• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 29th-30th Storm-All encompasing

The_Global_Warmer

Sorta reminds me of our first snow event, where the NAM was hinting at a nice band of 10+ for a couple days straight, if we can get some consistency that would be nice..I see last nights 00z Euro moved its track back to the west, It will be interesting to see where it is today. Meanwhile I will enjoy my 40 degrees for now and watch my snow melt :(

SKOL VIKINGS! (even though we are now the laughing stock of the NFL)

w mn got screwed including my area from that 1st event so maybe that area will cash in this time. :popcorn:

MPX has issued the 1st winter storm watch of the season in my area.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN HAS ISSUED

A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING

THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

* TIMING...SIGNIFICANT SNOW FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

* MAIN IMPACT...AROUND 6 INCHES OF SNOWFALL.

* OTHER IMPACTS...STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH LEADING

TO REDUCED VISIBILITIES AND BLOWING AND DRIFTING.

we shall see

This storm is a good case of a rather unimpressive looking upper level baroclinic wave, but the low level baroclinic zone is much more impressive. From an IPV thinking standpoint, a large amount of low level cyclogenesis...and now that the models are deepening the upper low as well later in the forecast period over MN, it seems all guidance are hitting on a much stronger storm. Also favorable is the signficant tilt with the mid level low...with the 700 hpa low displaced well west of the surface low in the cold air. I think western and parts of central MN will see some pretty respectable snow. Watch out though, in my experience these types of systems can end up farther W than initially simulated by the models. Given the models keep trending stronger, it is possible this shifts a tad W with time.

Pretty sweet conditions in Rapid City this morning...heavy snow and a 50MPH gust at last ob.

http://www.wundergro...eq_statename=NA

That is pretty sweet although 50 mph winds are pretty run of the mill at RCA/RAP due to their optimal geographic/topographic location with drainage winds off the Great Basin. That said, looks like a lovely day at Deadwood and Rapid.

post-999-0-46415600-1291050280.jpg

post-999-0-84198200-1291050317.jpg

That is pretty sweet although 50 mph winds are pretty run of the mill at RCA/RAP due to their optimal geographic/topographic location with drainage winds off the Great Basin. That said, looks like a lovely day at Deadwood and Rapid.

post-999-0-46415600-1291050280.jpg

post-999-0-84198200-1291050317.jpg

Good point about RAP and the winds.

And the webcam photo of Deadwood. wub.gif

Good point about RAP and the winds.

And the webcam photo of Deadwood. wub.gif

I agree, I wouldn't mind being there right now. I love the Black Hills too! Really neat area. One of the hardest terrain regions to forecast for both because the somewhat small size and the orientation of the terrain NW-SE. Whether the large scale flow is blocked by the terrain or simply flows around it (in stable NW flow) is very difficult to forecast. I remember a storm a couple years ago that dropped 3-4 feet of snow at Lead and an inch or so at Custer. lightning.gif

Man, Rapid City and the surrounding areas would be a very cool place to live. They see all phases of weather there, with wild swings in conditions over short periods of time.

Precip is really exploding in the warm sector from Arkansas to Iowa. The rain over southern Minnesota is beginning to take off as well. This will likely rotate northwestward into the colder air and transform into an area of enhanced snowfall later this afternoon.:snowman:

Archived