Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
general march discussion

earthlight

That is just way too hard to do.

HECS are historic because they only happen a few times a century if that. Storms may be historic over a very isolated region such as Boxing Day but the overall impact over the east coast is the most important factor in my opinion. For MBY, 96 far surpassed Boxing Day. Now, if you want to label the calander year of 2010 historic, I don't have a problem with that.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about it was a historic year for our backyards but not a historic year for the east coast? i always loved the "HECS" debates..why? because its a weenie made up defintion with everyone having their own opinion on what it means so no one will be right..

btw, i can hear my echo, the weather right now is the most boring it as been in a looong time..

How about it was a historic year for our backyards but not a historic year for the east coast? i always loved the "HECS" debates..why? because its a weenie made up defintion with everyone having their own opinion on what it means so no one will be right..

btw, i can hear my echo, the weather right now is the most boring it as been in a looong time..

yea its pretty brutal...nothing worse than in the unforseeable future only 45-50 degree days, maybe a little warmer, mainly cloudy days.

Not warm enough to be outside and enjoy it, not cold enough to snow. awful.

yea its pretty brutal...nothing worse than in the unforseeable future only 45-50 degree days, maybe a little warmer, mainly cloudy days.

Not warm enough to be outside and enjoy it, not cold enough to snow. awful.

Welcome to mid-March in NYC metro.

However, we should be in the 60s Thursday and Friday with sunshine, so that's going to feel nice.

Welcome to mid-March in NYC metro.

However, we should be in the 60s Thursday and Friday with sunshine, so that's going to feel nice.

lookin forward to that, this cold weather is getting on my nerves and its always windy somehow, im goin thru basketball withdrawals lol..I don't like that NAO going negative - could mean a cruddy spring.

The Boxing day blizzard is my favorite storm of all time. The wind,combined with the thundersnow and huge drifts made it an impressive storm. I know the blizzard of 96 had a lot of impact, but I don't really remember that storm. This is why the December storm is my favorite.

25 inches.

Models brought it back on Christmas Eve. Best Christmas Eve ever.:thumbsup:

We're talking about plowing?

Im talking amount of snow. 1996 had much more snow then boxing day for all of Queens. 25"+, including on all side streets and main streets. Plowing was better during 1996; that I agree with; but it was still a very disruptive storm that had an impact for at least a week.

1996 was very disruptive in Queens and LI.

Youre correct-- the 1996 storm was amazing in its expanse and the city was paralyzed for over a week-- no traffic or transit whatsoever. And that was without a mayoral controversy. The Dec blizzard should not have been as paralyzing as it was-- a lot of that had to do with a breakdown of the system.

By that logic, we only had two historic snowstorms... JAN 1996 and Feb 03. Doesn't make any sense. February 6, 2010 had 30" inches of snow for Balitmore Maryland, that wasn't a HECS, what do you call it then? And 28.5" in Philly.

I bet people of DC-BWI would call it a HECS.

He's right bro-- HECS needs to be differentiated from Historic NYC or Historic PHILLY or whatever city storm. Feb 1983, Jan 1996 and PD2 are the only three HECS I have witnessed. I put Dec 2010 right after those three.

He's right bro-- HECS needs to be differentiated from Historic NYC or Historic PHILLY or whatever city storm. Feb 1983, Jan 1996 and PD2 are the only three HECS I have witnessed. I put Dec 2010 right after those three.

are you basing your definition off of I-95 impact? i would throw in 1993 as a historic EAST coast storm, but like i said before, ALL opinion

It is absurd to say February 5-6 2010 was NOT a HECS....

Same goes for DEC 26-27, 2010,

and the great Blizzard of 1978.

NESIS 4 and 5 are full blown HECS..

But 1978 wasn't a NESIS 4.

Since any CITY on the East Coast, if say Norfolk VA gets 18 inches of snow, that's a HECS for them., hands down.

The Boxing day blizzard is my favorite storm of all time. The wind,combined with the thundersnow and huge drifts made it an impressive storm. I know the blizzard of 96 had a lot of impact, but I don't really remember that storm. This is why the December storm is my favorite.

