• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 29th-30th Storm-All encompasing

The_Global_Warmer

Evolution of this system is going to be very tricky as the trough's energy is ejected in three distinct jet streaks and shortwaves. The first lifts a weakening low from Ern Co into the Upper Midwest, while the second develops a weak low across OK/Ne Tx and lifts it north-northeast into IL/Lower GL region, and finally the biggest wave at the base of the trough, which may be able to develop another wave on this already slow moving front. IMO, the final wave is the wild card on any frozen/freezing precip, while the first two are bigger rain-makers for the drought area than anything else.

Evolution of this system is going to be very tricky as the trough's energy is ejected in three distinct jet streaks and shortwaves. The first lifts a weakening low from Ern Co into the Upper Midwest, while the second develops a weak low across OK/Ne Tx and lifts it north-northeast into IL/Lower GL region, and finally the biggest wave at the base of the trough, which may be able to develop another wave on this already slow moving front. IMO, the final wave is the wild card on any frozen/freezing precip, while the first two are bigger rain-makers for the drought area than anything else.

Yeah, that was my thinking a few days ago. Glad to see it's endorsed by a met. It's been tough to get the EURO/GFS to get that 3rd wave east of the Apps but we'll see how it plays out.

CSN, where do you think that final low may go? Would this be near the OV area, or perhaps farther to the west in the great lakes? Thanks.

I think the best chance is for this whole system to look like a disjointed piece of crap, to put it lightly. The GEM/EC look a little too smoothed/glossed over and keep the first low as the dominant force when the dominant WAA, DPVA, and rich moisture flux on their own progs are clearly much further south after the initial burst of lee side cyclogenesis. And the last wave has a better chance of cutting towards the OV. The parent longwave is a bit too progressive for it to cut straight to the lakes, unless it were to slow down.

The wave is about to come onshore in the next 24 hours, during which I expect to see some musical chairs type shuffling with the models.

Monday Night: Periods of rain. Low around 34. Breezy, with a south wind 15 to 20 mph becoming south 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Tuesday: Rain and snow likely, becoming all snow after 9am. Cloudy, with a high near 35. Breezy, with a west wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to between 15 and 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Gotta start somewhere right?

DVN categorizes this storm as non-linear whatever that means. In their AFD they mention the models are still trying to play catchup with this thing. All models have been slowly trending towards a stronger secondary wave Monday night and Tuesday, which really deepens the surface low over Wisconsin Tue. If models continue this trend there could conceivably be an area of respectable snows in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Might need to start a severe weather threat, with some isolated severe weather possible, if it increases a thread may be needed

The limiting factor this go around is long fetch Gulf moisture, IMO. While not out of the question for a pop up severe threat, it appears marginal at best. Edit to add that E of the Mississippi may have a better chance this event.

I haven't been following this system from model run to model run, but it looks like the 12z NAM has developed more cold sector precip with this run...in particular places like NC Iowa, MSP, etc look pretty good for a nice hit of snow...of course assuming the NAM has a clue.

The GFS and RGEM are quicker with the evolution of the storm compared to the NAM. This has huge implications for western Iowa and southern Minnesota. The quicker solutions drop very little snow over these areas, whereas the NAM paints 3-6"+. You want to believe the GFS and the RGEM, since they make the NAM the outlier among the short range models. Also, the Euro seems a little quicker as well. However, the NAM may be on to something here. Going to be fun to watch.

The GFS and GEM both rotate areas of snow showers through eastern Iowa and northern Illinois Tuesday afternoon and night. May be enough for a light dusting in some areas. I'm actually pretty excited for this, as much of this area has yet to see a flake this season. Even here we only had about a 30 second shower of snow pellets and flurries.

The GFS and RGEM are quicker with the evolution of the storm compared to the NAM. This has huge implications for western Iowa and southern Minnesota. The quicker solutions drop very little snow over these areas, whereas the NAM paints 3-6"+. You want to believe the GFS and the RGEM, since they make the NAM the outlier among the short range models. Also, the Euro seems a little quicker as well. However, the NAM may be on to something here. Going to be fun to watch.

Sorta reminds me of our first snow event, where the NAM was hinting at a nice band of 10+ for a couple days straight, if we can get some consistency that would be nice..I see last nights 00z Euro moved its track back to the west, It will be interesting to see where it is today. Meanwhile I will enjoy my 40 degrees for now and watch my snow melt :(

SKOL VIKINGS! (even though we are now the laughing stock of the NFL)

Archived