Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking at this point this one will track farther north and west than the last several operational GFS runs. Why? The 500 mb shortwave trough takes on a slight negative tilt. Global models, especially the GFS, struggle with the low level forcing and latent heat/convective elements as a more dynamical neg tilt scenario unfolds... and normally have the sfc/850 mb displaced too far to the south and east.

And more obvious reasons would be the Euro's solution and for the fact that the GEFS is farther northwest (as Hoosier mentioned above).

So...I'm thinking a rain event for LAF/me/DET/OH crew. Wintry stuff from Chicago and northwest.

That sounds like a good analysis to me. I was kind of hoping that this would hook enough to pull some severe action north of the OH river. I will be in Southern IN Thursday and Friday for a workshop called "Weather for Emergency Managers". Maybe we can get some real-time severe to analyze.

The 00z Euro is colder than the the 12z run has been. Still warm but it closed the gap.

The key of this storm is how quickly the northern stream piece can move along and where the front will lay for the southern stream piece to ride up the front. I think somewhere close to the Euro 00z run might end up being correct in the end, The GFS is too far south/flat with it ejecting out.

DTX

A SPLIT FLOW REGIME WILL THEN EXIST TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY...WITHSOUTHEAST MICHIGAN CAUGHT IN BETWEEN THE TWO BRANCHES. THE NORTHERNAND SOUTHERN BRANCHES OF THE JET WILL THEN TRY TO CONVERGE ON THEAREA ON THURSDAY...AND LATEST INDICATIONS ARE A NORTHERN STREAMWAVE/TROUGH WILL PUSH THROUGH FIRST OR ARRIVE AT THE SAMETIME...WITH MOISTURE RICH SOUTHERN WAVE TRACKING JUST SOUTHEAST OFLOWER MICHIGAN THURSDAY NIGHT...WITH DEFORMATION ZONE LINING UP OVERUS (PER 00Z EUROPEAN/ENSEMBLE CLUSTERING). HAVE BUMPED UP POPSTHURSDAY NIGHT TO 50 PERCENT AND WILL MENTION THE POSSIBILITY OFACCUMULATING SNOW IN HWO...ALTHOUGH THE POSSIBILITY OF A MIX OFPRECIPITATION IS CERTAINLY ON THE TABLE AS WELL.FRIDAY AND BEYOND..UNCERTAINLY WITH THE AMOUNT OF ARCTIC AIRADVANCING EAST...AS POSITIVITY TILTED LONGWAVE WAVE TROUGH LOOKSRELUCTANT TO EXIT OUT OF THE WESTERN CONUS...WITH LARGE SURFACEHIGH HOLDING OVER THE NORTHERN ROCKIES.

Seems like the low that goes through canada warms things up a bit, blocks it from cutting, thus it looks like mostly a rain storm with very little in the cold sector. Alot of mets talking about the severe weather potential with this. If we can get the tornadoes to come up into the cold air we could get a snownado :snowman:

Archived