• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Severe Weather Threat in Dixie Alley/OV Feb 27 - Mar 1

Fred Gossage

Thought I would go ahead and start a thread on the second, possibly more significant severe weather threat for most of Dixie Alley... with the system coming early next week. Medium range models show a powerful system with a rich Gulf flow... but there are questions. The GFS doesn't show much instability in its raw output... but the synoptic things that would be there for bigger instability... like a morning cap and EML, cool mid-level temps, etc.... are there. It should be noted that the 12Z Euro is substantially warmer than the GFS through the whole warm sector... with areas almost to Evansville, IN reaching 70F, definitely as far north as Paducah, KY.... 75F to Dyersburg and almost Nashville... and 80F+ to Jackson, MS... but with the same dynamics and dewpoints as the GFS. FWIW, the 18Z DGEX also strongly backs up the surface temperatures that the 12Z ECMWF depicts. Take this into account, and modify the GFS soundings with those Euro sfc temps.... and you get a large, wide, moderate to significantly unstable warm sector... with a large area of MS/TN/AL having SBCAPE of 1000-1500+ and LIs of -4 to -6. Obviously, this is a week out... and many questions remain unanswered... and will remain unanswered for a few more days at least... but between Thursday and this one next week... this one looks more significant for most of the Dixie Alley states.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had my eye on this one as well, and agree that this has a higher ceiling. I too am a bit perplexed at the low instability fields being progged by the GFS, even considering it's low long-range bias in the past. Many of the soundings in the warm sector possess a well-defined elevated mixed layer (even on the 00z ECMWF's bowling-ball solution). And the areal coverage of the 60F dewpoints progged is massive for an early-season severe event.

12Z GFS is a lot faster than the Euro, and seems to like Eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas...

GFSCN_CE2011022212F132.gif

Hint of a warm/dry nose on the FSM sounding then around 750 mb, but its subtle, and might prevent premature detonation. Excellent mid level instability and pretty good shear. Of course,a forecast skew-T for 5 days away, especially when there appears to be timing issues between the GFS and Euro, is for entertainment purposes only.

post-138-0-28054400-1298398070.gif

Quite simply put, the 12Z run of the Euro is a high impact severe weather event Monday across AR/LA/KY/TN/MS/AL. Tornadoes would be a good bit over a very large area. This run has Nashville hitting 75-77F Monday afternoon... BHM and TCL hitting 80F... with widespread 65+ dewpoints and a well-defined, widespread elevated mixed layer.

We seem to be getting better agreement with time between the GFS and ECMWF... in terms of a very dynamic system... with a rapidly deepening low pressure that tracks into the Ohio Valley.... with a large, wide warm sector. However, the GFS is still 12-18 hours faster than the ECMWF. I can't help but remember past events a few years ago where the GFS would have the same synoptic setup as the Euro.... but be up to a day faster.... only to trend slower toward the Euro... once we get within 48-72 hours of the event. Only mentioning it since the CIPS system from SLU has it as a top 500-mb analog... but Super Tuesday is one such example.

We seem to be getting better agreement with time between the GFS and ECMWF... in terms of a very dynamic system... with a rapidly deepening low pressure that tracks into the Ohio Valley.... with a large, wide warm sector. However, the GFS is still 12-18 hours faster than the ECMWF. I can't help but remember past events a few years ago where the GFS would have the same synoptic setup as the Euro.... but be up to a day faster.... only to trend slower toward the Euro... once we get within 48-72 hours of the event. Only mentioning it since the CIPS system from SLU has it as a top 500-mb analog... but Super Tuesday is one such example.

What are your thoughts regarding whether this trough might be too dynamic and amplified for a large-scale tornado outbreak? If you gave me just the 500 mb chart, I would say it is too amplified. However, looking at the huge mid-level dry punch through the warm sector in the morning hours and the numerous forecast soundings showing a well-defined elevated mixed layer, this one could be different.

What are your thoughts regarding whether this trough might be too dynamic and amplified for a large-scale tornado outbreak? If you gave me just the 500 mb chart, I would say it is too amplified. However, looking at the huge mid-level dry punch through the warm sector in the morning hours and the numerous forecast soundings showing a well-defined elevated mixed layer, this one could be different.

The 00Z GFS is a little sharp, definitely. However.... the Euro isn't quite as intensely sharp... especially when you start looking at vertical velocities and the low amplitude nature of the actual isotachs. When you go back and look at March 1, 1997... the actual wind barbs are of a lot lower amplitude than the curve of the height contours within the middle of the trough.... and with the Euro, at least... that may be the case here too. Then... with the GFS and ECMWF.... there's also the large EML plume across the warm sector.... It would be more doable with this trough... than with a lot of other events with sharp troughs. I think the biggest question with this whole setup is the timing of the system. My initial thoughts right now... watch for the GFS to slow down in coming days.

pretty big difference between the 0z and 12z runs of the GFS, on the new run were getting a small northern stream vort to come down out of Canada and phase with the the southern stream system. You can clearly see it between 66-78hr. On the 12z run it completely misses the northern vort and brings it across the upper MW while the southern wave hangs back in southern california. This phasing speeds it up /makes it more progessive and not slower like the 12z run has it. This new run would be big severe weather maker with the huge warm sector and rapidly deepening low, going to be very interesting to see how this plays out for sure. The 12z Euro looks like its even slower and not having a phase like the new GFS.

