joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
general march discussion

earthlight

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea.. Looking very mild.. Unless the 0z GFS has the right idea in a few weeks with what looks to be -NAO conditions... Otherwise, snow chances seem slim

I initially thought Central Park had a good chance to getting to number two on the all-time snowfall list, that seems out the door.

Yup, it has us 60+ F next Friday and then 65+ the middle of that following week.

I would watch the ULL in the Canadian Maritimes and Central Atlantic ridge, the models are developing, to prevent us from torching after Friday. The models don't typically handle those features well.

38.5/30

FAIR

Nice crisp mid-March night, will be the first to fall below freezing in a while. Should be slightly chillier tomorrow night.

Just looked back through the 12/26 threads, what an epic storm to begin an epic season Snowman.gif

But man did the pattern change fast...certainly some melancholy moments now sitting here during a snowless March and wondering if we have any flakes left in the 2010-11 Winter. I still haven't gotten past my total from last year, which looked to be dead on arrival after the epic January. Stuck at 65.75"...Has this winter got one last blow left? I'm not feeling it, but one thing the last two seasons have taught me is to never say never. What a run.

38.5/30

FAIR

Nice crisp mid-March night, will be the first to fall below freezing in a while. Should be slightly chillier tomorrow night.

Just looked back through the 12/26 threads, what an epic storm to begin an epic season Snowman.gif

But man did the pattern change fast...certainly some melancholy moments now sitting here during a snowless March and wondering if we have any flakes left in the 2010-11 Winter. I still haven't gotten past my total from last year, which looked to be dead on arrival after the epic January. Stuck at 65.75"...Has this winter got one last blow left? I'm not feeling it, but one thing the last two seasons have taught me is to never say never. What a run.

I'm really interested if the park can get to freezing tomorrow night. Northerly flow is forecast (the best flow for the cold air of course, but does go 045 later on), but it's weak. Have mainly clear skies as well. OKX has them down to 33. It will be close. Burbs could hit the teens with this Canadian high. We won't be talking about these numbers for a while after tomorrow night tho. I think the end of the week, if all goes as planned, the metro could get over 70.

I'm really interested if the park can get to freezing tomorrow night. Northerly flow is forecast (the best flow for the cold air of course, but does go 045 later on), but it's weak. Have mainly clear skies as well. OKX has them down to 33. It will be close. Burbs could hit the teens with this Canadian high. We won't be talking about these numbers for a while after tomorrow night tho. I think the end of the week, if all goes as planned, the metro could get over 70.

Friday looks really warm with that low being progged further and further north, limiting cloud cover.

I see one more cold period around March 23/24 as the models seem to want to build some blocking at that juncture. That might be the last widespread freeze for the urban areas.

Friday looks really warm with that low being progged further and further north, limiting cloud cover.

I see one more cold period around March 23/24 as the models seem to want to build some blocking at that juncture. That might be the last widespread freeze for the urban areas.

Yea, I saw the blocking 10 days down the road on the gfs ensemble mean yesterday. It's pretty damped out of course by then, will be interesting as we get closer if the blocking gets stronger.

So tomorrow night could be the city's last freeze of the season?

last 2 winters have been pretty fantastic.... yet a bit schitzo IMBY... these numbers are kinda nuts....

snow totals:

jan 2010 .5"

jan 2011 33.5"

feb 2010 40.0"

feb 2011 1.0"

So tomorrow night could be the city's last freeze of the season?

I don't think it will. As Nate and myself said, there are signs of some blocking setting up down the line in March. And also HM noted, we may see a period of cold from April 5-10. I know the winter outlooks posted way back when said that they liked a winter with a good start, then a wane, then a good ending. So this may be panning out just as that. Of course, so many things have to work right in April. But, I know from the many times you have posted it, it CAN snow in april. lol.

I don't think it will. As Nate and myself said, there are signs of some blocking setting up down the line in March. And also HM noted, we may see a period of cold from April 5-10. I know the winter outlooks posted way back when said that they liked a winter with a good start, then a wane, then a good ending. So this may be panning out just as that. Of course, so many things have to work right in April. But, I know from the many times you have posted it, it CAN snow in april. lol.

Day 10 on the 0z GFS:

Finally gets the -NAO back in there. The two periods I like for final cold shots or potential snowfalls are 3/22-25 and 4/5-10 as HM mentioned. But it's certainly unlikely to see accumulating snow at that point, it must be acknowledged.

East based -NAO. Imagine it west based?

God what I would do to kill that vortex over Baffin Island. That thing has owned us since early February, disgusting.

Pacific also doesn't look that friendly on the GFS. Still fighting the strong Niña for sure, but some hints of higher heights in the West ahead of the ULL off Cali.

38.5/30

FAIR

I remember you said you would be extremely upset if you ended up with less snow than you got less winter, which was 68"?

I remember you said you would be extremely upset if you ended up with less snow than you got less winter, which was 68"?

heck, on the pace we were setting, why wouldn't he? The last storm I had here was the +fzra storm on 2/1. He at least got the overrunning later in the month which netted 8". As much as I want spring to come fast so we can watch baseball, it would be a nice parting gift to get one last storm. ONLY b/c we had such a break in between. If we just got owned one after another all season up until now, I wouldn't be singing the same tune.

Yeah...we only had like 14" here through February last year, so 68" was pretty impressive.

This winter we had 55" at the end of January and are sitting at 65.75"... February wasn't terrible but definitely below average, followed by a horrid March. This was definitely, overall, though a better winter than 09-10. And it's no joke to have two near 70" consecutive winters here; I live inside of 10 miles from the Bronx. Very impressive, back to back doesn't usually happen here.

heck, on the pace we were setting, why wouldn't he? The last storm I had here was the +fzra storm on 2/1. He at least got the overrunning later in the month which netted 8". As much as I want spring to come fast so we can watch baseball, it would be a nice parting gift to get one last storm. ONLY b/c we had such a break in between. If we just got owned one after another all season up until now, I wouldn't be singing the same tune.

How much do you have this year total?

Yeah, this winter isnt exactly the best possible.... I would have ranked 1995-96 and 2002-03 both well above it.... because I prize longevity more than anything else (and big storms a close 2nd.) While the snowstorms we saw earlier in the winter were very good, they werent on the level of Jan 96 or PD2.

Yeah...we only had like 14" here through February last year, so 68" was pretty impressive.

This winter we had 55" at the end of January and are sitting at 65.75"... February wasn't terrible but definitely below average, followed by a horrid March. This was definitely, overall, though a better winter than 09-10. And it's no joke to have two near 70" consecutive winters here; I live inside of 10 miles from the Bronx. Very impressive, back to back doesn't usually happen here.

This is my 3rd place winter, with 09-10 in 4th place.

We got shafted on a few storms here in hunterdon county. Have 51.3" for the season. Well above what was expected tho.

Wow....and you probably average quite a bit more than I. That's a bit disappointing. You were pretty screwed with Boxing Day too, I shared in that painful affair.

But no one can be too upset given the strong Niña and lucky turns we've seen...

Yeah, this winter isnt exactly the best possible.... I would have ranked 1995-96 and 2002-03 both well above it.... because I prize longevity more than anything else (and big storms a close 2nd.) While the snowstorms we saw earlier in the winter were very good, they werent on the level of Jan 96 or PD2.

96 is still the king around here. IIRC, we had close to 20" with that. My driveway was a mess.

for me locally, the 2 big ones this year were both better than PDII.

1996 still pretty much stomped this winter (locally)......... however, back to back 50"+ winters is extraordinary... and is right up there in the "you'll be telling your grandchildren" category.

Archived