25 inches.

Models brought it back on Christmas Eve. Best Christmas Eve ever.:thumbsup:

That was an awesome Christmas present...storm was great for its winds and brutal cold here but the snowfall total of 13" was relatively pedestrian especially considering I had 26" in the 2010 Snowicane. Boxing Day was a very intense and dangerous storm, but I don't think it can compare to January 1996 because the coverage of the latter storm was so much greater, dealing 2' of snow from DC to Boston whereas 12/26 was mostly for NYC and parts of SNE. The excitement of following a blizzard crushing the entire I-95 corridor was great if you were old enough; I was only 8 years old but I still remember snippets of the Weather Channel and the clean-up which involved spending hours digging out buried cars. It was a winter wonderland out there for days, and we had three consecutive snow days as the clean-up effort was massive.

January 1996 blizzard in Tarrytown, NY(Westchester County):

The official total from the Dobbs Ferry co-op was 16.8", a serious undermeasurement. Central Park reported 20.2" which I also think is on the low end. I wouldn't be surprised if 25-30" fell given my memories of the storm, the above image, and the fact that it was extremely powdery snow with drifting that often leads people to measure conservatively in order to avoid inflation.

Since any CITY on the East Coast, if say Norfolk VA gets 18 inches of snow, that's a HECS for them., hands down.

HECS means" historic East Coast snowstorm," so it's not supposed to be applied to individual locations. Obviously, each major snowfall can be "historic" for a given location, but a HECS is one that's very widespread in its effects. In my book, the only true HECS in recent times were December 2009, February 2006, February 2003, April 1997, January 1996, and March 1993. None of the other storms were really widespread enough to be a HECS, but that doesn't mean individual areas didn't have an historic snowstorm, like New England in January 2005 or NYC metro in Snowicane 2010. I consider anything over 18" a HECS for Dobbs Ferry, so the only events to meet that criteria in the past decade would be February 25, 2010 and February 12, 2006. PDII just missed here with 16" recorded.

HECS means" historic East Coast snowstorm," so it's not supposed to be applied to individual locations. Obviously, each major snowfall can be "historic" for a given location, but a HECS is one that's very widespread in its effects. In my book, the only true HECS in recent times were December 2009, February 2006, February 2003, April 1997, January 1996, and March 1993. None of the other storms were really widespread enough to be a HECS, but that doesn't mean individual areas didn't have an historic snowstorm, like New England in January 2005 or NYC metro in Snowicane 2010. I consider anything over 18" a HECS for Dobbs Ferry, so the only events to meet that criteria in the past decade would be February 25, 2010 and February 12, 2006. PDII just missed here with 16" recorded.

Hold on a second Zucker :P April 1997 was not widespread by any means.

I would consider anything over 18 inches also a HECS as well..

Surprised no February 2010 in your book.

IMO, they were all HECS that month.

For mby I rank boxing day number one. I kno people like to look for snow amounts and region covered. But by dc not seeing a flake does not make or break that storm for me. I saw a hundred stranded cars on the express lane on the parkway between Holmdel and red bank. All had 6 ft drifts around them. My area def took the brunt of it. Toms river had 30 inches from that. Plus with the strong winds it hamper the snow growth, so def the 1-26 had a better show for pure rate.

Amazing what a difference 15 miles can make. Here in Bridgewater I will remember Boxing Day 2010 as nothing more than an ordinary snowstorm (9 inches), and in fact I won't even really remember it in a good light because of how painful it was to see that band stop just to my east and to see totals so much higher than mine so close to my east.

January 26-27, 2011 was a WAY better storm for me; in fact it was my favorite storm out of the last two winters.

I have my own standards for HECS.... which is at least three cities from the following list need to get 16 inches or more of snow (DC,BWI,PHL,NYC,PVD,BOS).

Actually make that 4..... Just having 3 out of 6 doesn't make the coverage large enough.

Archived