e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
3/23 - 3/24 Winter Storm

NEG NAO

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guys stop bickering about how much is going to fall, who's being a weenie, etc. Its getting old.

On a side note and to change to subject...what I would pay to have this 500mb set-up in the heart of winter...

It's OK...we will still get a MECS out of it in late March thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Think positive....we have a beautiful west-based NAO block, 50/50 low well anchored, -12C 850s. We are in the game for a storm Sunday or perhaps the bigger coastal that the 12z ECM shows at 174 hours, which eventually bombs to 972mb off of New Jersey, but too far offshore for us verbatim. Plenty of time to work on these two threats. I'm very enthusiastic about us getting a warning-criteria snowfall tomorrow and then another snowfall on 3/27 or 3/30-31.

The way I see it, for coastal sections and NYC is that tomorrow during the day, it will snow and only slushy accumulations will occur.

And then as sun lowers, and 2nd part of storm comes in, from developing coastal, thats when coastal areas might get a couple of inches of actual accumlations.

Accu snow maps and Raleigh snow maps both have 6"+ of accumulation into NYC. North and West, close to a foot.

Upton has the right idea with these systems IMO - no accumulation NYC metro tomorrow and a miss Sunday.....

This is definitely a grass and cars event until/unless the heavy snow occurs overnight. The NAM has been too cold with surface temperatures and there is no denying that. Increasing them by a few degrees would be smart in this scenario.

I still like 1-3" in the city and surrounding areas, and 3-6" in higher elevations. It will take a lot to convince me that anybody is going to get 7-14" out of this event.

This is definitely a grass and cars event until/unless the heavy snow occurs overnight. The NAM has been too cold with surface temperatures and there is no denying that. Increasing them by a few degrees would be smart in this scenario.

I still like 1-3" in the city and surrounding areas, and 3-6" in higher elevations. It will take a lot to convince me that anybody is going to get 7-14" out of this event.

This seems to be the most reasonable approach.

agree for the most part, but I was shocked the other day how quickly things started to accumulate in a much more marginal setup. Additionally, the best part of this storm will be at night, so not sure how much loss we suffer on actual accumulations. With an 850 low position of the NAM/UKMET/GGEM tomorrow night, its going to fall and stick everywhere except maybe downtown Manhattan.

Upton has the right idea with these systems IMO - no accumulation NYC metro tomorrow and a miss Sunday.....

Upton is calling for 3"-4" in my part of Queens. But either way, if the 2nd part of the system occurs at night, like NAM, UKIE, ARW, NMM, EURO and GGEM have showing, the coast will accumulate.

Ok we get the point. Why don't you drive out there and cheer them on? Anyway I think the city will get 2-4 primarily for the second batch once the sun goes down, really depends on how much precip there is after dark.

Agree for the most part. However, as Trials posted, if that 2nd part comes in as robust as nam, euro, ukie, ggem, arw, nmm, mm5 have it, NYC will see more then that. Especially, that its to occur late evening into the overnight hours.

I hope your right, snow this time of year would be a disaster. Not only that but it would probably last a long time which is really depressing in the springtime. Were just over one week away from April, hopefully this pattern will break soon.

Pretty good call by Upton as of now... ( 5-9")

Wednesday: Snow, mainly after 8am. High near 35. East wind between 3 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Snow, freezing rain, and sleet, becoming all snow after 2am. Low around 26. East wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow and sleet accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Ryan (CT RAIN) pointed out the afd from okx, some interesting points to ponder, on why accumulations might be held down and its not sun angles or bl temps, but minimal moisture possibly in the snow growth region and mid level drying, just something to think about.

Guest Pamela

Those on the N. Shore of Long Island hearing Upton's current forecast of approximately one inch of snow there over the next 48 hours in for quite a surprise, IMO....

Alot of people are going to be in for quite the suprise in NE NJ IMO. The NAM may be too cold John but it has some support from other models. Am I not allowed to revise my forecasted totals? Im going with 4-8" now 20 miles west of NYC and 7-10 for Western Passaic and Orange counties in the highest elevations. For the last time 7-14" was a first call. Would not be shocked to see my first call verify.

This is tough. The euro doesnt bring us much precip at all after 7PM tomorrow, while the nam/ukmet get us pretty good still...thats when we can do the most damage obviously..Im not sure what the city can do during the day tomorrow...these storms are soooo difficult, it will all depend on precip intensity. I would not be surprised if we saw a scenario like april 2003 unfold here tomorrow,. but i have little confidence at all here. I like the 1-3, though i think the higher elevations in nw Jers and Orange County, NY stand a chance at 8" all together

Archived