• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moving to Bluffton area of South Carolina lowcountry

Sunny and Warm

If anyone knows, what are the weather quirks in that area that I should know about. It seems from the new neighbors that the t-storms are spectacular in the summer as the seas breeze sets up either side of I95. Any other interesting weather tips??

Get ready to sweat this summer...a lot.

Don't think the winters are much to write home about,,,,,,,,but as Larry has shared over the last couple of winters, the area "Can" see some winter.

Get's pretty muggy during the summer months. Thunderstorms can be "exciting" but certainly beautiful watching them roll in across the salt marshes.

You'll be a stones throw from Beaufort and Sanvannah.

Gorgeous scenery. I don't know if there is anything more magical than looking out across the marsh at the May river.

I envy you. I do love winter weather and often find myself torn dreaming between a beach or mountain cottage. I love the mountains but I might just give the low country the nod. Especially since I'm a golfer. The dolphin are amazing down there as well. Very curious and friendly.

Look up Palmetto Bluff online and look at some of the pictures. Good Luck !!

Bluffton is a hot spot and that part of SC is often home to some of the highest dewpoints in the country...frquently in the upper 70s, but that just makes the summer boomers all the better. That is a great area for those high CAPE, no shear, sea breeze boomers that just sit and dump and and rumble like crazy. The storms are what make summers worth it around these parts. Well that and living a mile from the beach. :rolleyes:

dont listen to the NC basis here, I live on the SC coast, north end (Myrtle Beach) but summers are similar. Sea Breeze is a savior in the summer although im 2 miles from the ocean here so I get one almost daily. I rarely get above 90, even in July or August. Thunderstorms threaten almost daily in summer, yet its usually dry, if that makes sense. True its humid as all hell, but I got use to that, probably because I grew up in SC (Columbia) which is indeed hell on earth. There is some excitement in summer to with potential Tropical weather although in your area storms are very rare due to geography. Welcome to the SC coast, ENJOY your stay in the lovely lowcountry :sun:

dont listen to the NC basis here, I live on the SC coast, north end (Myrtle Beach) but summers are similar. Sea Breeze is a savior in the summer although im 2 miles from the ocean here so I get one almost daily. I rarely get above 90, even in July or August. Thunderstorms threaten almost daily in summer, yet its usually dry, if that makes sense. True its humid as all hell, but I got use to that, probably because I grew up in SC (Columbia) which is indeed hell on earth. There is some excitement in summer to with potential Tropical weather although in your area storms are very rare due to geography. Welcome to the SC coast, ENJOY your stay in the lovely lowcountry :sun:

Agreed on these points. Youll have the beach, some tropical action to keep you entertained and summer tstorms, not to mention the GREAT food here in the lowcountry. Youll get used to the heat, you will love it.

Im on the BB but I dont see where you are currently located Sunny and Warm. That will really determine how well you handle it.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm expecting three to four months of hell with heat, humidity, and mosquitos for the benefit of the occasional 60/70 in December and January. I'm currently in SE PA, so 3/4 months of hell in summer beats the five months of hell in winter and two months of hell in July/August that I currently experience. As for the mosquitos, I guess that's why they build Carolina rooms.

Don't think the winters are much to write home about,,,,,,,,but as Larry has shared over the last couple of winters, the area "Can" see some winter.

Get's pretty muggy during the summer months. Thunderstorms can be "exciting" but certainly beautiful watching them roll in across the salt marshes.

You'll be a stones throw from Beaufort and Sanvannah.

Gorgeous scenery. I don't know if there is anything more magical than looking out across the marsh at the May river.

I envy you. I do love winter weather and often find myself torn dreaming between a beach or mountain cottage. I love the mountains but I might just give the low country the nod. Especially since I'm a golfer. The dolphin are amazing down there as well. Very curious and friendly.

Look up Palmetto Bluff online and look at some of the pictures. Good Luck !!

I can see you know the area well. That's what led us to this "early" retirement. Just love the lowcountry. Our home is just off the Colleton River and Intra-coastal Waterway. Just gorgeous scenery. We toyed with a Poconos cottage in PA or a coastal property. We decided you can enjoy the ocean life longer, and as we get older, shoveling snow gets to be a drag. I love snowstorms, but there comes a time when it is no longer the best thing going. I agree about the dolphins. They'll hunt fish on the beaches on HHI.

The heat really isn't that bad... just drink lots of water. And the summer storms are nice.

Unfortunately, it still gets a little too cold during the winter.

I was down in January when we bought the home and it was 21F one day. Hell, if I want 21 in January, I can just stay here in PA. The difference is that it got to 55-60 in a few days. That doesn't happen in PA.

Bluffton is a hot spot and that part of SC is often home to some of the highest dewpoints in the country...frquently in the upper 70s, but that just makes the summer boomers all the better. That is a great area for those high CAPE, no shear, sea breeze boomers that just sit and dump and and rumble like crazy. The storms are what make summers worth it around these parts. Well that and living a mile from the beach.

Jaydog,

Are you a NWS met, or a TV met? Nice to know someone that knows the area. The residents around me said the storms are fantastic in the summer. They said it as a negative, not knowing that I thought it was a positive.

:P:angry::P:lol: I can't disagree with this statement....lol

So, I guess you are just an angel in the middle of Hell.

... and it really is Hell. When I get close to Columbia, I'm looking for the signs painted red that say, "Welcome to Hell." (like the Clint Eastwood movie)

It is fun to watch the car thermometer the closer you get to Columbia as it switches from "98" to "OMG".

So, I guess you are just an angel in the middle of Hell.

... and it really is Hell. When I get close to Columbia, I'm looking for the signs painted red that say, "Welcome to Hell." (like the Clint Eastwood movie)

:wub: It's all in the positioning of the horns that holds my halo straight :wub::lol:

One day I will find that portal Tony says is located near here, so I can send Mr Heat Miser back where he came from. :angry::gun_bandana::devilsmiley::banned::lol:

Joe......:lmao: :lmao:

Bluffton is a hot spot and that part of SC is often home to some of the highest dewpoints in the country...frquently in the upper 70s, but that just makes the summer boomers all the better. That is a great area for those high CAPE, no shear, sea breeze boomers that just sit and dump and and rumble like crazy. The storms are what make summers worth it around these parts. Well that and living a mile from the beach. :rolleyes:

My mother grew up in south Georgia and Hardeeville, SC (near Bluffton) with no air conditioning in either place :lmao:

TV met in Myrtle Beach and just love the low country...get there as often as I can. Welcome to the south!

Jaydog,

Are you a NWS met, or a TV met? Nice to know someone that knows the area. The residents around me said the storms are fantastic in the summer. They said it as a negative, not knowing that I thought it was a positive.

Ouch...those sea breezes are a summer saver! Although this early in the season they are a pain. Tough seeing it 70° just a few miles inland, but haze, sea fog, and 56° at the beaches!

Glad to know there are more of us TV Mets than I previously thought. Though I am new to the biz, it certainly is fun! Oh! I'm not looking forward to a summer in central Georgia.... I'm used to SOME sort of seabreeze.... I don't think I'll have that luxury the next few summers :(

WMBF

OT to the thread, but you guys have put together a good news/weather/sports department down there.

As for the OP, Bluffton is a nice area and I think traffic in the summer is a bigger pain than the weather. I personally enjoy the summer weather down there. But people who live down there say they live there for October-April.

Archived