• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA...February ends, March begins...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Switching gears a bit, the thunderstorms in SW PA prompted me to have my first look at the SPC mesoanalysis map in quite awhile. And for late march, some parameters are pretty decent. Been several severe warnings further south but the ones in PA only marked with special weather statements, and it will likely stay that way. But i'm sure given some steep low/mid level lapses and cape over 500, there could be some decent gusts and some small hail.

Cape (surface based)

post-1507-0-80608500-1300745316.gif

Low level lapse

post-1507-0-35651900-1300745340.gif

Not buying this storm for PA...even Scranton etc. When all is said and done...I feel Upstate NY will be the winners or losers(snow this time of year...:arrowhead: ) Only NAM onboard for snow this far south.

Euro and GFS starts you as snow. You get about .3-.4 frozen on the latest GFS at the start, seems to be mainly frozen on the Euro.

So there is more support than the NAM.

Looks like a better shot of snow with this storm.

Yea thats been lurking on the GFS and the 12z Euro has it south enough to make it a southern half of PA special. I think for the folks below I-80 this may well end up being a better shot of being something interesting as the cold boundary settles even further south after the Wed storm. May be one to watch.

Yea thats been lurking on the GFS and the 12z Euro has it south enough to make it a southern half of PA special. I think for the folks below I-80 this may well end up being a better shot of being something interesting as the cold boundary settles even further south after the Wed storm. May be one to watch.

I am impressed with the potential over the next two weeks. Once to around April 10th, that should be it for the year, however.

But before that, advisory snows/ice look likely from AOO north and northeastward tomorrow night and Wednesday. Some wintry mix could even back southwestward into JST as well. I'd be on the lookout for bad roads Wednesday morning from Tipton northward to Ridgway, then east/southeast.

The weekend event should be south of I-80.

I am impressed with the potential over the next two weeks. Once to around April 10th, that should be it for the year, however.

But before that, advisory snows/ice look likely from AOO north and northeastward tomorrow night and Wednesday. Some wintry mix could even back southwestward into JST as well. I'd be on the lookout for bad roads Wednesday morning from Tipton northward to Ridgway, then east/southeast.

The weekend event should be south of I-80.

Wondered where you have been? Thanks for the update!

Oye...WSW's issued for northern sections and even as far south as Berks County.

MCKEAN-POTTER-CAMERON-NORTHERN CLINTON-TIOGA-NORTHERN LYCOMING-

SULLIVAN-COLUMBIA-SCHUYLKILL-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BRADFORD...COUDERSPORT...EMPORIUM...

RENOVO...MANSFIELD...WELLSBORO...LAPORTE...BLOOMSBURG...BERWICK...

POTTSVILLE

351 AM EDT TUE MAR 22 2011

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH

THURSDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH

THURSDAY MORNING.

* LOCATION...THE NORTH CENTRAL MOUNTAINS AND POCONOS.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW AND SLEET...MIXING WITH OR CHANGING

TO FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...OVER 6 INCHES OF SNOW AND ONE QUARTER INCH OF

FREEZING RAIN ARE POSSIBLE. THE HEAVIEST ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW

WILL BE IN COUDERSPORT...MANSFIELD AND LAPORTE.

* TIMING...SNOW AND SLEET WILL BEGIN LATE THIS EVENING. THE MOST

PROBABLE TIME FOR FREEZING RAIN WILL BE LATE TONIGHT AND

WEDNESDAY MORNING. THE PRECIPITATION WILL TURN BACK TO SNOW

SHOWERS WEDNESDAY EVENING.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST AROUND 10 MPH.

* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS...AND A HEAVY COATING OF

SNOW...SLEET AND ICE ON TREES AND POWER LINES.

:thumbsup: I will take it haha. The storm the other day brought me .3" of snow and sleet before the change over to rain. I love winter so bring on a foot of snow and no warmth until mid april :snowman:

I wouldn't be shocked to see you approach 8" with this one.

197260_209856372364572_203514829665393_896822_7240261_n.jpg

WINTER STORM WATCH

AWXC PA UNIT

10:20 AM TUE MAR 22 2011

...THE PENNSYLVANIA UNIT OF ANALYSTWXCAST HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES...

...BRADFORD, CARBON, COLUMBIA, LACKAWANNA, LUZERNE, LYCOMING, MONROE, NORTHHAMPTON, PIKE, POTTER, SULLIVAN,

SUSQUEHANNA, TIOGA, WAYNE, & WYOMING...

...IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM WEDNESDAY UNTIL 1 AM THURSDAY...

A AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL WORK ITS WAY OFF TO THE SOUTH OF THE REGION THIS COMBINED WITH A STRONG HIGH

PRESSURE TO THE NORTH WILL FILTER IN COLD ENOUGH AIR FOR SNOW TO BE THE MAIN PRECIPITATION TYPE. AMOUNTS

MAY REACH OR EXCEED 6 INCHES OVER THE WATCH AREA. THE SNOW WILL BE VERY HEAVY IN WEIGHT WITH LOW LIQUID TO

SNOW RATIOS SO DOWNED TREE LIMBS AND POWER LINES ARE ALSO POSSIBLE.

Looks like the NAM is more bullish on the second part as far as snow now.

People here are either asking me how bad it will be or in complete denial that we are entering a cold period.

Jamie

Just tell them spring is here. What would be the chance of snow and cold weather. :devilsmiley:

Adam

Nice of you to help Jamie with his snow totals :)

Now to see if it materializes.

Archived