pretty big difference between the 0z and 12z runs of the GFS, on the new run were getting a small northern stream vort to come down out of Canada and phase with the the southern stream system. You can clearly see it between 66-78hr. On the 12z run it completely misses the northern vort and brings it across the upper MW while the southern wave hangs back in southern california. This phasing speeds it up /makes it more progessive and not slower like the 12z run has it. This new run would be big severe weather maker with the huge warm sector and rapidly deepening low, going to be very interesting to see how this plays out for sure. The 12z Euro looks like its even slower and not having a phase like the new GFS.

Could that be a case of the Euro holding back energy in the Southwest?

00Z Euro is faster. 00Z GFS is faster. All of today's GFS ensembles were faster than the op GFS and Euro. They would have you believe it's a Sunday afternoon/night threat on I-65.... with the same kind of parameters... just 24 hours sooner than the 12Z Euro. Still a lot of details to look out. Regardless.... a dynamic system with a wide, high quality warm sector AND elevated mixed layer plume.... looks like a good bet. Timing is the big question mark.

IMBY, the 20ºC on the Euro Sunday late afternoon strongly suggests capped, as does the positive tilt.

The quick look, 60 knot 850 mb jet looks dangerous to me.

msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!144!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2011022300!!chart.gif

Not sure on directional shear being super high as Euro getting toward stacked.

msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!144!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2011022300!!chart.gif

Hard to tell from the Euro, but it sort of looks like it is suggesting a squall line, maybe with embedded supercells, and I wouldn't be surprised if the most active severe was before peak heating between these two 24 hour snapshots.

f144.gif

Quite honestly, after looking at all the evening guidance... even that faster Euro above may be too slow. EVERYTHING sped up tonight. GFS, GFS ensembles, Euro, Canadian, UKMET, NOGAPS, even the Japanese model. With the exception of the op GFS and Euro... that MAY be playing catch-up... this MIGHT end up being a Sunday afternoon/night event for TN/MS/AL... as opposed to the earlier thinking of Monday. It's usually not wise to make wholesale changes this far ahead of time, but you can't ignore it when EVERY scrap of guidance in the solar system does the same exact thing (and on a major run time.... not an 18Z or 6Z). Having said this.... even with an earlier timing... it's still a significant event.

Ed, as for the positive tilt concern and possibly being more favorable for a squall line event.... I urge you to look for a thread I wrote a little while back in this sub-forum about violent tornado outbreaks by trough tilt for Alabama. Some of our most violent tornado outbreaks in this state's history.... have happened with positive tilt troughs.

Quite honestly, after looking at all the evening guidance... even that faster Euro above may be too slow. EVERYTHING sped up tonight. GFS, GFS ensembles, Euro, Canadian, UKMET, NOGAPS, even the Japanese model. With the exception of the op GFS and Euro... that MAY be playing catch-up... this MIGHT end up being a Sunday afternoon/night event for TN/MS/AL... as opposed to the earlier thinking of Monday. It's usually not wise to make wholesale changes this far ahead of time, but you can't ignore it when EVERY scrap of guidance in the solar system does the same exact thing (and on a major run time.... not an 18Z or 6Z). Having said this.... even with an earlier timing... it's still a significant event.

Ed, as for the positive tilt concern and possibly being more favorable for a squall line event.... I urge you to look for a thread I wrote a little while back in this sub-forum about violent tornado outbreaks by trough tilt for Alabama. Some of our most violent tornado outbreaks in this state's history.... have happened with positive tilt troughs.

It's interesting to see that the Euro is keeping this pretty positively-tilted until at least Monday morning. This really helps ensure sufficient directional shear over the warm sector for the Sunday evening/overnight event. Also, with this kind of orientation, forcing for vertical motion is more diffuse.

The Euro remains slightly slower than the GFS and UKMET. It's pretty clear that the main event will be from Sunday afternoon to Monday morning, and it continues to look like a high-impact event.

Sone of the analogs coming from the CIPS Winter Analog guidance at St. Louis University on the past couple of runs.... are interesting to say the least.

We have 2/5/08, 11/27/94, 1/21/99, 3/1/97, 3/1/07, 1/10/08, 11/24/01... 2/5/08 showed up on two different perturbations (kinda like individual ensemble members) toward the upper part of the list... and one of those.... it made it to the top of the list. It's interesting to note that ALL of those included F3-F4 damage.

Sone of the analogs coming from the CIPS Winter Analog guidance at St. Louis University on the past couple of runs.... are interesting to say the least.

We have 2/5/08, 11/27/94, 1/21/99, 3/1/97, 3/1/07, 1/10/08, 11/24/01... 2/5/08 showed up on two different perturbations (kinda like individual ensemble members) toward the upper part of the list... and one of those.... it made it to the top of the list. It's interesting to note that ALL of those included F3-F4 damage.

Yeah I recognize some of those dates immediately :)

Archived