• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grading winter 2010-11

NortheastPAWx

do we seriously need an entire thread about how much snow Hazleton, PA hasn't gotten?

anyway....

December B- because of the 12/19 bust and the dry slot during 12/26

January A+ 30.0" of snow in one calendar month, nearly continuous storms, and 1/26 overproduced majorly.

February C+ ice storm busted a bit, then the warmth.

So I guess it's a B winter, even though the 5-week period from 12/26 to 2/2 was a definite A+. A good March storm would make it an A winter imo, but the Feb warmth really killed the grade.

These are very "IMBY" scores. I can understand why there will be different opinions across the region.

Dec: A- (We only average about 2" of snow in Dec, so the Boxing Day storm alone gives this a high score.)

Jan: A (Maybe I could go A+ here.)

Feb: C- (Feb is traditionally our snowiest month, but La Nina finally showed up. If my backyard made out a little better Monday night, this score could have been higher.)

Mar: TBD

Even if another flake doesn't fall this season, my overall score for this winter would be A-. Snowman.gif

Overall, solid A. You don't get 9 weeks of consistent cold and 4 weeks of consistent snow in this part of the world very often.

Pretty much agree here, although I'd grade it a bit more harshly and will go A-. I'm leaving room for a late season snow event of 3"+ to bump it up to an A. Hopefully, that event would occur in the March 1 to March 20 time frame. Otherwise, it won't impact the grade as it will be Spring.

You are a harsh grader considering you got roughly twice your average snowfall.

The range of possibilities has to come into play, though. Technically there should only be one A+ winter... to me, that's the snowiest, but no matter how you grade something it should be very hard to get an A and only the very best winter should ever get an A+.

The range of possibilities has to come into play, though. Technically there should only be one A+ winter... to me, that's the snowiest, but no matter how you grade something it should be very hard to get an A and only the very best winter should ever get an A+.

I think an average winter should get a B since it is more usual to get below average snowfall thanks to a few snowy outliers. If a winter clearly has well above average snowfall, like Philly this year, I'd give it an A. Winters like 2009-10 and 2002-03 are easily A+ in my opinion.

December 2010: A+.... Boxing Day Blizzard is THE rival to January 1996 Blizzard up here, it might have bit a bit better due to winds and insane snow rates. For Union County, NJ it was probably #1.... 27-32" of snow for them.

January 2011: Snowiest January EVER... A+

Feb 2011: ehhh. C-

If we are talking about storms,

On an overall sheme, Jan '96 and Dec 2010 for NJ are in a class of their own as well as Feb 6 2010.

For Colts Neck, NJ:

December: A

January: A

February: C (mainly b/c there was snow cover most of the month, difficult to do)

Overall: B+

I'm at 55.5" now. If we can get into the 60-70" range, I'd give this winter an A-

Last year was A, with 70"+

Agree with Ray on only 1 A+ winter...and that remains 1995-96.

For Colts Neck, NJ:

December: A

January: A

February: C (mainly b/c there was snow cover most of the month, difficult to do)

Overall: B+

I'm at 55.5" now. If we can get into the 60-70" range, I'd give this winter an A-

Last year was A, with 70"+

Agree with Ray on only 1 A+ winter...and that remains 1995-96.

Your location in colts neck is 55.5" I would have thought like 63 or there abouts.

I think an average winter should get a B since it is more usual to get below average snowfall thanks to a few snowy outliers.

I will need to look up the median snowfall in Philly, but I have trouble giving a winter with 20" there a B. Maybe a C+.

If a winter clearly has well above average snowfall, like Philly this year, I'd give it an A. Winters like 2009-10 and 2002-03 are easily A+ in my opinion.

2009-2010 is obviously the new A+ at Philly. But 02-03? I don't think Philly even broke 50" that year... its no comparison to 09-10. Its a crime to give them the same grade.

2009-2010 is obviously the new A+ at Philly. But 02-03? I don't think Philly even broke 50" that year... its no comparison to 09-10. Its a crime to give them the same grade.

I was referring more to where I live, I should have been more clear. BWI got 58.1" in 2002-03, including an amazing HECS.

But even Philly has probably not had more than a handful of 50+ winters. I think they had about 3-5, but I haven't checked recently.

I was referring more to where I live, I should have been more clear. BWI got 58.1" in 2002-03, including an amazing HECS.

But even Philly has probably not had more than a handful of 50+ winters. I think they had about 3-5, but I haven't checked recently.

And those 3-5 should be the only winters that get A's, IMHO. The best grades should be highly restricted. Bell curve.

I will need to look up the median snowfall in Philly, but I have trouble giving a winter with 20" there a B. Maybe a C+.

I pretty much agree with this...I think the average of 20" should be a C

And those 3-5 should be the only winters that get A's, IMHO. The best grades should be highly restricted. Bell curve.

Agree here again...

December: D, our biggest snow came from the storm where the LV was on the wrong side of the cutoff.

January: A, lots of light/moderate storms culminating with the big one. Would have been an A+ had I experienced thundersnow.

February: C, ice/rain and a short blowtorch, basically what you'd expect from a La Nina winter. Would have been a D if I didn't want it to get more wet than white.

Overall: B-, slightly more than average fell but it was frustrating dealing with the sharp cutoffs.

As we near the home stretch...what do you have so far?

For me...

December: F...very little snow and the only big event missed us.

January: B-...was good but lost points late when the other big event missed us.

February [so far]: C-...two decent winter events but boring weather otherwise

Overall: C-/D

I will agree with this. Has been a winter full of large disappointments but no large snowstorms. My mindset has changed now though and would like it to warm up. Those two days last week felt like summer and it was only 58.

Archived