Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
general march discussion

earthlight

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had 28.8 here, why wouldn't they have?

I know, and with parts of Union-Essex Coutny getting 30+ amounts from that blizz, NYC is clearly too low, one has to review those totals.... But it won't be reviewed at all.

Therefore, '96 is #1 for NYC. End of story.

Widespread 30+ in Union County, including Edison and my best friend's father claiming that 33" in Westfield from JAN 96, he measured about 32" from DEC 2010.

Amazing what a difference 15 miles can make. Here in Bridgewater I will remember Boxing Day 2010 as nothing more than an ordinary snowstorm (9 inches), and in fact I won't even really remember it in a good light because of how painful it was to see that band stop just to my east and to see totals so much higher than mine so close to my east.

January 26-27, 2011 was a WAY better storm for me; in fact it was my favorite storm out of the last two winters.

Yeah bridgewater has been getting the shortend of the stick since dec 19th 2008......have had very few jackpots and often miss bands in diff ways.........edison and holmdel def got pounded from boxing day...worse storm i ever plowed in and seen....truly amazing.

I know, and with parts of Union-Essex Coutny getting 30+ amounts from that blizz, NYC is clearly too low, one has to review those totals.... But it won't be reviewed at all.

Therefore, '96 is #1 for NYC. End of story.

No! Blizzard of 1888! :P and for the east coast as a whole Feb 1899 gets my vote :P

February 1899 is the king for Jersey, IMO.

Heavy 30 to 40" amounts from CAPE MAY TO ELIZABETH NJ.

I actually want to see the snowfall map for Feb 1920-- 17" of sleet in NYC with over 5 inches QPF..... just north of that sleet line there must have been an epic area of very heavy snow.....

Yeah bridgewater has been getting the shortend of the stick since dec 19th 2008......have had very few jackpots and often miss bands in diff ways.........edison and holmdel def got pounded from boxing day...worse storm i ever plowed in and seen....truly amazing.

Yep, which has really left a bad taste in my mouth, as good as both of the last two winters have been. It sucks when you always miss out on the heaviest bands and see so many other places around you get so much higher. The only two storms out of the last two winters that at least haven't jipped me and gave me totals similar to many other places around me were 2/10/10 and 1/26-27/11. With 12/19/09 and 2/5-6/10 the heaviest bands missed me to my south, with 2/25-26/10 I was stuck in a dryslot for most of the storm and had to watch places to my north get the really heavy amounts, and with 12/26/10 the heaviest bands missed me just to my east. 3/2/09 also screwed over this area with a dryslot, in fact. Amazing how we've gotten so jipped recently.

Hold on a second Zucker :P April 1997 was not widespread by any means.

I think April 1997 might be a HECS because of the extremely late-season nature of the storm. I had 6" here I believe from the Fool's Day Nor'easter, and most of SNE had 20"+. It's definitely the most questionable on the list, but I think when it occurred puts it over the hump, especially considering the contrast with 60F temperatures two days before and the generally mild character of that winter.

And actually neither was February 2006 (especially with the 16+ inch amounts.)

Some people in the DC/BWI suburbs got over 10" with Feb 2006, NYC had 26.7", West Hartford got 30"...I think that's definitely a HECS. It's not as big of a storm as 1/96 obviously but still makes the list.

Surprised no February 2010 in your book.

I don't think February 5th was a HECS because it was just a DC-BWI/ACY storm; New York City and Boston had zero snow from the event, and it was too far north to hit Richmond or anywhere further south down the I-95 corridor. Sure, some of the totals were huge, but it missed two of the biggest cities. The impact was intense but extremely limited. If you think 2/5 was a HECS, then how about February 1989? It hit SE VA and Cape Cod with 20" amounts and missed all the major cities. Does that count too since it slammed ORF and ACK?

February 10th was a borderline HECS....most of the DC/BWI suburbs saw near 20" with the storm, especially Northern Maryland, and it came just days after the 2/5 blizzard, pushing snow depths to record levels. I had 12.5" on 2/10, another storm I drove home from Vermont for, but totals were limited further north. Upon further consideration, it was probably a HECS given the mammoth totals in the DC/BWI metro and respectable amounts up to NYC. Again, not on the same level as 1/96 or 3/93, but a HECS.

February 25th was not a HECS...all of SNE saw rain, it didn't hit DC/BWI at all, and PHL only got a few inches. The storm was historic for NYC, especially the northern suburbs in Westchester/Putnam/Orange Counties where totals were in excess of 2', but it didn't have enough widespread accumulation to be a HECS.

Amazing what a difference 15 miles can make. Here in Bridgewater I will remember Boxing Day 2010 as nothing more than an ordinary snowstorm (9 inches), and in fact I won't even really remember it in a good light because of how painful it was to see that band stop just to my east and to see totals so much higher than mine so close to my east.

