• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central PA...February ends, March begins...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tornado warning expanded into southern Cambria and northern Somerset. And this storm looks to have produced at least a legit funnel cloud if not full fledged tornado in Westmoreland county. The couplet is still evident on radar. Jerome and Boswell in Somerset county are currently most under the gun for the actual possible tornado if it's still on the ground.

Seems like the tornado is following Rt 56 out of Johnstown towards Windber?

Yea roughly, it looks like the cell is finally starting to weaken. What a powerful storm that was/is, i'll be curious to see any storm surveys. It still has a pretty established core and a bit of a couplet from it. So theres liable to be at least some winds and significant hail.

Meanwhile:

post-1507-0-20099900-1300916848.png

Decent line setting up across southern Blair, Huntingdon, and further east a bit. Its likely these warnings are mainly for hail that may reach severe criteria. Murgo from WTAJ was just mentioning there had been hail in Altoona and Hollidaysburg. I'd bet the house on seeing hail in any of those red 50+ DBZ areas, but we'll have to see the reports on if it reached the new 1.00" criteria for severe. Otherwise, these storms don't have any real good parameters to work with to produce much of any other kind of threats in the central counties

Yea roughly, it looks like the cell is finally starting to weaken. What a powerful storm that was/is, i'll be curious to see any storm surveys. It still has a pretty established core and a bit of a couplet from it. So theres liable to be at least some winds and significant hail.

Meanwhile:

post-1507-0-20099900-1300916848.png

Decent line setting up across southern Blair, Huntingdon, and further east a bit. Its likely these warnings are mainly for hail that may reach severe criteria. Murgo from WTAJ was just mentioning there had been hail in Altoona and Hollidaysburg. I'd bet the house on seeing hail in any of those red 50+ DBZ areas, but we'll have to see the reports on if it reached the new 1.00" criteria for severe. Otherwise, these storms don't have any real good parameters to work with to produce much of any other kind of threats in the central counties

Thanks for the response. Pretty amazing day out there for Western and central Pa so far. Some of the pics were amazing out of the region. There has to be some golf ball size hail in AOO area. Looks very impressive on radar for sure.

Looks like some hail on the ground looking at some of the 511pa cams around Johnstown, especially the southern most one on 219. JSTWX will likely have some nice tales to tell.

Alot of pea size hail, heavy rain and suprisingly little wind at least in Moxham. Having been born and lived in Tornado Alley for 35 yrs, the sky just didn'y get that yellowish-sickly green color for a tornado. The storm that plowed through here last year at this time, got my attention for a few minutes.

37.6ºF out right now and it sounds like a stormy summer eve outside. If all this insanity just isn't enough for you folks here's how the 15z SREF's opened up on the weekend threat.. which seems to be now starting to look more like a later Sunday thing.

Hr 87 Snow probs (1+, 4+, 8+, 12+)

post-1507-0-97627100-1300918939.gif

12z GFS also has this, and 12z Euro is too south but does get some light precip into the southern zones.

Archived