• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
MW / OV / GLs Mid Winter Wrap-up

SpartyOn

Any thoughts or forecasts for the remainder of the winter.

Sticking with typical nina climatology one would think we should experience cooler than normal temps and higher chances for above normal precip through the reminder of calender winter gradually tapering down by mid April. Not sure about huge events but to think a large wet storm capable of producing in excess of 6 inches of cement type snow certainly looks feasible and severe weather could also become a factor as we roll into late March into April. No reason not to think a very fast and active NW flow continues after the thaw next week. Should be a fun 4 weeks at least. Also March and April historically tend to feature north Atlantic blocking often.

Sticking with typical nina climatology one would think we should experience cooler than normal temps and higher chances for above normal precip through the reminder of calender winter gradually tapering down by mid April. Not sure about huge events but to think a large wet storm capable of producing in excess of 6 inches of cement type snow certainly looks feasible and severe weather could also become a factor as we roll into late March into April. No reason not to think a very fast and active NW flow continues after the thaw next week. Should be a fun 4 weeks at least. Also March and April historically tend to feature north Atlantic blocking often.

I'm not hoping for a cool summer around here, the way the pattern is, and has been would not surprise me.

My call is a warmup for 2 weeks starting around the 16th for the OV which will last for around a week and a half to two weeks. Big storm between the 22nd and 25th for someone in the Midwest or Ohio Valley

My Birthday is the 22nd! Would be awesome to get a major winter storm around my birthday. Hope your right but it's always has been warm on my bday. I was born on a day where record highs were everywhere in Kentucky. LOL.

My Birthday is the 22nd! Would be awesome to get a major winter storm around my birthday. Hope your right but it's always has been warm on my bday. I was born on a day where record highs were everywhere in Kentucky. LOL.

Hey I could be way off. LOL. just my best guess. I am nearly positive that winter will make a comeback after a two week warmup.

Hey I could be way off. LOL. just my best guess. I am nearly positive that winter will make a comeback after a two week warmup.

Oh, I know, no worries. I do think we will have a two week period of winter but I think it will be the first two weeks of March. I see a few 70 degrees day in my future, which I won't mind especially with everybody whining to me about the snow today and more on Wednesday. That will get them to calm down.

Oh, I know, no worries. I do think we will have a two week period of winter but I think it will be the first two weeks of March. I see a few 70 degrees day in my future, which I won't mind especially with everybody whining to me about the snow today and more on Wednesday. That will get them to calm down.

I dont worry about what people say. Some people hate snow and winter, other (like most here) love it, which is what led me here. I wouldnt mind a few warm days in the 60's though. Would give me a chance to wash the salt off my car.

Dilly-

You can have that big storm you think is coming..its all yours!

I SHOVELED the salt out of my garage. Its disgusting. First 50F day and the hose is coming out (not the schlong) and i'm spraying the car and the garage out...I'll spray the snowbanks too and i'll melt everything. If I have to i'll do karate kicks in the driveway.

I believe as soon as the warm up ends, there will be a favorable -PNA/Modified SE Ridge pattern which will bring inland runners to parts of the Great Lakes/Midwest/Upper OV/ and possibly into the Upper New England Area. It's going to become real favorable, especially if there is cold air access in the Upper Midwest/Plains & Correct Pacific Blocking configuration. We'll see what happens, but the potential is there...

Dilly-

You can have that big storm you think is coming..its all yours!

I SHOVELED the salt out of my garage. Its disgusting. First 50F day and the hose is coming out (not the schlong) and i'm spraying the car and the garage out...I'll spray the snowbanks too and i'll melt everything. If I have to i'll do karate kicks in the driveway.

Yea, I have 2 outside dogs I use half of the garage for them during the winter, and I am sure theyve had accidents in there, so I need to spray the floor down in there as well.

I dont worry about what people say. Some people hate snow and winter, other (like most here) love it, which is what led me here. I wouldnt mind a few warm days in the 60's though. Would give me a chance to wash the salt off my car.

