• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Severe Weather Threat in Dixie Alley/OV Feb 27 - Mar 1

Fred Gossage

Chased the storm in STL metro, just outside town on 70/270 JCT. Reported 70 mph winds to NWS STL. at our location, Tornadic portion of storm just to our north. Power flashes were seen in distance from tornado touchdown or high winds. Isolated pockets of higher winds. Several semis off road we observed and one on its side. Sporatic damage 25 miles down I-64 or so was some sporatic tree damage. Violent squall line complex in that area. Road side construction marker was in road, I clipped, 2nd car in team collected plastic barrel and done minor fendor damage to the vehicle. Caught up to Williamson Co. Storm where only 45 mph winds observed at Johnston City Near I-57. Pretty exciting night.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I really hope IND surveys Madison county, but I've seen no PNS or other info that says that's what they are planning.

Tornado in Madison County

A severe squall line early in the morning on February 28 produced a small, brief tornado in extreme southern Madison County just west of the town of Ingalls. The tornado began near county road 1050S, just west of county road 750W, pushing the roof off of a house. From there the tornado continued north, damaging a large barn up the hill north of the flooding Lick Creek. The tornado also destroyed a pole barn, damaged a home, and a 30 foot long trailer along county road 1000S. Further damage to trees occurred across the road from the pole barn before the tornado lifted. Based on the damage to the homes and barns, the tornado produced EF1 intensity damage with maximum winds estimated at just over 100 mph. The tornadoes path was just over a half mile long and around 200 feet wide.

In addition to the tornado damage, downburst straightline wind damage was also observed just south of the tornado touchdown near Woods Drive at State Road 67. Additional downburst straightline wind damage in the form of downed trees, limbs and powerlines occurred further southwest on State Road 67 in Fortville at Motel Road, Industrial Drive and just north and west of the downtown area.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=ind&storyid=64678&source=0

...PRELIMINARY NWS STORM SURVEY CONFIRMS EF2 TORNADO IN DUBOIS

COUNTY...

A NWS STORM SURVEY IN DUBOIS COUNTY INDIANA HAS CONFIRMED AN EF2

TORNADO WITH ESTIMATED WINDS OF 120 MPH. THE MOST SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE

WITH THIS TORNADO IS IN CELESTINE NEAR OFF OF ELLSWORTH ROAD. DAMAGE

INCLUDES ROOFS BLOW OFF TWO HOMES WITH THE WALLS COLLAPSED IN ONE

HOME. IN ADDITION A DOUBLE WIDE TRAILER WAS BLOWN OFF ITS FOUNDATION

AND A RV WAS TOSSED ACROSS THE ROAD. ONE MINOR INJURY WAS REPORTED.

THIS INFORMATION IS PRELIMINARY AT THIS TIME AND MAY CHANGE IN THE

FUTURE. PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR A FINAL REPORT ON THIS TORNADO.

Below is a radar image of the storm that produced this tornado this morning.

radmap_dubois.png

This occurred about 20 miles from me and we were tornado warned for the same storm and just guessing from damage reports passed about 10 miles south.

Was watching it come in and saw a report from Huntingburg Airport of a 99 mph gust. TV mets were saying 120 knots at 4000 ft at the time of the gust report.

Tornado in Madison County

A severe squall line early in the morning on February 28 produced a small, brief tornado in extreme southern Madison County just west of the town of Ingalls. The tornado began near county road 1050S, just west of county road 750W, pushing the roof off of a house. From there the tornado continued north, damaging a large barn up the hill north of the flooding Lick Creek. The tornado also destroyed a pole barn, damaged a home, and a 30 foot long trailer along county road 1000S. Further damage to trees occurred across the road from the pole barn before the tornado lifted. Based on the damage to the homes and barns, the tornado produced EF1 intensity damage with maximum winds estimated at just over 100 mph. The tornadoes path was just over a half mile long and around 200 feet wide.

In addition to the tornado damage, downburst straightline wind damage was also observed just south of the tornado touchdown near Woods Drive at State Road 67. Additional downburst straightline wind damage in the form of downed trees, limbs and powerlines occurred further southwest on State Road 67 in Fortville at Motel Road, Industrial Drive and just north and west of the downtown area.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=ind&storyid=64678&source=0

Make that the first tornado of 2011 in the state. Only 3 months earlier than last year :lol:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL

339 PM CST MON FEB 28 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BIRMINGHAM HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

EAST CENTRAL SHELBY COUNTY IN CENTRAL ALABAMA...

CENTRAL TALLADEGA COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL ALABAMA...

* UNTIL 415 PM CST

* AT 335 PM CST...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDICATED A SEVERE

THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS STORM

WAS LOCATED NEAR HARPERSVILLE...OR 8 MILES NORTHWEST OF

CHILDERSBURG...AND MOVING EAST AT 40 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

TALLADEGA...LOGAN MARTIN DAM...ALPINE...WINTERBORO...WALDO AND

IRONATON.

North side of Atlanta.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

432 PM EST MON FEB 28 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTHERN CHEROKEE COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA

NORTHERN COBB COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA

SOUTHERN BARTOW COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

NORTHEASTERN PAULDING COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

* UNTIL 500 PM EST

* AT 430 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR

CARTERSVILLE...MOVING EAST AT 60 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

EMERSON...ACWORTH...WOODSTOCK AND HOLLY SPRINGS.

<br />I can verify its real. Some damage had TOR indications. Also had trees topped about 25' up. 30' travel trailer thrown 100yds also. I spent some time in the closet on storm 2. 120mph velocity went overhead. No damage here. Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk<br />

EF1 tornado confirmed. There were no Warnings on this storm when it happened.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Everything in our area is covered in dust/mud from Texas! I have seen this only once before. Apparently the dust was carried up here by the jet stream and mixed in with the rain at the end of the event. Lots of people in the region reporting that their cars were covered this morning - mine included. It is on the house and everywhere. Quite odd

Same thing here after this morning and early afternoon's storms and rain, my truck was covered in fine dust. I had my suspicions, but geez, very interesting.

NWS Louisville confirms an EF-3 tornado near Eminence in Henry County Kentucky east of Louisville Feb. 28.

Yes, the survey came out yesterday and I guess tornadotony got it on his list for this year. I wonder if he mentioned it in another topic. Never found any other information in regards to this tornado in another topic.

Pretty good outbreak when looking back upon it now, 31 tornadoes is a solid outbreak.

Not a bad number of tornadoes, as well as other wind damage reports. As mentioned earlier, it was a bust in the moderate risk area. A pretty good event in the slight risk area though.

Likely only picture of the Granite City Tornado intercept. Our team member Ann Hill captured this on her dash cam from a still grab. Pretty tornado with debris cloud. New Meso appeared to spin up SW most likely caused Troy damage later, we got close enough for hail there. Pea sized our location and 70+ mph winds reported to NWS STL. Storm motion was very fast. 60-70 mph. First catch of season.

post-426-0-90218400-1299275239.jpg

Archived