January 26-27, 2011 was a WAY better storm for me; in fact it was my favorite storm out of the last two winters.

I feel your pain. As I mentioned to zucker last night, we here in hunterdon county have been screwed a few times this winter. For the dec blizzard, I had 9" of snow, sim to what you had. Also, just like you, we rocked the 1/27 storm. Had 16.2".

The perfect Blizzard for New Jersey and NYC Metro?

December 26-27th 2010 with a cutoff flow at the 500 mb map, unlike December 2010's 'just" closed low.

oh Lordy....

I wish we could do a computer sim of the most extreme case scenario and you could bring it to the conference and we could live it like a realistic video game :P

I actually want to see the snowfall map for Feb 1920-- 17" of sleet in NYC with over 5 inches QPF..... just north of that sleet line there must have been an epic area of very heavy snow.....

I wonder how Westchester did in that storm? Does anyone know what White Plains recorded, as they may have had more snow than sleet? How about Poughkeepsie?

March 1914 was another good one for New Jersey and probably for Westchester as well...NYC may have dryslotted a bit since the track was pretty close to the coast and passed off Montauk Point, but it slammed the NW suburbs for sure. I don't have records that far back for Dobbs Ferry but wonder how much fell here, as the "Billy Sunday" snowstorm was a very intense one. Here is a map:

Yep, which has really left a bad taste in my mouth, as good as both of the last two winters have been. It sucks when you always miss out on the heaviest bands and see so many other places around you get so much higher. The only two storms out of the last two winters that at least haven't jipped me and gave me totals similar to many other places around me were 2/10/10 and 1/26-27/11. With 12/19/09 and 2/5-6/10 the heaviest bands missed me to my south, with 2/25-26/10 I was stuck in a dryslot for most of the storm and had to watch places to my north get the really heavy amounts, and with 12/26/10 the heaviest bands missed me just to my east. 3/2/09 also screwed over this area with a dryslot, in fact. Amazing how we've gotten so jipped recently.

I feel your pain. As I mentioned to zucker last night, we here in hunterdon county have been screwed a few times this winter. For the dec blizzard, I had 9" of snow, sim to what you had. Also, just like you, we rocked the 1/27 storm. Had 16.2".

When i was younger i envy both ur locations......the last few years not so much.....I have a friend that lives in asbury,nj Hunterdon county, they seem to do pretty well there...seems like on our advisory type events they really do well.....2-26-10 also pounded that county.

Amazing how we've gotten so jipped recently.

You've been totally screwed, I can't believe you haven't even made 50" one of these winters. My house here in Southern Westchester has 66" this winter, 68" last winter, and 45" in 08-09. That's a pretty big discrepancy considering you probably average close to 30"/season and I average like 38"/season. I didn't have huge totals from any of the big storms this year but managed to get over a foot in the three major events as well as 8" on 2/21. As for last year, I had 12.5" on 2/10, 6.5" on 2/16, and 26" on 2/25...total was 48" for February 2010. I had 8" in the 12/19/08 storm and 10" in 3/2/09, not as much as Long Island but still solid totals. I didn't realize there existed such an eternal screw-zone in NYC metro since it seems as if every area has had its turn to get hammered in the last few winters.

March 1914 bombed to 952 mb, and had totals over 24+ near Asbury Park...

Probably had some incredible drifting.

I really wonder how much Dobbs Ferry had in March 1914 and February 1920, since both storms were clearly better for the NW suburbs than NYC proper. Unfortunately records here only go back to the 1946-47 winter, so I need to find someone with access to White Plains data.

When i was younger i envy both ur locations......the last few years not so much.....I have a friend that lives in asbury,nj Hunterdon county, they seem to do pretty well there...seems like on our advisory type events they really do well.....2-26-10 also pounded that county.

That was the famous loop d loop storm. just to my NW they got 20", i had 15 , and over southern parts of the county, only 5-10" fell. Big range.

I feel bad for those people-- is the flooding worse than last year?

Oh no, not even close thankfully. The Raritan at Manville and Bound Brook just barely crested at flood stage, which is nothing compared to last March when the river crested at 8 feet above flood stage at Bound Brook and 7.5 feet above flood stage at Manville, or in April 2007 when the river crested at 10 feet above flood stage at Bound Brook and 8 feet above flood stage at Manville.

I was talking about the fact that I can walk to the Raritan River every time it floods and see how high it gets.

Oh no, not even close thankfully. The Raritan at Manville and Bound Brook just barely crested at flood stage, which is nothing compared to last March when the river crested at 8 feet above flood stage at Bound Brook and 7.5 feet above flood stage at Manville, or in April 2007 when the river crested at 10 feet above flood stage at Bound Brook and 8 feet above flood stage at Manville.

Yup, that Tax Day storm was truly horrendous. What about Plainfield and Paramus? Where all the rivers meet? I heard they didnt crest until Sunday and were going to be above flood stage through Wednesday.

Archived