• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
general march discussion

earthlight

Yup, that Tax Day storm was truly horrendous. What about Plainfield and Paramus? Where all the rivers meet? I heard they didnt crest until Sunday and were going to be above flood stage through Wednesday.

Passaic River at Little Falls is still at major flood stage and isn't expected to get below flood stage until Thursday. Passaic River at Pine Brook is still at moderate flood stage and isn't expected to drop below flood stage until tomorrow.

Passaic River basin got hit much harder by these recent events than the Raritan River basin did.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was the famous loop d loop storm. just to my NW they got 20", i had 15 , and over southern parts of the county, only 5-10" fell. Big range.

Ugh I only got 8 inches from that storm. :axe: I was stuck in a dryslot for hours and hours.

You've been totally screwed, I can't believe you haven't even made 50" one of these winters. My house here in Southern Westchester has 66" this winter, 68" last winter, and 45" in 08-09. That's a pretty big discrepancy considering you probably average close to 30"/season and I average like 38"/season. I didn't have huge totals from any of the big storms this year but managed to get over a foot in the three major events as well as 8" on 2/21. As for last year, I had 12.5" on 2/10, 6.5" on 2/16, and 26" on 2/25...total was 48" for February 2010. I had 8" in the 12/19/08 storm and 10" in 3/2/09, not as much as Long Island but still solid totals. I didn't realize there existed such an eternal screw-zone in NYC metro since it seems as if every area has had its turn to get hammered in the last few winters.

Yeah it's been really awful. Basically the real screwzone has been west-central NJ: the western half of Somerset county, all of Hunterdon county, and northern Mercer county. The worst of almost every storm has missed us to either the south, east, or north. 92.5 inches over the last two winters has still been very good, but when you put it in perspective and see how much less it is than many other places, it kind of sucks.

Yup, that Tax Day storm was truly horrendous. What about Plainfield and Paramus? Where all the rivers meet? I heard they didnt crest until Sunday and were going to be above flood stage through Wednesday.

It wasn't horrendous in Vermont where we had 5" on 4/16 with the mountains receiving over a foot. One of my favorite late season events besides the 4/27 snowstorm last year that dumped 3.5" on the Middlebury campus at 350' elevation.

Ugh, I only got 8 inches from that storm. :axe: I was stuck in a dryslot for hours and hours.

That was my biggest storm here with 26". Do you like any of these shots?

Damage was pretty extensive and weakened a lot of trees to later be felled in the 3/14 rainstorm, but luckily we didn't lose power. The 2/25 Snowicane was frankly one of the best moments of my life, especially when I realized we were going to stay all snow and get double the amount we received on 2/10, another storm I drove home from Middlebury for.

Yeah it's been really awful. Basically the real screwzone has been west-central NJ: the western half of Somerset county, all of Hunterdon county, and northern Mercer county. The worst of almost every storm has missed us to either the south, east, or north. 92.5 inches over the last two winters has still been very good, but when you put it in perspective and see how much less it is than many other places, it kind of sucks.

You would love a Feb 1983 repeat-- 22" in Philly 26" in Allentown, 30-35" in your part of NJ 22" at JFK.... hell how can you lose with a spread like that?

You would love a Feb 1983 repeat-- 22" in Philly 26" in Allentown, 30-35" in your part of NJ 22" at JFK.... hell how can you lose with a spread like that?

Yeah, you really can't lose with February 1983 Blizzard.

One of the best.

Feb 1983 had all the dynamics too, with nearly constant heavy snow and thunder snow.

That was my biggest storm here with 26". Do you like any of these shots?

Great shots, especially the third one. Wish I could've seen a storm like that.

Wow, 30-35'' over my area of NJ? Any official measurements in this area with those totals?

If there were one storm over the past 30 years that I could experience it would probably be that one, or January 1996. Unfortunately Feb. 1983 happened nine years before I was born and Jan. 1996 happened when I was only three and a half. We've had many storms over the past two winters, but none of them have had such widespread extremely heavy totals like those two had. Each of them has screwed at least one area in the I-95 corridor.

Yeah, you really can't lose with February 1983 Blizzard.

One of the best.

We only had 18.7" here so it wasn't quite as big of a hit as for NYC or NNJ, but still a good storm. 82-83 was a putrid winter overall...early December was ridiculously mild with the temperature reaching 71F on December 4th after it was nearly 80F in early November...another mild spell occurred in January 1983 with the mercury hitting 58F on January 11th along with a bunch of surrounding days in the upper 40s. The snow cover from the February Nor'easter was gone by February 27th, and only 31.2" fell the entire season. It's pretty amazing to have below average snowfall with a 18" event, but so it was in the crummy winter of 82-83, a strong El Niño that delivered one epic storm and then a ton of mildness the rest of the season.

82-83 is a bit reminiscent of 2005-06, when we had 20" in the Feb 2006 snowstorm but only 40" on the entire season. The major difference was that 05-06 did have a cold/snowy period in early-mid December whereas it was in the 60s and 70s during that period in 1982.

Great shots, especially the third one. Wish I could've seen a storm like that.

