Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking at this point this one will track farther north and west than the last several operational GFS runs. Why? The 500 mb shortwave trough takes on a slight negative tilt. Global models, especially the GFS, struggle with the low level forcing and latent heat/convective elements as a more dynamical neg tilt scenario unfolds... and normally have the sfc/850 mb displaced too far to the south and east.

And more obvious reasons would be the Euro's solution and for the fact that the GEFS is farther northwest (as Hoosier mentioned above).

So...I'm thinking a rain event for LAF/me/DET/OH crew. Wintry stuff from Chicago and northwest.

I'm thinking at this point this one will track farther north and west than the last several operational GFS runs. Why? The 500 mb shortwave trough takes on a slight negative tilt. Global models, especially the GFS, struggle with the low level forcing and latent heat/convective elements as a more dynamical neg tilt scenario unfolds... and normally have the sfc/850 mb displaced too far to the south and east.

And more obvious reasons would be the Euro's solution and for the fact that the GEFS is farther northwest (as Hoosier mentioned above).

So...I'm thinking a rain event for LAF/me/DET/OH crew. Wintry stuff from Chicago and northwest.

I suspected as such but was hopeful some good fortune might shine on me/us.

lol, we don't have to worry about sleet with this one. Nor snow for that matter...but I know what you mean. If I never saw sleet again, I'd be happy. Alas, we all know this one is ticketed for places farther north. Rinse, wash, repeat. What a miserable finish to winter for us...

0z GFS shows a significant snowfall for north-central Indiana, looks plenty cold with the low tracking over Ohio. I suspect the banding will become much more widespread on models as we approach the event, as this is a very powerful storm with a huge temperature gradient over the Plains.

Archived