• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
2011 - Mid-Atlantic Severe Storm Thread

Kmlwx

Chase is on. Departure is ASAP (but that means around noon) from Germantown. Target is E. of I-81, west of I-70. We'll likely start south...work our way north. Hoping we'll be in the prime target by 3pm and be able to do some sit-n-wait for initiation.

Today is gonna be an uber-challenge because of the mountain ridges. But the dynamics (per the RUC) are good enough today to justify the fuel expense. A little more organized today I think...and better Sprint coverage....so the stream should be up longer, better, etc. I may even try a different camera for better video quality (the 3CCD Panosonic I got).

You know the link...it's in my sig. Probably have things rolling on the stream ~2pm to 3pm.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Thursday seems to have some potential but it's obviously too far out for now.

LWX afternoon discussion -

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY/...

HIPRES MOVES OFF THE EAST COAST WED NGT AS AN UPPER LOW OVER THE

GREAT LAKES/OH VLY APPROACHES THU INTO FRI. THU HAS THE POTENTIAL TO

BE AN INTERESTING WEATHER DAY...ESPECIALLY IF THE 12Z GFS SOLUTION

COMES TO FRUITION. THIS MODEL RUN DEPICTS SFC LOPRES CROSSING THE

CENTRAL APPALACHIANS WHILE A WARM FRONT IS SITUATED OVER THE AREA.

STILL TOO MANY UNCERTAINTIES AND VARIABLES THIS FAR OUT TO JUMP ON A

SIGNIFICANT SEVERE WEATHER THREAT ESPECIALLY WITH LARGE DIFFERENCES

BETWEEN MEDIUM-RANGE MODELS. THE LOW AND ASSOCIATED FRONT MAY SLOW

DOWN AS IT APPROACHES THE COAST TOWARD THE END OF THE WORK WEEK. DUE

TO THE HIGH UNCERTAINTY IN TIMING OF THIS SYSTEM...HAVE KEPT LOW

CHANCE POPS IN THE FORECAST INTO FRI. ONCE THE LOW DEPARTS...WEAK

HIPRES TRIES TO BUILD IN AT THE SFC SOMETIME NEXT WEEKEND.

WITH MEAN TROUGHING OVER THE ERN CONUS...NEAR NORMAL TEMPS ARE

EXPECTED THRUOUT THE PERIOD AND NO BIG HEAT WAVE IS IN SIGHT.

&&

With a warm front near the area wouldn't that suggest a potential for an elevated tornado threat?

Thursday seems to have some potential but it's obviously too far out for now.

LWX afternoon discussion -

With a warm front near the area wouldn't that suggest a potential for an elevated tornado threat?

Yes probably. GFS does look good... I'd maybe want the low a bit more w but can't be picky.

thurs potential seems to have gone downhill... euro maybe gives us a little warm front action (prob not exciting) late wed then tries to torch us again.. gfs holds off the torch a little longer

thurs potential seems to have gone downhill... euro maybe gives us a little warm front action (prob not exciting) late wed then tries to torch us again.. gfs holds off the torch a little longer

I guess given that it's still several days out we still have time - but those are definitely not good trends.

Doesn't look like it gets hot again until next week on the GFS. Pretty nice all this week.

Doesn't look like it gets hot again until next week on the GFS. Pretty nice all this week.

Yeah it holds the upper ridge at bay longer. Its a question of when not if. ;)

this is a pretty map

nam_500_048m.gif

thurs has some real potential--looks pretty messy throughout much of the day though, so not sure we can totally realize it. would like the 500 wave to be a bit stronger too, might get a more defined surface reflection going etc. some time to fine tune though... talk of morning action then evening action. those are the big days. ;):P

weekend ridge riders? i dunno if we get those anymore.

this is a pretty map

thurs has some real potential--looks pretty messy throughout much of the day though, so not sure we can totally realize it. would like the 500 wave to be a bit stronger too, might get a more defined surface reflection going etc. some time to fine tune though... talk of morning action then evening action. those are the big days. ;):P

weekend ridge riders? i dunno if we get those anymore.

Well we still have time :\

Are we talking Tor potential or damaging winds?

I think the Thursday threat will depend on how fast we can destabilize... though i did read in the LWX morning disco that both the GFS/NAM have a MCS dropping southward through our area... we'll see

Agreed - heard the same thing about the destabilization from the morning weather guy

So given that we are crawling closer and closer to 1000 posts - do we just let this one keep running or do I have to start a new one?

i dont think it really matters especially in a relatively quiet thread

both the 12z hi res ncep models look decent.. details to be worked out. how far north we get things might be a question... if we can get some sun/warmth a few supercells might be wandering for a while.

both the 12z hi res ncep models look decent.. details to be worked out. how far north we get things might be a question... if we can get some sun/warmth a few supercells might be wandering for a while.

You are also a big persistence forecaster - and since we have been getting the DC shaft lately I think it would be prudent to believe there will be nothing in or north of DC. Would be very fitting.

You are also a big persistence forecaster - and since we have been getting the DC shaft lately I think it would be prudent to believe there will be nothing in or north of DC. Would be very fitting.

This system is quite the different beast compared to what we have been seeing, though... what plays out is up for grabs. I'm not exactly "charged and ready to go" chase-wise, but I'm keeping an eye on it for the time being.

Archived