It was a tough decision to come home as I was in the middle of a very busy period at Middlebury College, but I hopped in the old Mazda at midnight in order to make the 4-hour drive back to Westchester. It was a mix of rain/snow when I arrived home at 4:30am; I awoke at 11am to the best radar I've ever seen with heavy snow falling outside the window. Here's a shot from the town golf course during 3"/hour snowfall rates:

The only disadvantage was that no snow cover remained from the 2/10 or 2/16 storms when the Snowicane struck. One aspect of this winter that was much more impressive was the long period of deep snow cover; we already had a bit over 12" on the ground when the 1/27 Nor'easter dumped 14" here. Here's a picture showing how insane it was during such a massive snowstorm falling on a beautiful snowpack:

2/21 wasn't bad here either with 8", although it was probably the season's final snowfall barring a surprise in late March or early April:

They do not make March(es) like 1958 anymore...

27.4" fell here in March 1958 after a very snowy February....Dobbs Ferry had 79.8" snowfall in Winter 57-58, the 3rd snowiest winter behind 95-96 (82") and 60-61 (90"). Snow cover was present for 13/31 days that March, with a maximum depth of 15" after the 3/21 storm. Temperatures weren't brutally cold, unlike parts of March 1960 and March 1967, but the cold was well-placed.

We have really been unlucky in March lately...Dobbs Ferry had like 2" last March and a trace so far this March. 11" fell in March 2009, but almost all the snowfall was from the 3/2 storm, and that would have been in February if the calendar weren't all screwy that time of year.

PA Turnpike near Morgantown, PA, which received 50" in the March 1958 storm (photo courtesy of NY Times):

Getting back to the HECS debate, a storm is historic when it's historic for just about everyone from DC to Boston. You don't have to have all major cities but 3 out of 4 is a good start. So many of the last few have been great for NYC or Philly but not both. Or DC but not NYC. Or NYC and Boston with Philly area getting shafted. I live 20 miles to the west of NYC and I was just inside the shaft line for Boxing Day. Five miles to my east got over 6" more snow.

With 96 and PDII, no matter which direction you went, you saw widespread 24" + totals. You had to go far away from this area to find the shaft zone.

March 2001 could have been the third HECS of my lifetime. Of course Northern New England got crused and from NYC south got the shaft. Feb 2010 I watched places like New Brunswick get over a foot of snow while I got nothing. We had a WSW for 8-12" of snow and all we ended up with was virga.

The calander year of 2010 however I feel was very historic. Never before have I seen so many bombs in one year. Starting off of course with Feb 5-6th and the rest of that month, leading into the bomb in March which was wet and then topping it off with Boxing Day. What a year.

Don't forget the last hurricane season as well, despite a low number of threats, we saw a large number of intense Hurricanes OTS and storms in general.

When is the last time we saw a forecast like this? PDII

SnowTotals-16Feb03.jpg

where is nzucker, march will rock

:drunk:

March has been brutal this year, actually worse than last year for snowfall, if that's remotely possible. I fully expected to see the blocking return for part of March as it did in the strong Niña winter of 55-56, but instead we've had a huge polar vortex sitting over Greenland chewing up all our cold air as well as an insufferable Pacific pattern with a consistent West Coast trough. Not a pretty picture so far, although there may be one last chance for a snowfall in the last few days of the month into early April as some mets believe a blocking pattern will take hold. The pattern this winter has been a snowier version of 75-76, which had a cold first half in the Northeast, aided by an MJO burst in January 1976 just as we saw this season, and then a much milder Feb/March with troughing shifting west, which has also happened this year.

It's time to face the facts, Winter is over. Any chance of snow is a pipedream at best and would be gone almost the next day. Time to move on to spring. I'm much more interested to see if this rainy period continues and what this years hurricane's season is going to bring. I would think our chances of a threat are fairly high considering the analogs being thrown around.

It's time to face the facts, Winter is over. Any chance of snow is a pipedream at best and would be gone almost the next day. Time to move on to spring. I'm much more interested to see if this rainy period continues and what this years hurricane's season is going to bring. I would think our chances of a threat are fairly high considering the analogs being thrown around.

It's time to head north to enjoy the snow Snowman.gif Still plenty left in VT and the 'Dacks.

Hurricane season is looking good...warmer than average waters near Cape Verde, Gulf of Mexico warming up fast due to the SE ridge, and La Niña still present but fading. One major factor that will make the difference is whether we see the Niña restrengthen this summer or whether the warmer subsurface waters take us towards a weak El Niño. Other than that, the SST anomalies and ENSO state suggest an active season may be on the horizon, though I don't claim to know much about tropical weather.

Hello everyone super stoked to join this board!!!

I am meteo freak to the max. I haven't missed a major storm on the beach since I was a kid in the late 80's early 90's

I currently live in Long Beach which is weather junkie heaven. Looking forward to hurricane season with you guys!!

And to my fellow Long Beach guys we are the least snowy town in NY State!!

Just got out of the water and the winds are already swinging SE ahead of this next GLC.

After we get another inch of rain, the pattern gets a lot drier and warmer on the 12z GFS. No more significant rain events, and the SE ridge is so persistent it will make storms cut well to our west. The PV visit by day 8-10 is likely overdone.

I am meteo freak to the max. I haven't missed a major storm on the beach since I was a kid in the late 80's early 90's

I currently live in Long Beach which is weather junkie heaven. Looking forward to hurricane season with you guys!!

Just got out of the water and the winds are already swinging SE ahead of this next GLC.

welcome to the board from a few miles to your west :thumbsup::scooter:

Welcome to the crew.

To officially welcome you, we must inform you that you have failed NZuckers elevation test. Since your elevation is less than 401 feet, your locations weather is of no relevance to his forecasting techniques.

Carry on.

Archived