Dec 5th and 6-8 threats

tombo82685

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

raw data comes in with 0.87" for KPHL and all snow

1.10" for KPNE

take a look at hr 300: http://wxweb.meteost...shtml?text=kpne :lmao:

850mb temp of only -5 C, yet a 2m temp between -5 and 9 F? Either that's a mistake, or someone explain it to me.

It shows single digits around these parts. The ensemble mean also agrees with the op on the big cold outbreak.

PV situated over western hudson bay, good position for a mid atlantic/coastal storm. Usually when you see the PV over eastern hudson's bay, there's a good chance the event will be suppressed. But taken verbatim, yeah, this is about as good as it gets. Nice ridge axis poking up in the intermountain West, 50-50 and block downstream. At this point I'm more worried about a miss to the south than a Lakes cutter. The chances of the latter occurring are virtually nil w/ a strong neg nao/ao.

Also note that there are some higher heights over Alaska North Slope in conjunction with the GoA low...sort of a Rex block/semi -EPO that draws the cold into Canada. That PV has some really frigid air associated with it, and it would turn brutally cold after the storm with 850s approaching -15C.

0z GFS ensemble mean still likes the idea of a storm.

Looks like a cold storm too. Very happy with the airmass in place prior to the event, especially by early December standards when highs are still typically in the mid 40s.

I just hope we don't get screwed out of a good pattern and watch as folks to our south get hammered. There always seems to be a fly in the ointment in la nina years, so I'm not getting excited yet.

Agree Tom.....Nice to see a threat on the map....and its something to watch. Look foward to some good disscussion this week.

I just hope we don't get screwed out of a good pattern and watch as folks to our south get hammered. There always seems to be a fly in the ointment in la nina years, so I'm not getting excited yet.

I agree and the lack of consistency on most guidance of late adds to the concern. It is encouraging to see the kind of blocking and subsequent pattern that could offer plenty of potential a good chunk of December. That Dec 7 - Dec 12 period looks promising so far....

wow i leave disgusted at the 18z gfs, i come back and the 00z shows a monster and the board is lit up. I really like that arctic air associated and available in the storm time period. This is going to be a fun week if more models come on board. Lookin forward to the new euro

Archived