Haha! Well the problem is nobody likes snow around here, and probably that because we aren't north enough to get a lot of snow but we aren't far enough south to get lots of warm days during the winter. They want snow to cancel classes, well my University has a policy of staying open no matter what except for extreme cases like today. So I'm a loner when it comes to snow at least in terms of my friends.

hoping for a rapid snow melt and to be chasing IL warm fronts in the first week of march :thumbsup:

I'm gonna be interested to see if this upcoming pattern can produce anything (talking in general, not necessarily the OV/GL area). Severe has been kept in check so far in large part due to frequent eastern troughing. I don't know about early March but later March into April is when I'd have my guard up in this region. That time period has featured some very significant outbreaks in Nina years. Still a bit early to get a good feel for spring.

I'm gonna be interested to see if this upcoming pattern can produce anything (talking in general, not necessarily the OV/GL area). Severe has been kept in check so far in large part due to frequent eastern troughing. I don't know about early March but later March into April is when I'd have my guard up in this region. That time period has featured some very significant outbreaks in Nina years. Still a bit early to get a good feel for spring.

Yea, I wish I could go storm chasing. I do if there are tornado warnings nearby, but cant go on big chases like some of you guys do. My wife wont allow it lol.

Take her with you. :P

HAHA. I cant even get her to go walk in the snow with me, let alone chase a tornado. Although I did convince her to ride with me and look at the damage done by the octobomb. She hates any type of weather that isnt sunny. But she does prefer the snow over rain/sleet/zr.. I think to love weather as much as some of us do, we were just born this way. LOL

HAHA. I cant even get her to go walk in the snow with me, let alone chase a tornado. Although I did convince her to ride with me and look at the damage done by the octobomb. She hates any type of weather that isnt sunny. But she does prefer the snow over rain/sleet/zr.. I think to love weather as much as some of us do, we were just born this way. LOL

Sounds like all of us are in the same boat. My friends say I'm obsessed with the weather. Sure I am, but it's a hobby. A fun hobby at that. Although most of my friends love thunderstorms so that is a plus. I'll take active weather over sunny. Last summer was hell for me.

Looks like a more typical nina pattern setting up? This might mean more up and down temps and storminess. Snows been on the ground all but 4 days since beginning of December, deepest snowpack in 11 years, and above normal snowfall so far including a few major snowstorms...this winter is on pace to get an "A" grade from me.

Looks like a more typical nina pattern setting up? This might mean more up and down temps and storminess. Snows been on the ground all but 4 days since beginning of December, deepest snowpack in 11 years, and above normal snowfall so far including a few major snowstorms...this winter is on pace to get an "A" grade from me.

Good for you! I am having a tough time with a grade for my area this winter. I was thinking about it last night. It will depend on how things play out the rest of the season, but right now I am thinking a C-. I mean it is tough to give it a real lousy grade b/c funny enough, we have not had a storm of greater than 5 inches, but have maintained somewhat of a snow cover for most of the winter. Weird.

haha! My wife is the same way. She doesn't like the weather because she's a "walking barometer". She can predict when a storm is coming because her sinuses get all messed up. She likes sunny, sunny and more sunny weather. However, now that we live along Lake Michigan, I can actually get her to go on walks with me IN THE WINTER (a huge feat) because she loves seeing the ice bergs along the lakeshore. Try moving to a Great Lake...and then maybe your wife will walk with you. :)

Nah man lets hold off until March 15th, lets have a nice big lion storm around the first then call it a winter.

We have a some time before spring roars in..I like the mid Feb - March 1st time frame for a big storm. Heck that clipper coming next week still looking as if it wants to pack a punch.

Hi Hoosier,

Was wondering what are you seeing severe wise this spring. I think 2008-09 was rather slow that year if memory serves me right (weak nina) , not only around me but for the US as a whole. Any ideas what might occur around me say Mar into Apr? I know -NAO are notorious during those months, is it best to keep an eye on the PDA more and the AO or all 3 indicies? If you have some clues please share them, I'm garnering ideas for my landscape business and last year both you and Don Sutherland allowed me to plan in advanced, hire enough people and do some great things. Would love a peek into the future..thank you!

Archived