEPTH.

NAM looks like a few inches of snow for us, while the GFS just has it start as a little snow. There may be a compromise between the two? I think we get one more, possibly better chance, next week - and then it will finally be warmer to stay. I admit I liked the 80-degree day. I'm just never one to pass up snow, especially since Feb. was pretty snowless. I had a good break.

I can't pass up snow either, after watching NJ east get nailed with the two big ones and getting 1-3" amounts.

I hear ya, I think we could end up with a few slushy inches for sure.......its not the end of the world if it happens, deep down I'm a snow lover, but to put things in perspective, if this snow happens to fall overnight, unlike any other storm the past few months, I will not be staying up to watch it or take measurements. I'm passed that point.

With that said, it could be interesting waking up Wed. morning in our neck of the woods.

January pretty much was 600% of normal...it more than made up for February. The snowstarved are never happy though. :P

The areas that may get snowfall, will have accumulation issues during the 9am and 7pm time frame. The solar radiation snow killer. gun_bandana.gif Anyone know the timing of this potential event?

Best chance of snow (at least further south) is earlier than that...

January pretty much was 600% of normal...it more than made up for February. The snowstarved are never happy though. :P

Yeah I wish we just ended winter already... it sucked here. I'm probably gonna start working on the archive in a week or two to get a head start, so that it doesn't drag all the way through summer into fall like last year :arrowhead:

The NAM says we cool off more on the back end than the front, with 2m temps at KPHL falling to 32.8 at 72 and the column completely cold. 0.29" would theoretically fall as SN.

2m temps drop to 32.2 at TTN, and are below 32.8 for the bulk of the precip (0.95") but with a warm layer changing everything over to IP at 60 and 66.

Of course as HPC said the NAM is not performing too well right now, and really messed up this Morning (I was not expecting to drive into school in heavy sleet this AM). Maybe a little bit of icy stuff Wed morning, and a little bit more Wed night?

The NAM says we cool off more on the back end than the front, with 2m temps at KPHL falling to 32.8 at 72 and the column completely cold. 0.29" would theoretically fall as SN.

2m temps drop to 32.2 at TTN, and are below 32.8 for the bulk of the precip (0.95") but with a warm layer changing everything over to IP at 60 and 66.

Of course as HPC said the NAM is not performing too well right now, and really messed up this Morning (I was not expecting to drive into school in heavy sleet this AM). Maybe a little bit of icy stuff Wed morning, and a little bit more Wed night?

I put a lot less stock into HPC discussions after what happened on 12/26. I would rather read Tony's analysis from PHI.

Looks like the 12 Z ECM would support a snow event in ABE area

WED 12Z 23-MAR 0.6 -3.3 1014 85 98 0.13 555 544

WED 18Z 23-MAR 1.5 -2.8 1008 87 98 0.14 553 546

THU 00Z 24-MAR 0.7 -0.7 1004 96 83 0.14 548 544

THU 06Z 24-MAR 0.4 -1.2 1000 96 41 0.04 540 540

THU 12Z 24-MAR 0.1 -3.7 1002 93 70 0.03 536 535

Its somewhat light on the QPF compared to the rest of the guidance but the ECM was too light on the QPF for what just came thru overnight. ECM can have some what of a dry bias.

It appears as though the GFS is the only model that is warmer and further north now...

Can you run the AVP numbers?

WED 12Z 23-MAR -1.0 -4.1 1014 79 97 0.11 553 542

WED 18Z 23-MAR 0.4 -4.2 1008 81 97 0.14 551 544

THU 00Z 24-MAR -0.7 -3.3 1005 94 81 0.17 546 542

THU 06Z 24-MAR -1.2 -3.7 1001 95 50 0.05 539 538

THU 12Z 24-MAR -1.8 -5.7 1003 91 78 0.04 535 533

THU 18Z 24-MAR 1.9 -7.4 1006 64 71 0.02 537 533

Looks like the 12 Z ECM would support a snow event in ABE area

WED 12Z 23-MAR 0.6 -3.3 1014 85 98 0.13 555 544

WED 18Z 23-MAR 1.5 -2.8 1008 87 98 0.14 553 546

THU 00Z 24-MAR 0.7 -0.7 1004 96 83 0.14 548 544

THU 06Z 24-MAR 0.4 -1.2 1000 96 41 0.04 540 540

THU 12Z 24-MAR 0.1 -3.7 1002 93 70 0.03 536 535

Its somewhat light on the QPF compared to the rest of the guidance but the ECM was too light on the QPF for what just came thru overnight. ECM can have some what of a dry bias.

It appears as though the GFS is the only model that is warmer and further north now...

do you have the 700mb soundings, thats the area of problem with this storm.

Is it true that there may be another winter storm for this weekend?

ECM has a storm that skirts south but brings moderate QPF into PHL and southern PA..and it looks like it could be in the frozen form...GFS shows something as well at 12 Z ..they are pretty similar just GFS is more north with the QPF

imho, the sunday storm has a much better shot at producing snow than tomorrows storm if its modeled correctly.

the GFS, ECM and GGEM evolutions are actually strikingly similar for 6 days out.

12z GGEM extrapolated would probably be snowy for us

post-1820-0-41525200-1300754139.gif

In fact it's eerie how identical the 18z GFS is for the same hour:

post-1820-0-24793600-1300755061.gif

Feel free to add some pics from the Euro.

Everyone asleep over here? Latest NAM is showing a major snowstorm for the Philly area on Wednesday and all I hear is...crickets. Surprising. Not saying the NAM is right, but the NYC thread is jumping, so surprised it's so quiet over here. Being in Central Jersey, I generally look at both metro area boards - going to be an interesting week or so coming up - just hope we can get in on some good snow before we really hit spring....

Everyone asleep over here? Latest NAM is showing a major snowstorm for the Philly area on Wednesday and all I hear is...crickets. Surprising. Not saying the NAM is right, but the NYC thread is jumping, so surprised it's so quiet over here. Being in Central Jersey, I generally look at both metro area boards - going to be an interesting week or so coming up - just hope we can get in on some good snow before we really hit spring....

Very rough estimation of all snow PHL north (BUFKIT will reveal more):

nam_p60_066l.gif

I wonder how the other 0z models respond tonight.

Per 0z NAM at KPHL, If we ignore sfc temps (not advised) then it's 0.41" SN, 0.55" IP, then 0.25" SN again. However, of that 0.55" IP, 0.45" falls in 3 hours with the max column temp of +0.3, so that could end up being more SN than IP if this were to verify.

2m temps don't go below freezing until hr 54 (technically 32.2) though, so not all of that would accumulate

Archived