Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
general march discussion

earthlight

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

still just south - but most mets including JB thinks this is going to be further north more of an I -80 event - this is where you want the models especially the GFS to be 7 days out........

agreed, im loving the confluence showing up on the models, tells me we have a high change at getting some snow. I dont care where the models put the actual storm right now.

I was just pointing it out that it doesn't HAVE to occur at night just because it's late in the year for it to stick.

Well, yea the funny thing about April snowstorms is that it usually has to snow heavily for it to stick regardless of it being day or night. We have a bit more wiggle room in late March.

A slightly less well known April event also featured a short burst of heavy day time snow -- 4/4/06. As a matter of fact, most of our April accumulating snows have occurred in the daytime-- this might just be a case of the days being longer than the nights by then. The only exception I can think of offhand is 4/9/96 into 4/10/96 in which there was some accumulation during the day but the majority of it occurred during the night with near 0 visibility and blizzard like conditions.

Looking at 12z Euro soundings for LGA:

Rain switches to frozen hour 138. And then .58" of precip falls with 850's well below and surface 33-35 degrees thru hour 162.

Thicknesses are a little high before crashing, so it could be some sleet as well. Pure snow looks to begin after hour 144.

Euro is a full day quicker then the GGEM.

I would ask you for JFK but it's almost time for the 0z runs haha..... although with the stupid time change we have to stay up til like 3 AM for the EURO.

Well, yea the funny thing about April snowstorms is that it usually has to snow heavily for it to stick regardless of it being day or night. We have a bit more wiggle room in late March.

A slightly less well known April event also featured a short burst of heavy day time snow -- 4/4/06. As a matter of fact, most of our April accumulating snows have occurred in the daytime-- this might just be a case of the days being longer than the nights by then. The only exception I can think of offhand is 4/9/96 into 4/10/96 in which there was some accumulation during the day but the majority of it occurred during the night with near 0 visibility and blizzard like conditions.

4/9/00 was a strictly night time event.

I would ask you for JFK but it's almost time for the 0z runs haha..... although with the stupid time change we have to stay up til like 3 AM for the EURO.

Can't post it since I'm on phone. But it's a little warmer then LGA. Probably take away .10" of frozen.

Not always true. I recall slow, steady accumulation at night on 4/1/97 with light to moderate snow and temps around 33F (this was on the North Shore of LI). We had about 5", almost all of which fell at night.

Do you also root for higher gas prices?? Who the hell in their right mind would want it to get colder now???

You are on the wrong forums if this is how you feel. While potentially true, this thread and the forums here are full of snow lovers...

Archived