joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/21 snow to rain for NYC and LI

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a late start this morning, so I drove in from Metuchen to Rahway from about 8:20 to 8:40 am. Heavy rain had just changed to mixed heavy rain/snow around 8:00 am and by the time I left Metuchen it had dropped from about 37F to 34F, via dynamic cooling - was really cool to see the changeover with big, giant honking aggregated flakes over 1" in diameter. It didn't really accumulate, with temps above freezing and a lot of water on the ground and it being daylight, but I probably had a slushy coating of 1/16" on my car when I left. During the whole drive, 9 miles to the NE, it was mixed precip and it stayed heavy mixed precip until about 8:45 am, when the intensity let up a bit and it was all rain. Went to work and didn't look outside for hours after that. Still, was pretty cool just to see those huge flakes.

Earthlight - careful with the 80F comments or we might have to revoke your weenie license...

Thanks for the report! The NWS OKX post-storm snowfall totals have absolutely no reports from LI (as well as Westchester and Rockland counties), so reports like yours are valuable.

1/2" this morning that melted by 2pm.

Also this past Friday, the last patch of naturally occurring snow in Stillwell Woods(NE Nassau), extending all the way back to Dec. 19, disappeared.

Archived