• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb. 19th-22nd Winter Storm Part 2

wisconsinwx

Could be the case where the second wave ends up stronger than the first? Still can't help but think of the dec 19 2008 storm as far as track and precip issues. Also I hope the same doesnt occur as with the feb 1st storm where it went further NW as time got closer. This first wave and the baroclinic zone doesnt seem as impressive so we will see.

Maybe Patrick can update his thoughts about this. Only the 12z UKIE and a few GEFS members are indicating the second wave being strong and far enough north to affect us to any appreciable degree. I would think the confluence left behind from the first storm would tend to shear the second wave to the south.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Patrick can update his thoughts about this. Only the 12z UKIE and a few GEFS members are indicating the second wave being strong and far enough north to affect us to any appreciable degree. I would think the confluence left behind from the first storm would tend to shear the second wave to the south.

\

Yea I would agree and I questioned the euro yesterday and a little today with the second wave being so far north. It's rare that no model has really led the way so far. They all have had diffrences, (some more than others) each run. It's good to see them trending a little south and colder each time.

I am happy I am out of this one. The models will struggle to the end for the exact placement of the "wintry" weather. If you are on the edge, it will be annoying lol.

At this point I'm just trying to convince myself that anything from here on out is just a bonus, and I shouldn't try to labor over the specifics of the models. Unfortunately, it's not working that well.

This would be correct, there isn't enough wave separation between the two, so those areas that are getting QPF bullseyes with the second system need to watch the evolution of it because those amounts probably will be going down. Unless the first piece is substantially weaker than the second piece is the more dominant one, which is still possible though doesn't look likely right now.

Nope, it is the 18z nam. Unless is shows a major trend change, who cares.

Sometimes the NAM gets credence when it seems to be catching on to something other guidance does not--this is not one of those cases. The NAM has been struggling mightily lately with high profile storms--more so than in the past.

La Crosse

THE CONFIDENCE LEVEL HAS EXCEEDED THE 50 PERCENT THRESHOLD FOR

REACHING WINTER STORM WARNING CRITERIA BASED ON SNOWFALL NEAR THE

I-90 CORRIDOR AND NORTH....AND THE ICING POTENTIAL IN THE SOUTH.

WE COULD SEE 0.25 INCHES OF GLAZE ICE IN THE SOUTHERN AREA

SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY MORNING...THEN A WARMING TO RAIN SUNDAY AFTERNOON.

SO IT APPEARS THAT PERIOD IS MOST CRITICAL FOR NORTHEAST IA AND

SWRN WI.

IF THE STORM TRACKS FURTHER SOUTH...HEAVY SNOW WILL BE PLACED

SOUTH OF I-90 AND INTO NERN IA AND SWRN WI. THUS...ENTIRE AREA

WILL BE UNDER A WATCH.

Just pushed out 19Z SmartModel output, added some more cities across SD, MN areas. Right now seeing some impressive snowfall potential: Pontiac and Grand Rapids area looking at a potential for 15" of snowfall on the 20th. Aberdeen and Rapid City looking around 8-11" for the 19-20. Chicago area only looking for around 3-5" of snowfall.

Just pushed out 19Z SmartModel output, added some more cities across SD, MN areas. Right now seeing some impressive snowfall potential: Pontiac and Grand Rapids area looking at a potential for 15" of snowfall on the 20th. Aberdeen and Rapid City looking around 8-11" for the 19-20. Chicago area only looking for around 3-5" of snowfall.

Well I hope your home made model is correct.

I like the detail in MKX's AFD that just came out. They're thinking north of a Madison to Port Washington line will see WSW criteria of heavy snow or freezing rain. Hence, they will issue watches for this area. For the moment, Waukesha County south and east will not be under watches and warnings, but I suspect they will at least end up with WWA.

do you mean bong or model?:yikes:

Archived