• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England's Snowhole. 2010-2011 edition

HoarfrostHubb

The snow map this year should be interesting....though we still have quite a ways to go despite the pattern looking terrible through D8-10...especially for the CNE portion of my map and the interior hills.

Looks like CNE, NNE scores more snow from the SW flow event Thursday. Even may start as snow here.

Relative to the rest of SNE maybe the Cape? Although they had an above average year as well.

TBH I thought I would easily hit 100" after having 74" on Feb 2. Now on March 7 I have 84".

Places like Block Island and Newport, RI didn't do that well along with the Cape. I could see parts of the Outer Cape that didn't do well in the 12/19 storm being around average or slightly below...there was a lot of mixing in that storm further out.

Co-worker of mine who's a met and lives in Bristol RI said he has 37" iirc. That's gotta be a sick gradient between him and areas just nw of PVD.

Yeah NW RI got pounded in those January storms...that guy with the sledding course had obscene snowpack. Was it 1/12/11 that really pounded them or the 1/27 event?

Yeah NW RI got pounded in those January storms...that guy with the sledding course had obscene snowpack. Was it 1/12/11 that really pounded them or the 1/27 event?

Parts of nw RI got 20-21" during 1/12 and then got into the good banding during 1/27 with 15" or so.

hmm, interesting. So you average 70-72"? A little farther north and 400-500' higher?

Probably not quite that high...maybe about what the airport does (69")...I'm north of them by 3-4 miles but also a bit lower so it likely cancels out. Are you north of Rt 9?

Latitude on the order of a mile or 3 won't do much. But it will become noticeable once you get to the 8-10 mile mark.

Probably not quite that high...maybe about what the airport does (69")...I'm north of them by 3-4 miles but also a bit lower so it likely cancels out. Are you north of Rt 9?

Latitude on the order of a mile or 3 won't do much. But it will become noticeable once you get to the 8-10 mile mark.

Basically right on it. N of it by a mile or so.

Co-worker of mine who's a met and lives in Bristol RI said he has 37" iirc. That's gotta be a sick gradient between him and areas just nw of PVD.

Scott, is that 37 inch total he is quoting you an estimate or an actual figure??? I didn't measure every storm, but my educated estimate for the southern tip of Newport was 35 inches....And I'm at least 13 miles south of him...and with just about every event this winter the farther north one headed up Aquidneck Island snow depths increased rather substantially....My guess is Bristol had between 45-50+. Portsmouth, RI sits on the same island (Aquidneck) that Newport sits on...and is due South of Bristol by only a mile...and whenever I was in Portsmouth they had double the amount of snow Newport had.

The difference between The western Hills of RI and PVD is about 40 inches, also people need to understand PVD is in Warwick on the bay not Providence which got a lot more.

Mattfm always complains that PVD lowballs the snow totals and he's right. PVD can't measure snow for shi! but it's an easy and great airport to fly into and out of effortlessly. It's come a long way and grown up a lot since the mid-1990s.....but I'm a traditionalist who still misses Ned Martin and Ken Coleman and I kinda miss the Rhode Islandness of the old airport.

I guess I'm in a snow hole or maybe I'm just honest? Only 65" here this year with wild totals in nearby towns in all directions. To put it in better perspective 2010-11, if no more snow falls, will rank in 5th place out of 15 years of measuring here! The duration of 10" or more of snow otg does rival 2000-01 and 2002-03 though so this year does have that.

BTV is the major climate point up this way... they are currently at their 3rd snowiest winter on record (120 year period of record). It has been a solid winter up here, especially February and so far in March.

Not to mention the extremely chilly December...and the January 12th storm for areas south of BTV, which gave Middlebury a foot of snow!

Archived