Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Threat Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By Day 7, there's a strong Rex block over the Yukon and Alaska, combining with the -NAO to increase our cold air source. However we're barely holding onto the trough, as the sub-tropical ridge is powerful in such a potent Niña. It's trying to torch the CONUS despite a fairly -EPO/-NAO look:

Most of the country is actually at or below average D7 and virtually all of the country is well below average by D8-9. The ridging is only at 500mb but there is plenty of surface cold... normal for a -EPO/-NAO overrunning type pattern.

Day 8.5:

18zGFS850mbTAnomalyNA204.gif

By Day 7, there's a strong Rex block over the Yukon and Alaska, combining with the -NAO to increase our cold air source. However we're barely holding onto the trough, as the sub-tropical ridge is powerful in such a potent Niña. It's trying to torch the CONUS despite a fairly -EPO/-NAO look:

Looks exactly like Mid Dec 1970 map I posted last week, barely held on for an entire winter NAO FTW

Most of the country is actually at or below average D7 and virtually all of the country is well below average by D8-9. The ridging is only at 500mb but there is plenty of surface cold... normal for a -EPO/-NAO overrunning type pattern.

Day 8.5:

The 18z GFS ENS also show a colder look at 500mb with less ridging over the Plains. You can see that heights over the NE/OK border on the OP 18z are around 570dm whereas the ENS shows 558dm at Day 7.

What the heck r u talking about , link please.

Haha no not meant in a bad way at all... your enthusiasm is infectious. I love that we never hear anything negative out of you... that's what I was getting at. Its always optimistic for the next great cold and snowy pattern. That's why although don't always agree, I love reading the posts from you, Pete, and Jerry. Its always cold and its always snowy on the horizon.

As many surmised, the chief theme early in this winter is the Pacific battling to raise heights against a strong -NAO/-AO block that looks like the continuation of Winter 09-10. It looks as if the severity of the arctic block may win in the first half of December, but the pattern is pretty unpredictable right now. It's hard to get a storm to amplify with the massive GoA low shown one the GFS Ensembles at Day 7, as you say looks more like an overrunning pattern. However, the ECM actually shows a coastal and not an overrunning threat.

Haha no not meant in a bad way at all... your enthusiasm is infectious. I love that we never hear anything negative out of you... that's what I was getting at. Its always optimistic for the next great cold and snowy pattern. That's why although don't always agree, I love reading the posts from you, Pete, and Jerry. Its always cold and its always snowy on the horizon.

Ain't no place for the negative way make way for a positive day.

Gotcha.

Nahh dude, forget if Ski Patrol has them closed... we'll ski 'em anyway. This place has very relaxed closure policies.

But the Front Four isn't where its at... we will go out-of-bounds and ski the Mansfield backcountry... you'll never go back to MRG after skiing some of the lines, chutes, bowls, and snowfields that I'll show ya :devilsmiley:

Been, there done that. Great stuff but still no MRG. I'll give you the guided tour there and you'll jump ship on Stowe.

The 18z GFS ENS also show a colder look at 500mb with less ridging over the Plains. You can see that heights over the NE/OK border on the OP 18z are around 570dm whereas the ENS shows 558dm at Day 7.

Unfortunately that ridge needs to retrograde to the west to allow for any shortwaves to amplify as they come east. The way the pattern is depicted now by both the GFS and Euro, the baroclinic zone gets shunted way out to see, so any cyclogenesis that happens will be for the fishes. We need a shortwave to amplify strongly to back the flow up the coast. Maybe that happens closer to 12/10 or beyond? Until then, a retro solution is the only way to get snow in here. The retro solution should be great for the northern ski resorts but would have to be quite epic to get snow down to Mass.

It's very rare for a storm to retrograde as far south as did the February 26th Snowicane...that's just one-in-a-million compared to storms that retrograde back into Maine and the Canadian Maritimes. The early retrograding of that storm warm sectored all of SNE while NYC got hammered.

Not quite, 40" here from Feb 24-28.

Been, there done that. Great stuff but still no MRG. I'll give you the guided tour there and you'll jump ship on Stowe.

I look forward to it man... love the single chair. Didn't get there last season but was there a few times the previous year. Last time I was there, we sat at the bar in the basebox listening to music for hours. Great scene in there.

Unfortunately that ridge needs to retrograde to the west to allow for any shortwaves to amplify as they come east. The way the pattern is depicted now by both the GFS and Euro, the baroclinic zone gets shunted way out to see, so any cyclogenesis that happens will be for the fishes. We need a shortwave to amplify strongly to back the flow up the coast. Maybe that happens closer to 12/10 or beyond? Until then, a retro solution is the only way to get snow in here. The retro solution should be great for the northern ski resorts but would have to be quite epic to get snow down to Mass.

Yes, the strong GoA low is making the flow quite zonal over North America despite the potent -NAO block. It's making it hard for a trough of low pressure to dig anywhere.

I'm not buying the retrograde storm, those types of systems are few and far between.

Not quite, 40" here from Feb 24-28.

Yeah, you were far enough west to avoid most of the damage. Middlebury got hammered in the 2/24 storm with 20" but had all rain in the Snowicane; I know it was a different story for the higher elevations of northern Vermont, however. Logan11's area did particularly well in that period too.

Yes, the strong GoA low is making the flow quite zonal over North America despite the potent -NAO block. It's making it hard for a trough of low pressure to dig anywhere.

Its going to be like pulling teeth to get any amplification along the east coast with that monster underneath ak, I think our best bet is going to be some sheared out system in the flow sliding underneath long island .......1-3 2-4 inch deal, which if it happens I would gladly take.

Its going to be like pulling teeth to get any amplification along the east coast with that monster underneath ak, I think our best bet is going to be some sheared out system in the flow sliding underneath long island .......1-3 2-4 inch deal, which if it happens I would gladly take.

Ugh I know...the upcoming pattern is gorgeous with a 3SD NAO block and a huge ridge over northern Alaska pouring the cold into Canada...but that GoA low will not quiet down! Curse of the strong La Niña here, folks. I'd like to see the models pick up on some overrunning scenarios as I think a cold version of a SWFE would be the best way to capitalize on the cold air and fairly zonal jet. If a piece of that ULL near Cali can break off, maybe we could be talking...

Archived